How would you like a tournament like this?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Two tournaments simultaneously run over a weekend at one location.

First Tournament: 16 players, One Pocket, $2,000.00 entry fee, $4,000.00 added. No Green Fee. No Registration Fee. No Tour Fee. No fee at all.

Second Tournament: 64 players (No Master players), 9 Ball, $40.00 entry fee, $1,000.00 added. $10 Green Fee (to be added back in to the already guaranteed $1,000.00 added money.)

Anything else you would like to see added or changed?

Oh yeah, big money action all week long..........

Oh yeah, a Calcutta with both events.

JoeyA

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming the 9ball is for lesser players and one pocket is for higher players. I like it.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
You will be hard pressed to get 16 players to put up $2000 for a one pocket event.

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there was a one pocket in Des Moines last year with a $2,000 entry, and they had 16 players.

hmmm, I must be out of the loop haha. I live in West Des Moines and was not aware of this... Was it at Big Dogs Billiards?

InTheCloudzzz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...$10 Green Fee (to be added back in to the already guaranteed $1,000.00 added money.)...

I'm obviously missing something here but I don't understand the point in taking out a green fee just to add it back. Isn't that the same as no green fee?

Ryan

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Two tournaments simultaneously run over a weekend at one location.

First Tournament: 16 players, One Pocket, $2,000.00 entry fee, $4,000.00 added. No Green Fee. No Registration Fee. No Tour Fee. No fee at all.

Second Tournament: 64 players (No Master players), 9 Ball, $40.00 entry fee, $1,000.00 added. $10 Green Fee (to be added back in to the already guaranteed $1,000.00 added money.)

Anything else you would like to see added or changed?

Oh yeah, big money action all week long..........

Oh yeah, a Calcutta with both events.

JoeyA

I would skip the $40 tournament and dig in a good place to watch the One Hole.

JoeyA

Silver Member
I'm obviously missing something here but I don't understand the point in taking out a green fee just to add it back. Isn't that the same as no green fee?

Ryan

It is a TWIST and an exclamation point for sure Ryan, but not really. It seems that people complain about Green Fees, Tour Fees, Registration Fees et cetera.

With taking out a green fee and then adding it back in, allows the pool room owner/promoter to limit their exposure to guaranteeing the $1,000 added money, plus only $10 for each person that participates in the tournament (rather than guaranteeing an additional $640.00). The players can realize that for each person that shows up, there will be an additional $10 added to the payouts.

I was hoping that someone would mention that they would prefer that any GREEN fees that are paid out, would be split between the Prize money and the Calcutta money. Kind of curious as to what the AMATEUR players would prefer.

Any ideas for bettering such a tournament?
Let's discuss it. Pro and Con...

JoeyA

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA...IMO any "greens fees" should go to the TD and/or the room owner. Both of them are providing a service, and they should be compensated for their service. I don't know about you, but I don't work for free, and I don't know anybody who does. :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

It is a TWIST and an exclamation point for sure Ryan, but not really. It seems that people complain about Green Fees, Tour Fees, Registration Fees et cetera.

With taking out a green fee and then adding it back in, allows the pool room owner/promoter to limit their exposure to guaranteeing the $1,000 added money, plus only $10 for each person that participates in the tournament (rather than guaranteeing an additional $640.00). The players can realize that for each person that shows up, there will be an additional $10 added to the payouts.

I was hoping that someone would mention that they would prefer that any GREEN fees that are paid out, would be split between the Prize money and the Calcutta money. Kind of curious as to what the AMATEUR players would prefer.

JoeyA

tjshaw02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyA...IMO any "greens fees" should go to the TD and/or the room owner. Both of them are providing a service, and they should be compensated for their service. I don't know about you, but I don't work for free, and I don't know anybody who does. :D

Scott Lee

If the room owner is just trying to bring in more business by hosting the tournament I would think that sales in food/beverage plus anything he/she sells from the proshop would be good compensation. The TD should make a couple bucks though I would think.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JoeyA
since the green fee, is pretty much part of the entry fee, i think it should go into the regular prize fund, not 50/50 with the calcutta....(putting it in calcutta, is like having a money added calcutta....never seen that before)

InTheCloudzzz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...I was hoping that someone would mention that they would prefer that any GREEN fees that are paid out, would be split between the Prize money and the Calcutta money...

I would think this would be very odd. Giving any part of a player's entry fee to the calcutta buyer rather than the player doesn't make much sense to me. Entry fees (minus green fees, etc) should go to the tournament $ only, not to the calcutta, IMO.

Ryan

JoeyA

Silver Member
since the green fee, is pretty much part of the entry fee, i think it should go into the regular prize fund, not 50/50 with the calcutta....(putting it in calcutta, is like having a money added calcutta....never seen that before)

I would think this would be very odd. Giving any part of a player's entry fee to the calcutta buyer rather than the player doesn't make much sense to me. Entry fees (minus green fees, etc) should go to the tournament $ only, not to the calcutta, IMO.

Ryan

That's what I wanted to hear you say.

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
If the room owner is just trying to bring in more business by hosting the tournament I would think that sales in food/beverage plus anything he/she sells from the proshop would be good compensation. The TD should make a couple bucks though I would think.

I agree with you. At this one pool room I am talking about, the owner is almost always the tournament director.
Thanks for the suggestion.

JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
Sorry, I glossed over your post. That makes sense if the tournament director isn't the pool room owner.

JoeyA

Scott Lee

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
absolutely LOVE the sound of this.

i'm not sure about getting 16 guys to put up 2k for one pocket tournaments...i know it happened a couple times last year, but it seemed like it was really tough to get money for all the players in those fields. maybe a 1k entry wound be easier to get.

that said...if a tournament like this was within a reasonable drive of 4-5 hours of me...i'd definitely be there.