How to make a home pool table feel/hit solid

WinnerBreaks

Registered
Hello,

This is directed to members who have or have had a home pool table.

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where my wife and I will be building our forever home now that our daughters are off to college; and with that I'm cough cough..."allowed" to have a pool room.

With that I have some mild hesitation before jumping right in because I have a fear or rather some angst in regards to wanting to avoid what I would describe as soft hitting or muffled tables. I assume that what I'm describing is due to the home tables that I've shot on sitting on carpet, some sort of floating tile and in some cases hardwood floors.

Over the years I've shot on my fair share of home tables and none ever feel or hit as "solid" as a public pool/billiard room table that sit directly on concrete and/or thin high-traffic carpet that is over concrete.

I apologize if what I'm describing isn't clear. But for those of you who are still with me...I'm trying to avoid that "mushy" feel that I experience whenever I shoot at a home table.

Is this just something I will have to deal with? Is there an alternative to having the builder lay a concrete slab for the pool room? Have any of you had success in avoiding what I'm describing?

Kind regards,
Andrew

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most important thing is to buy a commercial table, not a home model table. You can have a used Brunswick Gold Crown in your house all day long for about 3k.

I have one in my apartment. It was on thick residential carpet and played great and not mushy. Then my apartment floor was changed to “fake wood” vinyl and it played the same.

Stay away from home tables if you want a professional playing table.

IMO:)

ipoppa33

Shakedown Custom Rods
Silver Member
Not the flooring (maybe)

I'm not an expert but what I think you are explaining isn't a problem with the flooring it's more to do with the type of tables you played on. They aren't commercial tables and tend to be lighter and less solid than the ones at your pool hall. Find yourself a good used Gold Crown or Diamond table and you will be set for life. Good luck.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed: flooring is not going the way a particular table plays.

You are in a fine position, lots of time to shop. Get a good table.

It is like a piano...a one time purchase, if you do it right.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where my wife and I will be building our forever home now that our daughters are off to college; and with that I'm cough cough..."allowed" to have a pool room.

With that I have some mild hesitation before jumping right in because I have a fear or rather some angst in regards to wanting to avoid what I would describe as soft hitting or muffled tables. I assume that what I'm describing is due to the home tables that I've shot on sitting on carpet, some sort of floating tile and in some cases hardwood floors.

Over the years I've shot on my fair share of home tables and none ever feel or hit as "solid" as a public pool/billiard room table that sit directly on concrete and/or thin high-traffic carpet that is over concrete.

I apologize if what I'm describing isn't clear. But for those of you who are still with me...I'm trying to avoid that "mushy" feel that I experience whenever I shoot at a home table.

Is this just something I will have to deal with? Is there an alternative to having the builder lay a concrete slab for the pool room? Have any of you had success in avoiding what I'm describing?

Kind regards,
Andrew

Get a nice shape GC 4, will feel solid and you can't beat the plop of the pockets when you hit a solid shot on those. Home tables are probably a few 100 lb short of a GC and the construction on most is quite a bit weaker.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

Kind regards,
Andrew
I agree with other responses stating that the flooring surface or underflooring is not the issue. No kind of flooring is going to make a home table play like a top commercial table, and no kind of flooring is going to cause a top commercial table to play like a cheaper. lighter home table. Your table is the purchase you don't want to skimp on - particularly if you've already been spoiled by playing on top commercial poolroom tables - Gold Crown's or Diamond's.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

Kind regards,
Andrew

Didn't have time to read thread, I'm sure everyone gave good/solid advice.

I will not tell you what you should do but I will tell you what I did:

Visited every single room/bar that I could until I made my mind up on which brand, size, type table I "needed".

I ended up buying the same tables that I would be playing on in most all tournaments. Why? Well, I didn't like the idea of having to adjust to a different type table before every tournament or private match.

Bottom line:

We pool players want/need "EVERY" advantage that we can find in order to win at a competitive level.... and those advantages are but, not limited to:

Table brand
Table size
Cloth/felt type and color
Brand of object balls
Particular QB
Room conditions such as hot, cold, humidity level, noise level....on and on....

The above was the deciding factors that led me to Diamond billiards to buy a 9' pro-am with tournament-blue cloth with high quality lighting....

Rake

Joqpub4

AZB GOLD
Silver Member
your choice

I agree that the difference is the table not the floor...

Having said that, in my "forever" home that the wife and i are renovating (mostly done) the pool room is the basement, and it sits on concrete.

I was gonna go with a shimmed GCIII from the room i used to play in... got an opportunity to get a GCV Tournament edition in pristine shape... plays jam up.

Yes when i play on local tables (bar, GCIII or Diamonds (9' pro or 8')) i have to make an adjustment...

but honestly, you have to adjust most places depending on age of cloth, humidity, temperature, etc...

If you want a solid hitting table, buy the solid hitting table... that is where the difference lies.

I'm not gonna say that your decision should be the one i made, but i am VERY happy with my choice. 4.5" pockets are good for the wife to hit some balls on and not get totally frustrated, but can play 1P if i want too :)

-Joe

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too agree with the boys here. When I retired I put in a furniture grade table. Two years later I was shopping for a Gold Crown. I got one in mint condition for the same price as what I already had.

Save yourself the trouble and money. Buy a GC or Diamond once and be done for ever. Well maybe. Since I have the room I'm also looking for a Valley barbox to cover all bases.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Step 1 - List table on Craig's List
Step 2 - Sell table on Craig's list

If you have gotten this far you know the way home...

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with everyone here. The furniture grade tables just don’t have the weight or structure to play like a commercial table, not to mention the value difference in the two grades. The commercial table in good shape will likely hold it’s value over the long haul, whereas the furniture grades will not.

I would like to add that there are more good commercials out there than just GCs and Diamonds. The Centinnials, Anniversaries, Sport Kings and Sportmans are all good old classics that hold there value fairly well. The old pre WWII T-rail tables make a fine table as well.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Just gonna put this right here :)

DIAMOND-Paragon-2.jpg

No need to do anything:) We can all dream, right??

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello,

Kind regards,
Andrew

Here is my table. As the others have said, the floor doesn't matter (as long as it will hold the weight). I had my house builder double up on the floor joists for this room. Anniversary and LED panels. But, who will set it up for you. Call RKC and get someone he knows. A technician can screw it all up.

Attachments

• Anniversary.jpg
    Anniversary.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 339

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my table. As the others have said, the floor doesn't matter (as long as it will hold the weight). I had my house builder double up on the floor joists for this room. Anniversary and LED panels. But, who will set it up for you. Call RKC and get someone he knows. A technician can screw it all up.

That is a great setup. Love the matching light stripes too!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Prairie Dog...Just curious... that's a nice Anniversary. Since there's no Buffalo MT, where is this beautiful table located?

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a Buffalo Mt. About 6 people live there. 100 miles north of Billings. But, the table is in Salem, Oregon.

I remember when I was out on the road seeing county or town signs listing population of six or so on. I always thought it was neat. My wife and I always dreamed of being hermits out in the middle of nowhere like that.

Very nice setup and location. I'm jealous.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember when I was out on the road seeing county or town signs listing population of six or so on. I always thought it was neat. My wife and I always dreamed of being hermits out in the middle of nowhere like that.

Very nice setup and location. I'm jealous.

Don't really live in Buffalo, Mt. I live in Salem, Oregon in a neighborhood. 3 miles from Costco. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited: