How to combat slow players?

shooter_Hans

Anyone got an issue with this?

I tried playing safety to snap him out of his own torturous self and for my sanity. The safety shots seem to work the best since the best thing to do is kick at it. No need to take your time to just kick. It seem to work but as soon as its his turn with a shot. Its back to torture. I timed 2 minutes to 3 minutes per shot.

I'm thinking about carrying a book with me. If I have to play this person again then I may break out the book while waiting.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Don’t play one

I recently ran into the first one I’ve ever played
And playing 14.1 it was brutal I told him before the game was over I had enough

Hangers and 1ft straight in shots hed get down
Get up, walk around the table look come back to the shot
Look again at another part of the table
Get down
Shoot

And repeat

Every
Single
Time

And he wasn’t even any good

shooter_Hans

Don’t play one

I recently ran into the first one I’ve ever played
And playing 14.1 it was brutal I told him before the game was over I had enough

Hangers and 1ft straight in shots hed get down
Get up, walk around the table look come back to the shot
Look again at another part of the table
Get down
Shoot

And repeat

Every
Single
Time
Sorry to hear.

At least you got to look at him move around.

I got the one that would get into their shooting stance and just stare.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a guy in the 1970`s, I think he was from Chicago. Name was Marshall Bolter. He was absolutely one of the top straight pool players in the city at the time, 100 ball runner all day long. He was so slow he was banned from tournaments after a while, sometimes taking a half hour to run a rack. He faded away, just couldn`t adjust to a faster pace.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
There's two ways to be this type of nit.
U-nit
If you trust em, whenever you miss, turn your back to the table.
Walk away w/o any body language, and ''talk to your friends'' (key).

If you don't trust this person when your turn around, then have your friend tap you as needed.
Or....
Tell the TD and have him or his referee watch while ''you turn your back''.

I did it twice, over a 20 yr period with two different individuals, worked both times.

These types of people ''FEED'' off of your discomfort and win by upsetting your mind.

bm

shooter_Hans

There was a guy in the 1970`s, I think he was from Chicago. Name was Marshall Bolter. He was absolutely one of the top straight pool players in the city at the time, 100 ball runner all day long. He was so slow he was banned from tournaments after a while, sometimes taking a half hour to run a rack. He faded away, just couldn`t adjust to a faster pace.
That's actually a sad story. My opponent is a good player but when you're taking that long you should be making every shot. He almost did.

I don't want to think that if we were force to speed up the game then his game would suffer.

With that said, my goodness that was torturous.

George the Greek

When I was young I felt the torture playing slow players as I played at a good pace and it got under my skin. I'm hoping now at an old age when I start playing again that I can control myself and deal with the f...wads that play slow by trying to either run out or torture them right back.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learn to play One Pocket and you won't care. When you trap someone in One Pocket and they stand there thinking their Fk'd its just what you want and it helps when your playing other games because you'll get to the place where you just dont care.

I dont care what you do because one of two things will happen, I'm going to put you in a trap or I'm going to run out, either way you'll speed because you'll wish you were playing someone else.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When someone is sharking you, simply ell them that the 30 second shot clock does not start until they have be quiet for 30 seconds. in a row. I once had a guy why delayed my shot by over 6 minutes under this rule.. He was completely livid and his game when into the crapper.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
simple, if cash game quit him. if you dont its on you for acquiescing.

if in a league or tournament where you cant quit him, just sit down and dont play until the directer comes and makes a decision.

and if he sides with the guy just say you will time his shots and will take the same amount of time before i shoot next and this tournament can end at 4 in the morning then.

or just quit and leave and forget about the idiots. and play pool with those you like to play with.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Well….just start telling him after every shot “your turn pokey”. When he says “that’s not my name” you tell him “maybe not but it should be”. So which hall did you find Newcuer in?😂😂😂j/k Nc

Honestly. I’ve always found it best to just address the issue with your opponent. Let him know if he is going to take 2 minutes between shots you will do the same. Whether that be playing on your phone, calling your gf, or going to have a smoke.

Last edited:

Flakeandrun

Death threats.
I suggest Death threats.

But in all seriousness, they're either sharking, or dreadfully unconfident in themselves. So you either need to counter the shark with something equally petty but unquestionable, or rise above and put the screws on them.

I really suffer at the hands of slow play. Especially when they can't run a table, but leave you hooked or in a problem spot when their time at the table ends. Drives me insane. Makes me want to just hit balls into space without cueing down (trying to emphasize frustration at their inadequacy). I learned quickly this was not the right tactic. They really do feed off your negativity.

You don't necessarily have to slow down to their pace. I found exaggerating my pre-shot routine to the point of being obnoxious with it has a nice counter-effect during these times. Combatting this is an area of my play I'm working on.

I'm thankful for shot clocks being implemented in at least 75% of the tournaments that go on here. My two favorite halls have automated scorecard/Timers. You just bosh the button before every shot.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you dont need shot clocks but a tournament director with balls enough to tell someone playing too slow to speed up to normal speed/ speed that keeps the game moving

or dont play here.