How small of a pool table is not a pool table anymore?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a few, not as many that were in this area (memphis) 20+- years ago

leasing viable space at a reasonable rate in conjunction with ancillary income streams no longer being available has made pool rooms a low margin biz necessitating long hands on hours to scratch out a meager return

What hours do they operate? Where I live if I want to play on a 9 foot table I have to wait till 4 pm 5 days a week. They are closed 2 days a week.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
What hours do they operate? Where I live if I want to play on a 9 foot table I have to wait till 4 pm 5 days a week. They are closed 2 days a week.

As of now the largest (25 +- tables) and best room in this area (HIGH POCKETS) was open from 11am until whenever (pre covid)

since covid hours have fluctuated as local guide lines have been fluid

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As of now the largest (25 +- tables) and best room in this area (HIGH POCKETS) was open from 11am until whenever (pre covid)

since covid hours have fluctuated as local guide lines have been fluid
Gotcha yeah my pool room has always been open at 4 pm. Even pre covid.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went to Roanoke Va back few years ago to Guys And Dolls Billards, There was a new law in Ronoake about smoking in public buildings. I sat in my car a few minuets to finish my camel and went on inside. Everyone in the place was smoking. Went over to see a friend named Ollie who ran the place, he must have been in his late 70's by then and asked how they had gotten by the new laws. He pointed over to a door which went into a closet with a glass window on it, Inside the closet was a small card table with a 6 inch by 12 inch pool table on it along with cues that were operated with springs,,along with a exhaust fan and added air conditioning. The law stated, that as long as there was separate areas for players with heating and air ,that was all that needed to be met to be legal. So a 6 X 12 Inch Table Is In The Right Time And Place ,Big Enough ..LOL

Last edited:

Geosnookery

I’ve rarely played on a table smaller than 4x8. Nearly always 9’ or Snooker.

Still haven’t been able to sink a single ball on this one...must need a new aiming system.

Attachments

• 6E9E0182-2FDB-426F-846C-A184AFE3D2A5.jpeg
    6E9E0182-2FDB-426F-846C-A184AFE3D2A5.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 87

pw98

Registered
Went to Roanoke Va back few years ago to Guys And Dolls Billards, There was a new law in Ronoake about smoking in public buildings. I sat in my car a few minuets to finish my camel and went on inside. Everyone in the place was smoking. Went over to see a friend named Ollie who ran the place, he must have been in his late 70's by then and asked how they had gotten by the new laws. He pointed over to a door which went into a closet with a glass window on it, Inside the closet was a small card table with a 6 inch by 12 inch pool table on it along with cues that were operated with springs,,along with a exhaust fan and added air conditioning. The law stated, that as long as there was separate areas for players with heating and air ,that was all that needed to be met to be legal. So a 6 X 12 Inch Table Is In The Right Time And Place ,Big Enough ..LOL
Around here (ohio) they just make the pool hall a private club and charge 5$ a year membership and smoking is allowed.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have a 3x6 Valley from 1960. 3.75" pockets, snooker cloth. It is a great pattern table for 8-ball.

Attachments

• 20210205_192635.jpg
    20210205_192635.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 76

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
For many years I felt like real pool was only played on tables that were 4 x 8 or above. The bar tables of that era were all scaled down simulations of a real pool table imo back then, and only toys by comparison. Then along came the Diamond 3 1/2 x 7 table and finally we had real pool on a bar box.

Of course, like so many on here I can remember playing on toy pool tables as a kid, the ones with little bitty balls and tiny cues. They were fun toys to play on when you were six or seven years old, but I outgrew those by age nine.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For many years I felt like real pool was only played on tables that were 4 x 8 or above. The bar tables of that era were all scaled down simulations of a real pool table imo back then, and only toys by comparison. Then along came the Diamond 3 1/2 x 7 table and finally we had real pool on a bar box.

Of course, like so many on here I can remember playing on toy pool tables as a kid, the ones with little bitty balls and tiny cues. They were fun toys to play on when you were six or seven years old, but I outgrew those by age nine.

Funny story I had a pool table child game thing. My dad got mad at me cause I broke a pool stick and sharped one end into a stake so I could kill vampires with it.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA matches are often played on 7' tables. That's a pool table. Anything smaller is something else.

djv122385

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA matches are often played on 7' tables. That's a pool table. Anything smaller is something else.
This statement also brings into question "is APA pool"? Personally a game of 8 ball with bastardized slop and foul rules is not real pool...and 9 ball where you can lose every rack and win a match because of ball count is not pool either.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk