I found a Real Meucci!

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I recently purchased a Meucci from Jerry powers, (jerico custom cues) he had one and the price was right, so I went ahead and bought it because you know there are some die hard meucci fans and you can find a buyer pretty quick.

Well, I got it today, nothing speacial, just a sneaky pete, then I hit some balls with it, WOW! that cue plays the way the ones I use to did, the hit was solid, (the tip is HARD) its actualy low deflection and its easy to move the cue ball around.. I liked it so much I played with it all night..and believe it or not, Im actualy debating on using it as my player..:eek:

I compared it to the room owners fancy high dollar meucci and there was absolutely no comparison.. The sneaky is far superior in terms of hit and spin.. Im not sure if this is just a freak, but Im keeping it..

For all you meucci haters out there, the newer ones, maybe, but If you hit with this one you might even lay down that predator, and this is no joke.. its a red dot too!

maybe Jerry tweeked it?...lol

in any case, If you know me you know its the performance that concerns me, and when I find a cue no matter the brand that plays well, I like to talk about it..

SPINDOKTOR

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
agree

I owned an early eighties Meucci bought new. It was a bear to learn to play with because I was moving from house cues to gamble with to the Meucci for tournament play. World of difference in how they played but once I got a handle on the Meucci it played well. Something happened to the shaft when I sent it to a local shop to be retipped and the shop sent it back with a crappy used shaft that didn't match. They denied swapping shafts but the ring work didn't even match and this was an old blue shaft that was warped in trade for an almost new one. That was one of the things that led to me quitting playing for years.

Hu

SPINDOKTOR said:
I recently purchased a Meucci from Jerry powers, (jerico custom cues) he had one and the price was right, so I went ahead and bought it because you know there are some die hard meucci fans and you can find a buyer pretty quick.

Well, I got it today, nothing speacial, just a sneaky pete, then I hit some balls with it, WOW! that cue plays the way the ones I use to did, the hit was solid, (the tip is HARD) its actualy low deflection and its easy to move the cue ball around.. I liked it so much I played with it all night..and believe it or not, Im actualy debating on using it as my player..:eek:

I compared it to the room owners fancy high dollar meucci and there was absolutely no comparison.. The sneaky is far superior in terms of hit and spin.. Im not sure if this is just a freak, but Im keeping it..

For all you meucci haters out there, the newer ones, maybe, but If you hit with this one you might even lay down that predator, and this is no joke.. its a red dot too!

maybe Jerry tweeked it?...lol

in any case, If you know me you know its the performance that concerns me, and when I find a cue no matter the brand that plays well, I like to talk about it..

SPINDOKTOR

BottomEnglish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you!

Spindoktor, I fully agree. My first cue was a Meucci Original back in the early eighties and I still have it. It's a great cue but I retired it since it still looks so good. My next cue was a Meucci Sneaky Pete and I still have it as well. I've owned several cues including a Predator, Lucasi (radial pin), a Falcon, and even a couple of bar cues (Players Sneakys). I still get that Meucci SP out once in a while and I still love playing with it. I don't know what it is, but I'm always comfortable playing with that cue.

stikapos

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The key is that the red dot shaft is a good one and has low deflection. If it works, why change ?

tim

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
Here is why I like it, on some shots, even if I hit it bad, (where Id useualy miss) the ball falls right in... I cant explain it other than its very forgiving?

I had no trouble adjusting, either, the first 5 racks I played with it I ran out. the other two racks I missed due to bad position because the meucci get's alot of spin... and I ended up hooked.

This couldnt have happened at a better time, I had just read a post about Bob and watched the clips where he talked about grain, tip shape, hardness etc.. This cue is an example of his vision. My friend who owns a Predator (800$+) Played with the sneaky for 15-20 min and he didnt want to give it back..This was actualy before I had shot with it....

I said you like that mooch? he grinned and said, yeah, how much you want for it? I said what? you hate Meucci cues?? he said yes, I do but this doesnt play like a meucci....well you know I was astonished, and said alright you quack let me see.. (knowing he was just messing with me..) I threw some balls on the table, and not once did I miss... he said see! well, I did it again, and I noticed the tip was very hard.. we both commented on its hardness..

Niether of us are Meucci fans, I had a couple good ones long ago, but I never liked the newer ones.. he has never owned a Meucci, only test hit with them..

the meucci is for sale, I'll take 900$ + shipping... ;)

Really though, those whom defend meucci, may very well have a "good" one, for me its been awhile, 10 years or better since I have held a meucci I liked, this one isnt "pretty" by any means, but it plays lights out and I dont say that lightly...lol

Yes, I can play with anything, but believe this, I am very hard to impress.. and you can imagine with all the meucci haters I was a bit skeptical to come forward with my findings.. but who cares, I have never been one to Jump the bandwagon, in fact the more people say its sooooo bad, its Junk etc... those are the cues I buy to try myself. If they are truely junk, then I will say its JUNK.

recently, I have tried cuetec, tiger X shaft, Fury, and now a plain jane meucci ... All these cues have made an impression, and none is what Id call junk. the X shaft, I am having trouble with, (the ferrule broke) Im sending it to tiger for diagnosis.. nothing wrong with the playability for sure...

one last thing, Since I have a Meucci now, Im prepared to try the Black dot, and the 314-2 and Z-2 on this butt to see if its the butt or the shaft that makes this one "good" and how they compare to the factory red dot..

maybe even Ob-1 and tiger products, since this is an expensive adventure, it may take awhile, but I'll do it.

SPINDOKTOR

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grats, sounds really nice, few years ago, Maybe 3 or 4 years I had this meucci cue that really felt something special aswell, It didn't felt like any other Meucci believe me. It was so solid and sweet. I gave it to some of my friends to play with it and they couldn't even believe it, It is a meucci with different touch, because i've used some other meucci's aswell. but that one was unique, then I gave it to a real close friend of mine, he asked me to keep it for awhile, I say ok! after few months he broke it. I know my friend very well, when he gets angry he could do anything, I forgive him for breaking the cue! He still is my friend, but the cue was really special. I actually tried to find another piece that looked the same everywhere, but with no succees. That meucci was one of a kind, I also asked few people on different forums back in the days, they told me that this type of cue was rare. I believe meucci did the same as it only 4 or 5 times. and I was lucky to have one ;)

oh by the way SPINDOKTOR Can you post a pic of yours, I'm curious to see it ;)

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Meucci's are very poorly made cues. BUT, they have an extremely unique hit and feel that nothing else on the market even comes close to.

Meucci is either a love/hate cue. Some love it, most hate it. Regardless of the haters, the cue does play well with its very unique feel and hit.

It was the lowest squirt shaft on the market before the Predator and other scientifically tested shafts came about.

The older ones are much better. The old ones with the metal joints are best. They have the most solid maple forearms and the harder maple shafts. Made back in the day when quality wood was more easily available. That is true of many cues on the market today.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got an old Moochie wood to wood sneaky that was made before the red dot, black dot bs came to market that I play with almost every day. Love that thing. The hit is hard to describe.....not hard but not really soft either..."just right" I guess sums it up. Mine even has the original long ferule too:)

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It was the lowest squirt shaft on the market before the Predator and other scientifically tested shafts came about.
Sorry but Dufferin two-piece cues with short ferrules shot straigther imo_Or the Schuler cues.
Or Schon with Micarta ferrules.