How to overcome fear of a certain type of shot

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If there is a certain type of shot that makes you weak in the knees, how do you overcome that?

I know the obvious answer is to practice them until they become your favorite. I think this is the first line of defense. I don't see how you could improve without some amount of practice. I guess my question is whether there is another approach that can combine with practice to help the journey?

For example, you could find videos of pros shooting that type of shot and watch it again and again for 5-10 minutes before each practice session. You could visualize making it yourself. You could practice progressive drills where the shot gets really comfortable, and then gradually make it tougher (instead of going right to the panic zone). These all involve practice, but they are strategies on how to make the most of your practice.

So beyond endless hours, what is your favorite technique to build confidence on a problem shot?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Itsy bitsy spider
Easier to harder as i gain proficiency

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shoot it 20 to 50 times per practice session for a week minimum. Until I have at least 90% confidence I'm going to make it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can see correctly, aim correctly, and stroke straight, there should be no real “problem” shots.

If you are talking about trying to consistently make “circus” shots, that is another matter.

I think a lot of people have problems with certain shots because they lose their “table alignment”. They “think” they are aligned to the table properly, but are not. This happens a lot when people have the cue ball and object ball very close to the rail and they are trying to make a real thin cut shot go all the way down the long rail. They usually undercut the ball. Their eyes are so closely focused on the thin hit that they lose the angle of the rail.

You can’t control the shots that your opponent leaves you, but if you can control the cue ball, you should avoid leaving yourself shots that are low percentage for you. It is better to play position for a 100% safe than it is to play position for a shot you only make 50% of the time.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Instead of problem shot, I think of difficult shot I would like to master. Through repeat it shun I learn.

TannerPruess

PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Progressive practice. Setup the easier distance of the shot then move back.

Also putting the ghost ball on the object ball then getting back down over the cue ball to calibrate my eyes to the correct overlap. Move the cue ball away then fire away!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course there’s a ton of knowledge about how to overcome fear, and I think it boils down to two things:
1. Exposure. You habituate to the fear-inducing stimulus by repeated exposure to it, and you extinguish the avoidance response, and
2. Benzodiazepines.
I'm in
The most common side effects of benzodiazepines include:
  • drowsiness.
  • light-headedness.
  • confusion.
  • unsteadiness (especially in older people, who may fall and experience injuries)
  • dizziness.
  • slurred speech.
  • muscle weakness.
  • memory problems.

It skid

I'm in
  • drowsiness.
  • light-headedness.
  • confusion.
  • unsteadiness (especially in older people, who may fall and experience injuries)
  • dizziness.
  • slurred speech.
  • muscle weakness.
  • memory problems.
Nooo.........

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If there is a certain type of shot that makes you weak in the knees, how do you overcome that?

I know the obvious answer is to practice them until they become your favorite. I think this is the first line of defense. I don't see how you could improve without some amount of practice. I guess my question is whether there is another approach that can combine with practice to help the journey?

For example, you could find videos of pros shooting that type of shot and watch it again and again for 5-10 minutes before each practice session. You could visualize making it yourself. You could practice progressive drills where the shot gets really comfortable, and then gradually make it tougher (instead of going right to the panic zone). These all involve practice, but they are strategies on how to make the most of your practice.

So beyond endless hours, what is your favorite technique to build confidence on a problem shot?
I think visualization can work for people who are enthusiastic about it. However, I am skeptical that the road to less scary scary shots doesn't involve significant practice. Most of us have a limited amount of practice time, so this means that people should give some thought to how they will spend their time practicing. For example, some people choose to practice against the ghost. To me, if there is a down side to practicing against the ghost, it is that there are some shots that will show up where you have a high degree of proficiency and maybe don't need a ton of practice, but here you are spending your limited practice time on things that you can already do well.

