How would you generalize pros of the current year?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Due to covid and online interviews its been easier to access pool personalities.
I hope this is in the spirit of humor for laughs.

Darren Appleton: The face and heart of the pool world.

Mika Immonen: Legend

Albin Ouschan: Pretty face, but not good at talking

Fedor Gorst: Has explanation for everything and everyone else

Eklent Kaci: Fresh and up to date on trends

Pool is worth having, fans should share their favs list often and frequently.
from fav shots, fav runouts, fav safes,.... fav pool moments like breaking a cuestick
I am still hoping for a pro pool player to punch a fan in the face like wrestling.

The direction this could help a writer play up stories or inspire others to share their interpretation and views.

The myths and legends have to start some where.

Its about pool in the main forum.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been thinking. If I ever go to a tournament I will probably purchase a pool stick so at the beginning I can break it over my knee. Along with doing a spear kung fu routine with a pool stick.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The original post is among the strangest I've seen on the forum. Darren, a justifiably beloved figure in the game, has been among the least visible pros in the game in 2021. Mika has been even less visible. Neither is relevant in trying to frame the pool year to this point.

I would suggest that the face of pool in 2021 has been Dennis Orcullo, the only top ten in the world player that has managed to find both competitive and action matches very often despite the limitations that the pandemic had placed on our game. Dennis has an almost unfathomable eight titles in 2021 and is about to compete again at Buffalo Billiards next week. Dennis has been an inspiration in 2021.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
How to present the billiards industry as a story to a mainstream audience is what I am trying to address.
The focus is on the people and personalities and struggles. The pool action is secondary.

Selling a story about pool players, there has to be a way that can be done well. I don't think I did it with the OP.

Thanks for all the feedback.

71dewajack

The original post is among the strangest I've seen on the forum. Darren, a justifiably beloved figure in the game, has been among the least visible pros in the game in 2021. Mika has been even less visible. Neither is relevant in trying to frame the pool year to this point.

I would suggest that the face of pool in 2021 has been Dennis Orcullo, the only top ten in the world player that has managed to find both competitive and action matches very often despite the limitations that the pandemic had placed on our game. Dennis has an almost unfathomable eight titles in 2021 and is about to compete again at Buffalo Billiards next week. Dennis has been an inspiration in 2021.
I haven't been on the forum long, but I appreciate your insights and knowledge. I've enjoyed reading many of your posts and have learned some things in the process. I think you're spot on with Dennis. He has certainly grabbed my attention to a much greater degree over the last year.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
How to present the billiards industry as a story to a mainstream audience is what I am trying to address.
The focus is on the people and personalities and struggles. The pool action is secondary.

Selling a story about pool players, there has to be a way that can be done well. I don't think I did it with the OP.

Thanks for all the feedback.
If you're focusing on the people and personalities, your list is very hard to justify.

The most interesting personality and also the most charismatic player in the game today is Alex Pagulayan. Naoyuki Oi isn't far behind. By comparison, the admitted world beater Fedor Gorst may be the most lifeless player of all highly visible players. I similarly find Albin Ouschan to be one of the most colorless players in the game, showing little emotion at our away from the table.

I would agree that Kaci is animated and interesting. The most interesting stories out there among American players are probably Tyler Styer and Chris Robinson.