How much is the most you would pay to play in a Pool Tournment.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Any tournament worth playing these days uses a staggered entry fee for 'handicapping'. I usually end up ~$100 to play. There are cheaper ones, but it's simply not worth the time invested if you manage to reach the money rounds. One such tournament was posted the other day on FB. I responded within 15mins of it hitting the pool room's webpage and managed to land spot 59 out of 64. My province has just dropped lockdowns and the pool community is jumping all over any type of action they can get...lol

We also have a series of tournaments that requires a $500 entry. Problem for me there, is that it's also single knock out (long race). I don't have a problem donating for strong fields, but would rather get a bit more table time for my money.

Like others have said, I hope to play in the Open or similar at some point. ..again, for sake of donation for the experience...lol

PracticeChampion

Did a few $50 tournaments, minimal around here is $10 plus Calcutta. I hate Calcuttas cause I got a decent chance anywhere so there's another 10+ LoL

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Almost all the tournament players come for action. In between matches, I was in almost nonstop action on open tables.
Ideally yes... Unfortunately the rooms near me are either too small, or the fields are too big, so it takes a handful of rounds before anything opens up for non-tournament use.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal limit is $5.00-$7.00, after that if I have no chance of placing in money I am done.

Use to enjoy a local bar 9 ball Tournment on Tuesday night, was $5.00 entry, splitting bar box fee of $.50/game.

If you won it was never much more then $100.00, but it was simple fun.
$4,000. More if the odds are in my favor. :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
$4,000. More if the odds are in my favor. :)

You say off, I say chance of coming away in Black over investment in entry fee. I know people train for years to compete in thing, but the better you get at a sport. Ther tougher the competition.

Hate Track Meet with rival school in Foothill Devison of CIF. There had 10 or 12 that rant the 100yard dash under 9.8 seconds. We were lucky to have one runner do it in 10.0. Races were alway over before the gun went off.

JC

Coos Cues
I used to play in those tournaments when they were at the Sands! They got even better when they switched to the GSR. I agree that when they moved to Vegas it wasn't the same. Great times in Reno!
On the weekend when 8 ball got going and a bunch of amateur working men rolled in from the bay area was a sight for sore eyes. Finally someone is here I have a chance to beat!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I used to play in those tournaments when they were at the Sands! They got even better when they switched to the GSR. I agree that when they moved to Vegas it wasn't the same. Great times in Reno!

Reno is a nothing town, dirty, nasty, too much snow. Only attraction is Truckee River for fly fishing.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven’t checked lately but it wasn’t the money but the qualifications. I would call and say sign me up and then they would ask for my handicap. I haven’t played leagues in years so they wouldn’t let me play. I guess most of the tournaments were put on by apa or some other sanctioning body. Most tournaments used to be open but not so much anymore

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Local VFW, $3.00 entry, 0.25 cents per rack to play. Double elim. 1 rack played. we're older, these are afternoon
Smaller pond, the big fish ain't so big. Have a lazy Canteen Mgr. never cleans the tables and only cleans the balls
on Last Sat. of the month, when the Members have their meeting. Nearest Leagues are 60 + miles away and shoot
at night. To many 4 footed critters to contend with on ride home. chuckle.

Have paid $50.00 once, long, long ago in a place far, far away.... I played a lot better then as well. chuckle.

hank

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reno is a nothing town, dirty, nasty, too much snow. Only attraction is Truckee River for fly fishing.
I can't believe I actually agree with you about something. Kind of... Once the pool scene dried up, it became nothing. The pro events stopped, the USBTC moved away, the pool rooms closed, etc.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$100ish for what I know will be a well run tournament that I don’t have to travel too far for…

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Ren
I can't believe I actually agree with you about something. Kind of... Once the pool scene dried up, it became nothing. The pro events stopped, the USBTC moved away, the pool rooms closed, etc.

Reno is like parts of Phoenix, AZ, dirty, nasty, homeless every where.

Been to Reno several as l times, no desire to return.

Can be hell when it snows, 🤮

SlateMan

Registered
I like to be in the $20 range. I am essentially a banger, but tournaments give me a chance to play people who would only normally play me for money. Even when I outright sucked, I knew donating to the pot was helping to keep pool alive in my area. I think playing in these tourneys has helped my game or my luck. I got in a $10 tourney that had a generous handicap (4 losses) and got to buy myself in the Calcutta really cheap and took 2nd for a $675 payday. I'll donate that back to the field over the next few months. If there is a good amount of warmup time and you get to play a few matches, and watch some really good pool, I think the tourney experience is worth every penny.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most local events where I am are 10-20, monthly ones are in the 30-60 range. Really $20 for an event, is like playing two races for $10 even if you don't win a match. $20 is an entry fee I would not think much about paying even if I knew there was little chance of me cashing. $40-60 if I'm feeling like I'm shooting good and want the competition.

The player auctions also tend to raise this by at least $20 for me so there is also that expense. Plus food and travel cost. By the time I get done with even a $20 event, 1-2 hr of driving, dinner, a few drinks, it's over $40.

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
For me, in general...
  • $10-$20 - For a local, weekly tournament
  • $50-$100 - For a monthly, regional tournament
  • $150-$250 - For a National tournament
I suppose I might go up to $500 if it was a very special event. I'd only have an okay chance at cashing in the first two categories though.

Cuedup

10 entry and 10 side pot is the usual Friday and Sat tournament fees. I'll play in the bi-monthly scotch doubles @ 40 or 50 or so per person and occasionally get in the cash.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I go to play pool I want to play pool. Way to much sitting around and not playing pool as time ticks by. Tournaments= waste of time for me.
Agreed, sadly.

And more sadly...I am reminded of that every tournament I play.

After a couple hours, I'd pay them to NOT have to play anymore.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
When I go to play pool I want to play pool. Way to much sitting around and not playing pool as time ticks by. Tournaments= waste of time for me.

I agree keep the thing going, recall this local bar, had 5 open tables.

But used two to drag a Tournament out, made no sense.

But they were hoping for more alcohol sales.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
50 or so entry, depends if I think I have a chance of cashing. Calcutta I max out at 100 or less depending on where it is and players.

Spent 70 on myself in a little bar tournament in the calcutta saturday, even though I haven't been playing much, and while I didn't get in the money it was because of 3 stupid things I did. Think I finished 4th which was out of the money.

Other places I'll happily split calcutta money.