Just my 0.02. I try to spend a very high percentage of my practice time on shots that I find difficult. So I think part of the answer isn't in doing more practice, but in changing how some people spend their practice time. Additionally, most of us (I think) would benefit from planning practice sessions in advance and having some goals for those sessions. (I am not saying you don't, in fact I get the sense that you do). Finally, most pool shots are really shorter or longer versions of the same shot. So, to the extent that I practice shots, I almost always choose to practice shots at a longer distance, as I am pretty confident that if I develop proficiency at a longer distances, shorter distances will be manageable.

Some shots will always be hard no matter how good you get. Like when, you are facing a cue ball frozen to the rail and have to pocket a long tough shot. As a result, practicing shots where the cue ball is frozen to the rail simply stays in my practice routine.

kollegedave

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in
  • drowsiness.
  • light-headedness.
  • confusion.
  • dizziness.
  • slurred speech.
  • muscle weakness.
  • memory problems.
Pfft, they said opioids were dangerous too.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I'm in
  • drowsiness.
  • light-headedness.
  • confusion.
  • dizziness.
  • slurred speech.
  • muscle weakness.
  • memory problems.

Where's the diarrhea? There's always diarrhea.

Jeff Livingston

VVP

Registered
Here is the amateur advice 😄

Practice the shot as much as you can until you are confident you can make it. Realize that in an actual match situation you are under real pressure and is likely to underperform somewhat relative to regular practice. Therefore, go through an extended pre-shot routine... breath, visualize, assure yourself that you can make the shot, remind yourself to keep your head still, then go through your shot routine and make it.

I believe there were two shots in the International Open final where Albin went through an extended pre shot routine. JJ did not even considered Albin could have made the shots he did.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Here is the amaealize that in an actual match situation you are under real pressure and is likely to underperform somewhat relative to regular practice.
Your advice could be valid for those expecting to underperform. I prefer to expect to put on a memorable performance. I look at tough situation or shot as an opportunity to excel rather than fear failure.

VVP

Registered
Your advice could be valid for those expecting to underperform. I prefer to expect to put on a memorable performance. I look at tough situation or shot as an opportunity to excel rather than fear failure.
That's great, I don't think most people have that kind of guts. Offensive players tend to have your attitude. Once the results are in your favor that's great, but if not, then it might be time to rethink your strategy.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
What I’ve seen a lot of times is it’s the last ball that people miss more than any one shot. If it’s one shot I’ll usually incorporate the shot into an 8ball or 9 ball run. So if you are practicing 8 and see the shot take it when possible and in 9-10 set it up with position play when you see it. That way it’s in a more real situation to keep your run going. Will help your position play also….

this is usually how I work on rails. Set up long rails whenever possible instead of the short ones on practice runs. Then if I am missing more than normal I might take 5-10 extras. I never spend more than about 5 minutes on the same shot either though. My whole mindset is if you are missing one particular shot all the time you probably need to practice other shots too. Even if they are going in. Everybody has their own unique ways that work best for them.

Last edited:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
While there are many great ideas and theories to gain confidence in a shot there is much more work involved if you want to be a player.
Practicing most trouble shots is historically done with a rolling cue ball which makes perfect sense. Finding your alignment, and comfortable place, keeping the cue ball and stroke simple.
The distance to the shot works well with incriments of 3 and 4.
So now you have overcome your fear of a dreaded shot, which to me is just another shot, but it's the cue ball im concerned about.

Now you have to put on your big boy pants.
Pocketing the ball is a gimme, numero uno, number one, goes without saying.
The cue ball is what matters, that is where all the work is after you feel comfortable with pocketing the ball, any shot,,,, trouble shots or not.
You must learn to pocket all shots and striking the cue ball anywhere, with extreme left, right, high or low, with any type of stroke and speed, sending the cue ball where it belongs for your next shot. If you don't you will be shooting one trouble shot after another for the rest of your life, even longer.
It begins with overcoming a trouble shot then moves on to becoming a pool player.
The shot is a gimme, the cue ball is life.