How Would You Get from The 5 To The 8?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good effort! The cut looks thinner than the table layout, but part of that is the camera position I think. Was surprised how easily you could roll through short of the jaw. That would be the shot if on.

Would have liked to see you attempt the power draw with inside english to see if you could arc it away from the long rail.

btw: I didn't see you chalk the cue. I think you can get a bit more work on the ball if you can hit lower and wider on the CB.

Colin

Hi Colin,

Which power draw? Can you draw the path? Yes, I don't think I chalked once, lol. I know I did chalk before the camera started rolling. lol.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like that you put videos up!

I noticed on the draw shots, it seemed you were hitting much harder than necessary to clear the side pocket, which in turn didn't allow the action to happen. But, that could be just that your table play differently than mine.

I will try a softer hit. Super low and soft, see what will happen.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think, if there's one thing your video has proven, it's that making the 5 and keeping the cue-ball on the table are the primary goals. From there, the shooter is allowed to make a choice based on personal preference and table conditions. It appears, the rails and cloth on your table play a little slower than the bouncy tables I typically play on. For the record, I think your table plays kinda great. That said, if this were on bouncier rails, I think it would be in my interest to kill the speed and stay away from going around the 9.

All that aside, the 8 is wide open. All you really have to do is get in the neighborhood and you should be okay.

Good point. It seemed on every method where I pocketed the ball and didn't scratch there was at least some sort of reasonable shot on the 8.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks all. Regarding setting the balls up, its really tricky and I think impossible to get the "exact" position. I think on this particular shot, 1" difference in either the 5 or the CB would changed the shot a lot.

You can also see on my video that parallax comes into play. The lines on my table I can assure you are within .5mm of the center of the diamonds....(anal engineer here)..... But you can see in the video they don't line up with the diamonds on the rail due to the camera angle. The same situation happens on the accustats videos. I think even the directly overhead shot is slightly suspect.

This is also why commentating on a match can be so difficult.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
111.png

Seemed like the obvious choice...

:)

playonepocket

One pocket!!!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an overhead shot of my interpretation of the layout from my phone. This is what I shot in the video. You can see even in this shot from standing on the table the optical distortion comes into play. The middle line on the table lines up with the diamond, but the outer lines on the table do not line up with their respective diamond.

IMG_0306.JPG

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is an overhead shot of my interpretation of the layout from my phone. This is what I shot in the video. You can see even in this shot from standing on the table the optical distortion comes into play. The middle line on the table lines up with the diamond, but the outer lines on the table do not line up with their respective diamond.

View attachment 364986

This is about right. And on the monitor, it looks like a super tough cut. Standing at the table, it really is just another blind back cut.

samsarakid24

A Little TWISTED !!!!!
Silver Member
No Brainer

Looks to me like cutting the 5 in the corner with follow will avoid the scratch in the side on the near side. Cue can come off the rail and below the 8 for the shot in the same side.

Should be pretty simple to get the shape you need on the 9 from there.

This to me is the way I would play it as well....Nothing Fancy, just a Nice Cut shot on the 5 Ball and Automatic Position for the 8-Ball in the Side.

My 2 Cents....I'm gonna Do it Right Now

Thanks.....Paul

Looks natural to roll off the one rail for the 8 in the same side, the 2 rail draw shot needs just the right amount of speed

There can be problems with that approach....
...all cloth and balls and rails do not play the same.
..on some tables you may kiss the 8-ball for an awkward angle or even having to combo
the 9-ball.
I've had light cue balls go into the side on this angle.

I find that systems for angles can be misleading in real time.....
...in the military, they say "The map is not the terrain."

Shannon Daulton took the one-rail route and smacked into the 8 ball:eek:.

I guess this shot may depend a lot on how your table plays, as many here have pointed out.

333.jpg

444.jpg

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Colin,

Which power draw? Can you draw the path? Yes, I don't think I chalked once, lol. I know I did chalk before the camera started rolling. lol.

I'll attach below again. After seeing how the angle played for you, not sure if draw at the required speed will arc enough to get past the corner pocket. Might need a slightly fuller angle. You also might need to hit so low that less IE can be put on the CB, such that it may travel 3 rails and not the 4 rails diagrammed. Might need bouncier rails than your table too.

Colin

Attachments

• AZB stun draw2.jpg
    AZB stun draw2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
Seriously, this is my favorite type of shitty situation. All you really have to do is make the 5, keep the cue-ball on the table and not get hooked. As well, the precise location of the 5 and the cueball can have a huge influence on your decision here (draw, not draw, spin or no spin) that your approach is allowed to vary once you're staring at the shot. My thought is, find a path that keeps the cueball on the table and away from the 9. I'm okay with landing close to the 8 but I'm prepared for another tough shot.

I approach these shots with the exact same mindset. Agree 100%

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'll attach below again. After seeing how the angle played for you, not sure if draw at the required speed will arc enough to get past the corner pocket. Might need a slightly fuller angle. You also might need to hit so low that less IE can be put on the CB, such that it may travel 3 rails and not the 4 rails diagrammed. Might need bouncier rails than your table too.

Colin

There must be a support group in your area where you could find some comfort for
your problem.

"Hi, my name is Colin.....and I'm a spinaholic."

:)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Colin

Colin, I tried your shot for a few minutes. I couldn't get it, but had similar action a few times. I don't think its possible from that exact position for the reasons stated in the video. (At least its not possible for me:))

Thanks for the shot sketch.

http://youtu.be/po9CqxM_x9c

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Colin, I tried your shot for a few minutes. I couldn't get it, but had similar action a few times. I don't think its possible from that exact position for the reasons stated in the video. (At least its not possible for me:))

My post #22 was the shot you did at 5:00 minutes into your video. Simple to do and you wind up with a shot to the corner or the side. Most other options have a slight pitfall if hit poorly. The three rail shape is ok if you can guarantee to go around the nine ball.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for trying that out on video mate:)

I agree that it needs a bit more of a full angle and that it's quite difficult to get the arc right with enough IE.

I had a few attempts on my own table yesterday and came to the same conclusion. I got the line a few times but not with the power required. I finished near the end rail and once scratched in the left end rail corner pocket.

Not as easy as I'd imagined... have been playing too much english 8 ball with the smaller cue ball I think.