How to combat slow players?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Combating slow play depends on why a person is playing slowly. If they are operating at their normal speed it is hard to speed them up and major sharking if you do. On the other hand, if they are slowing play to jack with you the first move is to lean back, get comfortable. Eyeball what they are doing closely enough to see a foul, no closer.

Relaxing in your chair is usually enough to end silliness, but you can always kick it up another notch. If somebody is more interested in something else than pool it can be fun to let them come back to the table and shoot. "Foul! I haven't shot yet."

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
B4 you tee it up negotiate a 15 to 30 sec shot clock then commence with "roadrunner" pool

clock heat can melt brain cells of slow pokes

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow players... One I nicknamed Cobweb years ago. He plays 9 ball like it's one pocket. I have a lot of patience for anyone that has trouble walking around the table, especially in One Pocket. I won't play slow players. If they stare at a hanging ball too long, I'll usually announce "Extension Called." "Folks, he's going to examine the exact angle needed to pocket the ball and hold the cueball in the same area."

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow players... One I nicknamed Cobweb years ago. He plays 9 ball like it's one pocket. I have a lot of patience for anyone that has trouble walking around the table, especially in One Pocket. I won't play slow players. If they stare at a hanging ball too long, I'll usually announce "Extension Called." "Folks, he's going to examine the exact angle needed to pocket the ball and hold the cueball in the same area."
Oh, yeah, I remember him well! Slowest player I ever saw!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a Mike Stichauf I believe George Fels mentioned him in his book. Could stretch a rack to 15 minutes. Glad I don't know people like that.

Zerksies

Anyone got an issue with this?

I tried playing safety to snap him out of his own torturous self and for my sanity. The safety shots seem to work the best since the best thing to do is kick at it. No need to take your time to just kick. It seem to work but as soon as its his turn with a shot. Its back to torture. I timed 2 minutes to 3 minutes per shot.

I'm thinking about carrying a book with me. If I have to play this person again then I may break out the book while waiting.
You must be a fast player. If you're moving too fast I'm going to slow down on purpose to mess with your tempo.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A slow player is a time-stealer. They steal precious time from tournaments, leagues and their opponent. They will continue to play slow as long as no one stops them. Never play a slow player without a shot clock. That's the only way to combat them. Encourage your LOs and TDs to use shot clocks on these people. If you're playing a private match, get a third party involved to employ a shot clock.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I think beating them with a stick would be the best way to deal with it. Preferably on the table, but you never know. ;)

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
just tell them they are not welcome to play here. it should not even be a problem.

just say " sorry sir you play too slow and hold up the tournament but you are welcome to rent a table and play with yourself or friends."

every business has the right to decline a customer for reasonable things.

and as the owner of the business he should tell the t.d. to speed the tournament up or he will find another t.d. or cancel it.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I am playing One Pocket slow play doesn't bother me that much, unless it's over the top slow.

Nine Ball slowed down, butchers the game and takes you out of rhythm.

One way to combat slow play, if it is a move, is start taking twice as much time to shoot as your opponent does.

Look at the layout of the balls for an extended period and then lay your cue on the table and say you need to hit the head.

Take your time coming back to the table.

This stuff drives opponents crazy.

Word of caution: don't do this stuff to the room's Billy Badass.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
slow play bothers me.

it wastes my time and others time
it ruins the experience
it ultimately costs me money
and is irritating

so i stop it, get even to stop it, or walk.

and if i was in a tournament or league i would tell the t.d. he is doing a bad job and has no guts if he wont fix it.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Anyone got an issue with this?

I tried playing safety to snap him out of his own torturous self and for my sanity. The safety shots seem to work the best since the best thing to do is kick at it. No need to take your time to just kick. It seem to work but as soon as its his turn with a shot. Its back to torture. I timed 2 minutes to 3 minutes per shot.

I'm thinking about carrying a book with me. If I have to play this person again then I may break out the book while waiting.
I occasionally play with a newbie player of an instructor who frequents my hall. He's got this poor kid taking excessively long periods of time w his psr. Lining up, getting down, stroking thru correctly, etc... It takes him 3 to 5 mins per shot!! It's excruciating. I've tried to tell the kid to trust his instincts more and pick up his pace, but he obviously misunderstood the instructor, or took his advice to the point where every shot needs this much scrutiny. I feel bad for the kid. He's going nowhere. So much for seminars.