How to Make Your Open Bridge Perfect

Oikawa

There are still some situations where you are shooting along a rail with the CB close to the rail, where you need draw, and there are obstacle balls around, where a closed bridge hanging off the cushion can be helpful.
I agree with the "nearby balls" part about your previous post, those are exceptions where I also use a closed bridge if the benefits outweight the weaker aim of a closed bridge for me, close to the rail or not. Good point.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch W. Zelinski play. He has a unique open-bridge. Goes over the thumb a lil more than some. Shoots virtually every shot with it. Love his fast pace.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Watch W. Zelinski play. He has a unique open-bridge. Goes over the thumb a lil more than some. Shoots virtually every shot with it. Love his fast pace.

It doesn't take much of a "V" for the open bridge to be effective. I still prefer a deep "V" with a curled-up thumb. It helps prevent the shaft from leaving the bridge, especially during power sidespin shots.

SeniorTom

It doesn't take much of a "V" for the open bridge to be effective.
Sometimes it appears that I don't have a lot of v foundation in my bridge, based on the type of shot I am shooting, but it works for me.
I still prefer a deep "V" with a curled-up thumb. It helps prevent the shaft from leaving the bridge, especially during power sidespin shots.
Yes, for power/spin shots I try to shore up the bridge like you use to keep stability, but I still don't like a closed bridge even for them.

Justaneng

Registered
In older instructional manuals and videos, the closed bridge is taught as being the fundamentally “correct” bridge with no mention at all of an open bridge. Is there a reason for this?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
In older instructional manuals and videos, the closed bridge is taught as being the fundamentally “correct” bridge with no mention at all of an open bridge. Is there a reason for this?

The key word is "older." The closed bridge is mostly an "old school" American thing, IMO. Modern instruction and the snooker world has taught us the value of an open bridge.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The key word is "older." The closed bridge is mostly an "old school" American thing, IMO. Modern instruction and the snooker world has taught us the value of an open bridge.
The closed bridge is still used by nearly every 3-cushion player, but of course they are doing a lot of power spin shots. Carom players of the "small games" like straight rail often use open bridges.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The closed bridge is still used by nearly every 3-cushion player, but of course they are doing a lot of power spin shots. Carom players of the "small games" like straight rail often use open bridges.

Do you think history, tradition, and learning from others partly explains this, or is power spin shots (with a heavier CB) the only real reason? And are they really doing power spin shots that often in these games?

Also, many of them do not have low stances, so one of the main open bridge advantages does not apply (an unobscured view of the cue).

Last edited:

Justaneng

Registered

Other Euro inventions (leather tips, side spin) were absorbed fairly easily in early American pool. So much so that Americans actually call spin “English.”

So it really doesn’t seem like early American pool had much of a “pride” issue, compared to say, the demand in the 1800’s to “do something” to the English language to make a distinct American variant. (Sometimes I wish I lived in the times where I could have stripped the “u” from the word “colour” and turned it into a get rich quick scheme).

I think for most men this isn’t much of an issue, or more specifically most humans above a certain hand size. But I see a lot of (predominantly female) APA SL-2’s that can’t close a bridge around an 13mm shaft and who would have benefited from being taught an open bridge to begin with.

So I think an open bridge may be a 5% advantage for someone who can close a bridge comfortably, but a 50% advantage for someone who can’t?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think history, tradition, and learning from others partly explains this, or is power spin shots (with a heavier CB), the only real reason? And are they really doing power spin shots that often in these games?

Also, many of them do not have low stances, so one of the main open bridge advantages does not apply (an unobscured view of the cue).
Carom players have precision bridges for the "small" games that most Americans have never seen. And the players achieve ball control precision that most Americans find incomprehensible. Some instruction goes as far as to differentiate between spreading the fingers on the closed bridge hand and not spreading the fingers depending on the kind of shot.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates how to use a pen or pencil to find the optimal orientation for your open-bridge hand so the cue is naturally guided in the direction of the shot. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
1:15 - Pencil Trick
2:13 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!
I’ve noticed that snooker players use an open bridge exclusively.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the medical condition called Hitchhiker’s Thumb (hypermobility of the distal interphalangeal joint of the thumb) is relevant to open bridge configuration. It’s an inherited condition and has an incidence rate of 32%, so around 1/3rd of pool players have it.

It’s defined by the ability to bend your distal thumb joint back by more than 50°. My thumb goes back around 70°, so I definitely have a moderate case of it. Some people can bend it back 90°.

Just playing around with it, if my thumb were straighter I would need to turn my hand inwards significantly further to get a straight V, and I wouldn’t have as tall of a “guardrail” on that side of the cue.

I also think it has relevance when making a closed bridge: with a straighter thumb you may be more likely to anchor the tip of your index finger on top of your middle finger, but with Hitchhiker’s thumb you may prefer anchoring the tip of your index finger on your bent-back thumb and against the side of your middle finger.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Another example of “You don’t know what you don’t know” for me. Thank you for a wonderfully simple and useful tip. I exclusively use an open bridge and this never occurred to me. Thank you yet again.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another example of “You don’t know what you don’t know” for me. Thank you for a wonderfully simple and useful tip. I exclusively use an open bridge and this never occurred to me. Thank you yet again.

You’re welcome. I love using the pencil trick with students when there bridge is “less than ideal.”