How to run a tournament - Chinese Style

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Over here they do it this way for a lot of local tournaments.

At the beginning of the event, the first couple days they run mini qualifiers where you play in groups of four and it's single elimination, race to your handicap. One person from each group qualifies. They run 32 such groups and you can play in as many as you can get into. It costs around $5 plus table time for the loser to enter the minis.

The cool thing is that they run these minis all day so that people who have to work can come when it's good for them.

Then on the final day the last 32 play a double elimination event.

------- reminds me of the good old days in Germany where they did the same thing but in larger groups. In Germany they often had tournaments which had groups starting at around 7pm on Friday with new ones starting every two hours until Saturday night. Then the best four from each group would make up the participants for the final day on Sunday. So the good thing here is that you could sign up for whichever group you wanted to play in that best fit your schedule. Some tournaments allowed people to sign up again in another group if they didn't qualify.

I loved it because I knew exactly when I had to go, knew that I would play right away, and knew that if I qualified then I wouldn't need to come back until Sunday.

Why can't more tournaments in the USA be like this? In the USA they tell everyone to show up at the same time, then you wait around forever to play, then they change the format to bring back 16 players on Sunday instead of 8 so you have to get a hotel room for another day...........

I much prefer the groups - firm start time - qualify for a final day firm start time.

I also like loser pays table time. It puts a little something extra on the match at hand and compensates the room for the wear and tear on the tables. I guess the Chinese room owners like it too because every race here is a race to 30. :-) Just kidding but they don't have short races.

What sucks here is if I am a 13 and my opponent is a 6 and I lose hill/hill. That's a tough beat to pay table time on 18 games. But overall I really like the way the tournaments are run here and really miss the ones in Germany.
 
I played in a couple of events that were run like that in Shanghai.

It's also a good way to raise entry money. Some guys would enter 4 or 5 times trying to qualify. So if you're keen you can get plenty of opportunities. Good for the juniors who may need a few attempts to calm their nerves. It brings talent along quickly.

Colin
 
Europe's biggest Open event, Weert Open, is run like this.

2 groups of 32 players each day, morning and afternoon, running from wednesday till saturday, playing single elimination, with 8 players proceeding to single elimination last 64 on Sunday. All matches race to 7.

Great way to raise price money + players can get as much as 4 chances to enter the maintournament.
 
It sounds like a really good format! I am a very slow starter equiped with the gitters so this sounds real good to me. I cannot visuallize the how this works in its entirety though. Is there a chart or something to help me see this? If I wanted to hold a tournament of this type what else would I need to know.
 
Nothing much to know.

You can do it like this:

9-ball tournament, Final 16 players on Sunday, starting 1pm, single elimination, race to 9, winner break.

How to qualify?

Qualifier I Friday evening at 7 pm, race to 7, winner break, single elimination. Max 16 players, entry 15 $. 4 players advance to Sunday!

Qualifier II Friday evening at 10 pm, race to 7, winner break, single elimination. Max 16 players, entry 15 $. 4 players advance to Sunday!

Qualifier III Saturday at 1 pm, race to 7, winner break, single elimination. Max 16 players, entry 15 $. 4 players advance to Sunday!

Qualifier IV Saturday at 5 pm, race to 7, winner break, single elimination. Max 16 players, entry 15 $. 4 players advance to Sunday!

If an average of 12 players decides to try their luck in the qualifiers, you will have 720 $ in entryfee. If full field on all 4 qualifiers, 960 $.

We did a similar tournament once, with three qualifiers on three different weekends, in three poolhalls in Oslo. We got between 18 and 30 players in the qualifiers, with a race to 5 double elimination. 12 spots for the 3 qualifiers, then we had 2 spots for a one-rack tournament. (9-ball, single elimination, race to 1).

The last 2 spots were sold to the highest bid seconds before the draw. With 10 players wanting to get a spot, the bid gets high, and you can add more money to the winners.
 
JB Cases said:
Over here they do it this way for a lot of local tournaments.

At the beginning of the event, the first couple days they run mini qualifiers where you play in groups of four and it's single elimination, race to your handicap. One person from each group qualifies. They run 32 such groups and you can play in as many as you can get into. It costs around $5 plus table time for the loser to enter the minis.

The cool thing is that they run these minis all day so that people who have to work can come when it's good for them.

Then on the final day the last 32 play a double elimination event.

------- reminds me of the good old days in Germany where they did the same thing but in larger groups. In Germany they often had tournaments which had groups starting at around 7pm on Friday with new ones starting every two hours until Saturday night. Then the best four from each group would make up the participants for the final day on Sunday. So the good thing here is that you could sign up for whichever group you wanted to play in that best fit your schedule. Some tournaments allowed people to sign up again in another group if they didn't qualify.

I loved it because I knew exactly when I had to go, knew that I would play right away, and knew that if I qualified then I wouldn't need to come back until Sunday.

Why can't more tournaments in the USA be like this? In the USA they tell everyone to show up at the same time, then you wait around forever to play, then they change the format to bring back 16 players on Sunday instead of 8 so you have to get a hotel room for another day...........

I much prefer the groups - firm start time - qualify for a final day firm start time.

I also like loser pays table time. It puts a little something extra on the match at hand and compensates the room for the wear and tear on the tables. I guess the Chinese room owners like it too because every race here is a race to 30. :-) Just kidding but they don't have short races.

What sucks here is if I am a 13 and my opponent is a 6 and I lose hill/hill. That's a tough beat to pay table time on 18 games. But overall I really like the way the tournaments are run here and really miss the ones in Germany.
How much is table time in China?
 
Back
Top