How to Make Your Open Bridge Perfect

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates how to use a pen or pencil to find the optimal orientation for your open-bridge hand so the cue is naturally guided in the direction of the shot. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
1:15 - Pencil Trick
2:13 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

RandyinHawaii

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just tried it out and although somewhat close, my orientation was off a little. This is definitely going to help me get the V aligned like it should be.

Thanks and greatly appreciated.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The most common mistake I've seen with beginners is the one you point out -- hand not turned enough to avoid the soft flesh between the base of the thumb and rest of the hand. The other common error is that the thumb is not turned up at the end and that side of the V is next to non-existent.

How about the rail bridge next?

bpeacock

Shooting in humid climate, I developed an open bridge where the stick rides mostly on my thumbnail. Never needed chalk on my hands.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The most common mistake I've seen with beginners is the one you point out -- hand not turned enough to avoid the soft flesh between the base of the thumb and rest of the hand.
An effective V is made by holding the thumb against the forefinger - the worst ones I see don’t do that, but hold the thumb apart so the shaft rides on that soft flesh (forming more of a U than a V).

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
An effective V is made by holding the thumb against the forefinger - the worst ones I see don’t do that, but hold the thumb apart so the shaft rides on that soft flesh (forming more of a U than a V). ...
Yes, that's also a common problem.

Another problem is that some people are unable to make a V (just a tent with the thumb sticking up, as Dr. Dave shows) without their hand cramping. I guess all the muscles tighten up in both directions. Anyone have suggestions for getting beginners' hands to not cramp?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member

Another problem is that some people are unable to make a V (just a tent with the thumb sticking up, as Dr. Dave shows) without their hand cramping. I guess all the muscles tighten up in both directions. Anyone have suggestions for getting beginners' hands to not cramp?

Tell them to practice using a screw driver until their muscles get tired.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Doesn’t somebody sell a wearable (or holdable) V for bridging? Seems like I remember seeing something like that.

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just tried it out and although somewhat close, my orientation was off a little. This is definitely going to help me get the V aligned like it should be.

Thanks and greatly appreciated.

I’m glad to hear it helped. You’re welcome.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been doing the same trick for years but with a hot dog instead of a pencil.
Works pretty much the same but you are WAY more likely to get mustard on the cloth 🙁

That’s funny. Seriously though, a drinking straw, carrot, uncooked spaghetti, or French-fry also work fine. The shaft of a cue can also work, but it’s not as fun (and it is tougher to balance).

Last edited:

SeniorTom

As always, "the Dr.' has great info for those who want to improve their skills. I may be quite unique in that I use exclusively an open Bridge. I can't seem to get comfortable with a closed Bridge. I get compliments all the time from those of higher skill set than me about how well I shoot the ball for how long I have been playing. I have been only playing for about a year, and I can hang with a lot of people that are rated higher than I am. My question is, is a closed bridge mandatory to one's game?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
As always, "the Dr.' has great info for those who want to improve their skills. I may be quite unique in that I use exclusively an open Bridge. I can't seem to get comfortable with a closed Bridge. I get compliments all the time from those of higher skill set than me about how well I shoot the ball for how long I have been playing. I have been only playing for about a year, and I can hang with a lot of people that are rated higher than I am. My question is, is a closed bridge mandatory to one's game?

There are certain shots along a rail (or power shots with extreme sidespin with nearby balls) where a closed bridge can be helpful; but in general, an open bridge is better. See:

Oikawa

There are certain shots along a rail (or power shots with extreme sidespin with nearby balls) where a closed bridge can be helpful; but in general, an open bridge is better.
For on-the-rail shots, instead of using a closed rail bridge, I always use a "open" rail bridge from further away, even if it means the length between CB and bridge hand is slightly longer than what is most comfortable.

I do this because for me, while down on the shot, the closed bridge causes me to not see a large part of the cue stick in my peripheral vision by so much that my micro-adjustments of backhand position are basically impossible to do, and I can't trust any long pot to go in with a high %.

To counteract the bridge hand being further away on those shots, I try to focus even more on a solid stance and on staying as still as possible, and use a shorter, more compact backstroke.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
For on-the-rail shots, instead of using a closed rail bridge, I always use a "open" rail bridge from further away, even if it means the length between CB and bridge hand is slightly longer than what is most comfortable.

I do this because for me, while down on the shot, the closed bridge causes me to not see a large part of the cue stick in my peripheral vision by so much that my micro-adjustments of backhand position are basically impossible to do, and I can't trust any long pot to go in with a high %.

To counteract the bridge hand being further away on those shots, I try to focus even more on a solid stance and on staying as still as possible, and use a shorter, more compact backstroke.

There are still some situations where you are shooting along a rail with the CB close to the rail, where you need draw, and there are obstacle balls around, where a closed bridge hanging off the cushion can be helpful.