How much is the most you would pay to play in a Pool Tournment.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My personal limit is $5.00-$7.00, after that if I have no chance of placing in money I am done.

Use to enjoy a local bar 9 ball Tournment on Tuesday night, was $5.00 entry, splitting bar box fee of $.50/game.

If you won it was never much more then $100.00, but it was simple fun.

I really enjoy watching better players and especially like playing players that I know are better than me. That said, I'd enter a local tourney or a makeshift Saturday tourney at my local room for $20. While I understand the enjoyment from bar tourneys, it's not my cup of tea. I'm sure the occasional player comes that can shoot well enough but I'd rather play at a decent pool hall with consistent action from players who take the game a little more seriously

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Normally I play every week and I pay $20 to enter. I've gotten fortunate and I've cashed in my last 5 times playing. But I think that I would probably pay up to a $100 entry fee.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the first I just donated $250 at one and a month later donated another $200. I just need to play better🛩

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
For the first I just donated $250 at one and a month later donated another $200. I just need to play better🛩

You need to choose tournament you have chance in getting money back.

Your trying to be a big shot, saving I cand go three round with Mike Tyson, and will get money if I am standing after 3 rounds.

Mile I bet will kick your a**, why be foolish.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your trying to be a big shot, saving I cand go three round with Mike Tyson, and will get money if I am standing after 3 rounds.

So much of the tournament is luck of the draw and playing good at the right time which I failed at. I did beat one guy gambling that placed in the money. I got to see many of my friends and I enjoyed that.

PS. I used to be really good at $5 tournaments🤪

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Actually you don't. It's called a hobby not a profession for amateurs.

Played amateur baseball for 25 years and never made a dime. Played games 2-3 times a week. Travelled to a 1-2 tournaments around the US every year. Had a blast. Probably spent $30K plus on baseball league fees, tournament entrance fee's, equipment, and hotel and airfare costs over those 30 years. Worth every penny. Oh, and add the torn ACL from my last game played, and then I have medical expenses on top of that $30K. lol

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I paid 130 each for three events in the barbox in Reno and it was the best value I've ever had.

Everything was cheap there including the rooms which were a short walk and an elevator ride away from the ENORMOUS room the diamond tables were in. Never had to look at your back or worry about who was playing next to you to play your game the tables were spaced out so far.

One day we went upstairs and bought a fifth of whiskey at the shop and brought it down to the room and gambled on the nine foot tables set up from the (i believe) the US open one pocket tournament held simultaneously. No one gave us a second look.

Got to play pros who schooled me and amateurs I could beat all in the same events.

Then it was moved to Vegas and the good times were over for good with this event.

Anyone who ever got to attend the barbox's in Reno has to agree it was kick ass.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banger level older player that does not get to practice much....
Our local bar 8B weekly tournament is $10 & worth it for the social connections as well as the competition.
In the winter when there is more time to practice throughout the week, i sometimes place high enough to get my entry money back. :)
Someone said they don't like bar tournaments because of lack of seriousness and better players?
Ours includes a few Fargo 600 - 650 ranked players. Run-back option gets used often enough - 4 times the last one i attended about 6 weeks ago.

smt

middleofnowhere

Registered
My personal limit is $5.00-$7.00, after that if I have no chance of placing in money I am done.

Use to enjoy a local bar 9 ball Tournment on Tuesday night, was $5.00 entry, splitting bar box fee of $.50/game.

If you won it was never much more then $100.00, but it was simple fun.
Most I have paid was$300.00 at Reds in Texas. Figure airline and hotel and you are over a grand. Most of the state wide tournaments are $100.00 entry fees. I would finish in the money more times then not, occasionally win. I like to play not just watch when I go to a tournament.

I showed up late once and missed the draw. There was one bye on the board and it was Buddy Hall. I was going to pass but my wife said we just drove 300 miles your playing and bought the bye.

Buddy was perfect and ran almost the whole set. I think I got to like four games in the race to 11 the few times he didn't make a ball on the break. I did get into the money though from the losers side.

Last edited:

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I go to play pool I want to play pool. Way to much sitting around and not playing pool as time ticks by. Tournaments= waste of time for me.

middleofnowhere

Registered
When I go to play pool I want to play pool. Way to much sitting around and not playing pool as time ticks by. Tournaments= waste of time for me.
Most of these statewide tournaments are like two day affairs. You pay your entry fee you don't have to pay any admissions, lots of practice table time.

Usually the first night before the tournament there's lots of mini tournaments and action you can match up and Gamble. I don't find tournaments to be a waste of time. They can be real happening events. A lot of fun for a pool player.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I'd pay $500-$1000 to play in the U.S Open. Probably $100 tops for any other tournaments.
Unless you live near there, the entry is the least of your expenses. Even running around to smaller state tournaments can really add up. Gas, motels meals and so on.

I used to have a motorhome. It was nice to be able to go out and relax, make a meal, clean up. I had an aggressive pitbull so no worry about free loaders.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I paid 130 each for three events in the barbox in Reno and it was the best value I've ever had.

Everything was cheap there including the rooms which were a short walk and an elevator ride away from the ENORMOUS room the diamond tables were in. Never had to look at your back or worry about who was playing next to you to play your game the tables were spaced out so far.

One day we went upstairs and bought a fifth of whiskey at the shop and brought it down to the room and gambled on the nine foot tables set up from the (i believe) the US open one pocket tournament held simultaneously. No one gave us a second look.

Got to play pros who schooled me and amateurs I could beat all in the same events.

Then it was moved to Vegas and the good times were over for good with this event.

Anyone who ever got to attend the barbox's in Reno has to agree it was kick ass.
I used to play in those tournaments when they were at the Sands! They got even better when they switched to the GSR. I agree that when they moved to Vegas it wasn't the same. Great times in Reno!