Huidji See's impossible 9 ball cut shot

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BhwOfehc8U&feature=related

@1:04:24

Letting you guys see some amazing stuff.

Go huidjinius!

Here's a link that goes directly to Ko Pin Yi's attempted safety, that subsequently results in See's cut-shot:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3BhwOfehc8U#t=3860

I wouldn't consider that an "impossible" cut shot -- as it was far enough off the cushion to offer a little (albeit a very little bit) of angle. Difficult? Yes, especially being it was right after getting out of the chair. Impossible? No.

If you want to see an "impossible" cut shot, how about Bob Jewett's 90-degree (and greater than 90-degree in one of the precursor warm-up attempts) shot shown here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GaSKh1PSqok

<In his best Crocodile Dundee aussie accent imitation...> "That's not a cut-shot... this is a cut-shot!" :D

-Sean

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I wouldn't consider that an "impossible" cut shot -- as it was far enough off the cushion to offer a little (albeit a very little bit) of angle. Difficult? Yes, especially being it was right after getting out of the chair. Impossible? No. ...
It was a great shot under the circumstances. The actual angle is fairly easy to calculate. If you take a line from the pocket the 9 goes in to through the 9 and to the side rail, it meets the rail at about 3.5 diamonds. That means that the path of the 9 ball forms about a 40 degree angle with the far end rail. For the path of the cue ball, it's a little hard to tell, but it looks to me like the ghost ball is about 8 inches farther from the left cushion than the cue ball, and the cue ball travels about 80 inches to the 9. This means that the cue ball is shot away from the cushion at an angle of about 6 degrees. That would make the cut angle 90-40+6 = 56 degrees. Making the shot much tougher are shooting from the rail and the long distances involved.

A standard tough cut at one pocket is making a spot shot from the jaws of a head pocket (after your opponent has pocketed a ball there and the ball spots) into the "wrong" foot pocket. That angle is about 64 degrees, but as a shooter it looks paper thin.

I suspect the camera angle makes the shot look tougher. The end-rail view also makes easy back-cuts look very difficult.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Let me know if this isn't the shot in question. I was more impressed on making position on the 10-ball.

Listening to the chinese announcers, it sounded like they pronounced his name Who Did You See, as in Who Did You See make that shot. :D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 8.56.16 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-05-26 at 8.56.16 PM.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 521

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. That's it. Nice shot. That's the first time I'v been able to see him shoot. Nice.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think in the 2002 Challenge of Champions, Efren hit an unbelievably thin cut shot with the 9 on the rail. I have it on DVD, but I don't have technical capability to upload it onto youtube. Anybody remember that shot? It was unbelievable, especially considering the situation- if he missed, the match was over

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell, might as well shoot at it...but with shape? I agree that shape added hugely to the difficulty. Personally, I'd be 2/10 at just making the ball...about .33/10 for shape added :sad:

That said, all new and shiny equipment...that table plays quite a bit differently that the tables at the joint you play at!