How would you play this?

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I'm playing the ghost and this came up. I couldn't decide what to do, so I conceded the rack and decided to take a "time out" with myself (that sounds bad) and figure out what I would do in league. Ya know, defense and what not.
image.jpg
I'll tell you what I did. I wanna hear what you would do. I'll study the layout and if you want to know if a ball goes or not I'll tell ya. Let's make it fun

From top to bottom: 8,7,5,9 on the spot,6. Cue ball on the short rail closest to the 6
Ben

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
If I'm seeing this right and the 5 passes the 8, cut the 5 in the top right corner with right draw, pretty straight forward after that, 6 in the lower right corner , 7 softly in the side, stop on the 8. The 5-7 combo is on and not too difficult but it will take good execution to leave a shot on the 5.
Or if the 5 doesn't pass the 8 or you don't have confidence in the 5 ball shot or the combo, the best safe is to softly roll the 5 into the 8 and put the cue ball on the rail behind the 7.

Any thin hit safe of the 5 sending the cue ball downtable is risky because of the scratch or the 5 popping back out.

Last edited:

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing that will solve the puzzle is to bank the five in the side, the cb will come down nicely for the 6 and from there it should be a "walk in the park". If the 5 goes in the right corner a nice stun draw (or at least it seems like it) will do the run easy also.

Chrippa

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
One thing that will solve the puzzle is to bank the five in the side, the cb will come down nicely for the 6 and from there it should be a "walk in the park". If the 5 goes in the right corner a nice stun draw (or at least it seems like it) will do the run easy also.

Chrippa

A cross bank here would be a terrible choice unless you were playing against someone who couldn't run 3 balls.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
The combo isn't hard at all, so that's the way I would go.
Like Tate said, the leave is a little tricky... I'd play to hit the 7 full and shoot softly to keep the 5 in front of the pocket and away from the rail.

Last edited:

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cross bank here would be a terrible choice unless you were playing against someone who couldn't run 3 balls.

I read it was against the ghost and against that little bugger I will do what it takes:).

Chrippa

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
If I'm seeing this right and the 5 passes the 8, cut the 5 in the top right corner with right draw, pretty straight forward after that, 6 in the lower right corner , 7 softly in the side, stop on the 8. The 5-7 combo is on and not too difficult but it will take good execution to leave a shot on the 5.
Or if the 5 doesn't pass the 8 or you don't have confidence in the 5 ball shot or the combo, the best safe is to softly roll the 5 into the 8 and put the cue ball on the rail behind the 7.

Any thin hit safe of the 5 sending the cue ball downtable is risky because of the scratch or the 5 popping back out.

The man said it all :thumbup:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
If the 5 has a path to the right upper corner- then "just" runout :)

But to play here a good and EASY safety would be my choice- to shoot the 5 ball towards the 8 ball- or even choosing to shoot the 5 ball between rail and the 8... .. super high percentage to leave a safety- and the cueball somewhere near the rail with the 6 as a blocker for Mr. Whitey :)

i would say this would (should :p) be a 90-95 % safety).

lg from oveseas,

Ingo

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Personally I don't like playing the ghost differently than a match but I understand the difference.

I like the combo in the side with the cue rolling. IF it misses, the 7 should block the next shot on the 5 so it's a two way shot if hit correctly.

If made the 5 is there for the corner to the 6.

But I'm not a big 9 ball player so I rarely think 1 way safeties.

Best 2 All,
Rick

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see a few options here.
1. The first shot I see is the combo in the side. I can't see the exact angle the five would take off the 7 to ensure shape but it looks like the 5 would hit the long rail and float out to hang in front of the side pocket.

2. A touchy safety. I like touchy safeties. Hit the 5 between the 7 and 8 to leave it either behind the 8 or on frozen on the rail. The CB is going to naturally roll to the long rail below the 7 so the 7 is your blocker.

That being said you could play he roll angle off the 5 and freeze the CB to the 7 as well.

9intheside

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to tell from the picture, that looks really tight going past the 8. Since it's the ghost I would play the combo rolling whitey up beside the 8 playing the 5 back in this corner after.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The angle for the combo looks like the 5 might be screwed if you play it soft. Id play the combo but hit it a little harder to make the 5 bounce out about a foot and shoot the 5 in the bottom right corner. There's a bit more margin for error when playing the combo this way I feel. Then it all depends on how you are on the 5 as to what you do on the 6.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
For practice reasons, I decided to play safe. I didn't like the five all the way down because of the position on the six, and I never really looked at the five seven combo. This is what I did. I played the five to the short rail sending the CB behind the seven and eight. I took BIH and ran out. Thanks, this was fun.

Ben

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the five doesn't go into the top right corner, it's getting hammered one rail into the left side pocket.

Playing the ghost, you should be taking risky shots. The ghost gets out from any safety.

Edit -

If you don't have the confidence to shoot the ball down into the corner or bank it cross side, then you need to play more or get a drink.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting layout. I would probably play the 5-7 combo pocket speed so the 5 doesn't fall. The other option is the 5 up table in the corner.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I didn't like the five all the way down because of the position on the six,
Ben

That means the 5 passes the 8. For 9 ball this is just a medium difficulty shot. Position is pretty standard, so you should practice cutting the 5 in the corner. I use a little low right on this shot and just concentrate on making the 5 up in the corner - the cue ball will naturally go to the rail and back to the other side of the 6 to shoot the 6 in the lower right corner. You need to practice this and after 15 minutes or a half hour it will be a higher percentage shot.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I see a few options here.
1. The first shot I see is the combo in the side. I can't see the exact angle the five would take off the 7 to ensure shape but it looks like the 5 would hit the long rail and float out to hang in front of the side pocket.

2. A touchy safety. I like touchy safeties. Hit the 5 between the 7 and 8 to leave it either behind the 8 or on frozen on the rail. The CB is going to naturally roll to the long rail below the 7 so the 7 is your blocker.

That being said you could play he roll angle off the 5 and freeze the CB to the 7 as well.

Any safety he shoots the ghost will still get out of, I think, at least the ghost I play shoots that good. I have never played a successful safe on my ghost, its really starting to piss me off too!!

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any safety he shoots the ghost will still get out of, I think, at least the ghost I play shoots that good. I have never played a successful safe on my ghost, its really starting to piss me off too!!
Yeah, id rather try draw back into the 9 off the 5 to make it into the bottom left corner than try play safe against the ghost. Cant remember the last time that little bugger missed a pot.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd combo that 5 ball into the 7 ball all day. Hit a soft stop shot with enough speed for the 5 to roll out in front of the side pocket after hitting the 7 ball.

Best,
Mike