Huntin' for Captain Hook

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
This question came up the other day, chatting with some pool buddies.

Does Mike Sigel teach private lessons? If so, any idea how to contact him? Last we heard he lives in the Baltimore area, but that's all the info we know.:confused:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14oneman said:

Does Mike Sigel teach private lessons? If so, any idea how to contact him? Last we heard he lives in the Baltimore area, but that's all the info we know.:confused:

As soon as everyone finds Kevin Tredeau or Deno Andrews, you could ask one of them.

chrstc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,
I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned this yet but Mike Sigel was offering a 3 day 'Pool Boot Camp' on the IPT website. The link doesn't appear on the latest version of the site but it's still available here:

http://www.internationalpooltour.com/ipt_content/store/products/sigel_bootcamp.asp

There is a phone number there which you can use to contact them with questions apparently. Might well be the best way to try and get in touch about lessons. Otherwise you could try emailing sigelcues@msn.com which is the address that was on the old www.mikesigel.com website. See this old AZ thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=29749

and note the line:

'Interested in the NEW POOL SCHOOL with Mike Sigel; email sigelcues@msn.com'

Hope this all helps,
Chris (Chrstc).

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14oneman said:
I recollect reading in Billiards Digest that Mike Sigel charged Kevin Trudeau $500/hour for private lessons. :eek: This is a fine example of one huckster hustering another. :rolleyes:

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
I thought this thread was about me.:)

Mike lives just outside of Orlando and owns a few Pool rooms and has his Cue business in that area also.

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched the first of three Sigel/Trudeau instructionals on the IPT website.Early on in that first instructional, Trudeau states that Mike Sigel charges a whopping $5000 a day for instructions.

Still want to take some lessons from Mike?

RJ

Ruthless

~= Gator Nation =~
Silver Member
CaptainHook said:
I thought this thread was about me.:)

Mike lives just outside of Orlando and owns a few Pool rooms and has his Cue business in that area also.

He does live just outside Orlando in Winter Garden, FL and has a Pool Supply Business. But he doesn't own a pool room.....He plays at a Clicks Billiards here since Pro Billiards closed. I've never seen him give lessons, but he does talk to himself quite a bit :)

At one time he impressed me, but those days are long gone from what I see playing the table next to him quite a bit. There are about 10 people in Orlando that would rob him (I may be one of those).

I will say that he is a pretty nice guy and fairly polite.

Last edited:

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
OK.....what about Rempe?

Thanks to everyone for the info on Mike. I have passed the info on to the person(s) who were interested, which IMMEDIATELY brought up another question.

What about Jim Rempe? Does HE teach, and is he still located in the Scranton area?

Thanks in advance!!!:D

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
14oneman said:
... any idea how to contact him? ...
In a new thread entitled "Big List of Cue Makers" is a list of about 400 of them. It claims that Sigel is in Oakland, FL, which is next to Winter Garden. Independently from google's cached info:

Sigel's Unlimited Cues & Accessories
730 South Dillard Street
Winter Garden, FL 34787
407-656-CUES (2837)
SigelCues@msn.com

chrstc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14oneman said:
Thanks to everyone for the info on Mike. I have passed the info on to the person(s) who were interested, which IMMEDIATELY brought up another question.

What about Jim Rempe? Does HE teach, and is he still located in the Scranton area?

Thanks in advance!!!:D

Hello,
I know Jim Rempe has just moved house but he still lives somewhere in the Scranton area I think. He's very easy to contact. Just email

KJREMP@AOL.COM

or visit www.jimrempe.com

I'm pretty sure he still gives private lessons too and he seems like a very nice guy judging by his emails to me.

Hope this helps,
Chris (Chrstc).

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14oneman said:

sounds like you might be in the north east?....good thing if you want to find a teacher. A few that come to mind:

Jim Rempe
Allen Hopkins
Bob Maidhoff
Jimmy Fusco
...and a million other champions within a couple of hours.

Gerry

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for your prompt responses!:)
Man, I LOVE this forum! GREAT source of unending knowledge!

Peace to all, and thanks again!:D :D :D

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Sigel and Rempe wer both a huge influence on my playing. I learned from them by watching VHS tapes of matches over and over. :)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pro player is not necessarily a good instructor

14oneman...I'm surprised that you (or your friend) want to seek good quality instruction, but figure you can only get it from a professional player. They are often unable to communicate effectively, and are not trained as teachers. IMO, your best opportunity for really good instruction, is to seek out a qualified professional teacher.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
Good teachers

Scott,

I agree 100% with you, as I am a teacher myself.(music not billiards lol!). Although I am a working professional musician as well.

Some friends and I were having a discussion on the subject, and these questions came up, so I tossed them out to the forum to find the answers. I'm not looking for an instructor for myself, just trying to get some answers for some friends. I actually mentioned to them that I read some VERY favorable reviews on YOU as a teacher, and suggested they contact you, but apparently you are located too far away for them.:( We're not aware of any qualified instructors in this part of the country, OTHER than pros.

Last edited:

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruthless said:
He does live just outside Orlando in Winter Garden, FL and has a Pool Supply Business. But he doesn't own a pool room.....He plays at a Clicks Billiards here since Pro Billiards closed. I've never seen him give lessons, but he does talk to himself quite a bit :)

At one time he impressed me, but those days are long gone from what I see playing the table next to him quite a bit. There are about 10 people in Orlando that would rob him (I may be one of those).

I will say that he is a pretty nice guy and fairly polite.

10 people in Orlando that would rob him!!! Mike may have his best days behind him, but finding 10 people in Orlando that will rob him playing any rotation game is next to impossible. If Mike has 1 week to prepare I like his game over Rob Saez for example. I backed Rob when he was a kid and watched him play a few matches at derby city. Mike Sigel can still dab'em. As recently as 2004 (around the time he won the Mizerak senior tourney) I put Antonio Lining in the box against Mike one 8 ahead set for 2k. They agreed to quit after 8 hours with Antonio 3 games ahead. Mike paid us 750 and told us next time we wouldn't play cheap. Him and Antonio have a history. Mike almost took it down in the beginning Antonio ran the first two racks missed the four ball I believe and Mike put a 7 pack on him. (I am not sure 10 people in Orlando have ever ran a 7 pack) Mike was 5 up and Antonio battled to get 3 ahead. Antonio robbed Parica that same road trip to let you know how he was playing. He gave Danny Medina the 7 and tortured him. Point being Mike is still a threat in his 50's he is in good shape and he was among the best 9ballers of all time