I got $1,500 so tell me........

JayRack

What cue I should buy? I'm not going for aesthetics I'm going for the hit. I need a real player to gamble with every day.

JayRack

Thanks for the input. Im going to try and get a used mezz brown sneaky from another poster..... On another note I'm partial to wood shafts. I just couldn't get use to looking down that black barrel while I was shooting. Simple as that.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. Im going to try and get a used mezz brown sneaky from another poster..... On another note I'm partial to wood shafts. I just couldn't get use to looking down that black barrel while I was shooting. Simple as that.
Becue's early models had white shafts. :) See this video:

The beginning of the video shows the reviewer shooting various spin shots with his Becue. If you click on the link it will jump ahead to where he starts talking about his Becue. I don't know if you can still order a white shaft.

Of course, a black carbon shaft will allow you to draw the ball like this:

Last edited:

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I can say it for all players, CF is simply a better mousetrap. I have a taper bar set up to turn the bestest shafts from maple or spliced maple blanks that can be made, never-the-less, I won't be pushing maple shafts. Summer or Winter, Arizona or South Louisiana, take a CF shaft out and play with it. Twenty years from now a maple shaft will be the mark of a dinosaur. I'll still use one sometimes along with propelling it with a slip-stroke. Doesn't make it best. Some people preferring maple especially as recent as CF has came on the scene doesn't mean much either.

I like wood. Had my mind made up pretty solidly that I didn't like CF before I tried it. Tried it a few times, had to buy it.

Yeah, those silly people caused me grief not too long ago. I was thinking about buying something fairly pricey from England, a wood lathe. I asked how many dollars a couple thousand pounds were and my converter told me don't be silly, you can't convert pounds to dollars!

Hu

Hi Hu, I respect your opinion and I do agree with you about the CF shafts, in the past, I used to be closed-minded about the CF and stuck to maple and wood for the longest time, then after giving the Revo a try I hated it and went back to maple, however after sometimes I decided to give it another go but this time for a long period to give it a fair try and guess what, I can't believe how it made me consistent in terms of stroking balls and making balls,, it is insane! which is why I won't go back to maple too.

Anyway, I also want to ask you, what is your opinion about this new kielwood shafts, the dark brown ones? do they fare well with CFs or are they just another maple? thanks.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Becue's early models had white shafts. :) See this video:

The beginning of the video shows the reviewer shooting various spin shots with his Becue. If you click on the link it will jump ahead to where he starts talking about his Becue. I don't know if you can still order a white shaft.

Of course, with a black carbon shaft you'll be able to draw the ball like this:

Oh man I've been looking for white CF for the longes time, do you know any newer companies who still do white CF? I asked becue as well as Go-customs and both refused to make me a white CF.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh man I've been looking for white CF for the longes time, do you know any newer companies who still do white CF? I asked becue as well as Go-customs and both refused to make me a white CF.
I think HawaiianEye has some Becue white shafts. He posted that he switched to the Becue black shafts, so he might be willing to sell his white shafts. However, Becue's website won't let me put just a butt in my shopping cart, so I don't know how you would purchase just a butt.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Hu, I respect your opinion and I do agree with you about the CF shafts, in the past, I used to be closed-minded about the CF and stuck to maple and wood for the longest time, then after giving the Revo a try I hated it and went back to maple, however after sometimes I decided to give it another go but this time for a long period to give it a fair try and guess what, I can't believe how it made me consistent in terms of stroking balls and making balls,, it is insane! which is why I won't go back to maple too.

Anyway, I also want to ask you, what is your opinion about this new kielwood shafts, the dark brown ones? do they fare well with CFs or are they just another maple? thanks.

Bear in mind I have never been near a Kielwood shaft. The process was originally for wood intended for musical instruments. Best I understand, the wood is heated to higher levels than normal drying, perhaps for longer times too. The color change is much like a piece of meat changing color when you cook it.

Cooking the wood was for tone in musical instruments, it makes them sound closer to the sound of very old wood than normal drying and comparatively short term drying, maybe just aging a decade or so or maybe a normal oven treatment then years of aging. I don't know much about tonal wood.

Some people like the sound of the shafts better. Is a shaft made stronger? Weaker? Does the process break down the cell walls or weaken them so that normal play damages them? Is this a good or bad thing?

I have lots of questions, zero answers. I can see possible benefits, can definitely see some risks.

People have been fire hardening wood since ancient prehistoric times to make tools and weapons. The theory seems sound. The actual process?

Hu

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Bear in mind I have never been near a Kielwood shaft. The process was originally for wood intended for musical instruments. Best I understand, the wood is heated to higher levels than normal drying, perhaps for longer times too. The color change is much like a piece of meat changing color when you cook it.

Cooking the wood was for tone in musical instruments, it makes them sound closer to the sound of very old wood than normal drying and comparatively short term drying, maybe just aging a decade or so or maybe a normal oven treatment then years of aging. I don't know much about tonal wood.

Some people like the sound of the shafts better. Is a shaft made stronger? Weaker? Does the process break down the cell walls or weaken them so that normal play damages them? Is this a good or bad thing?

I have lots of questions, zero answers. I can see possible benefits, can definitely see some risks.

People have been fire hardening wood since ancient prehistoric times to make tools and weapons. The theory seems sound. The actual process?

Hu
Most of your questions may be answered if you actually tried one, I know I am going to try one soon. I'll order the phoenix from OB 12.3, looks really sweet, let me see how does it compare to Revo, and this will be the last shaft that I will order for a very long time, until maybe a new technology hits that is really good.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Most of your questions may be answered if you actually tried one, I know I am going to try one soon. I'll order the phoenix from OB 12.3, looks really sweet, let me see how does it compare to Revo, and this will be the last shaft that I will order for a very long time, until maybe a new technology hits that is really good.

I moved suddenly due to Hurricane Isaac. I don't know anyone that has one of those shafts to try. Give me the scoop after you get eight or ten hours on the Kielwood shaft. Wood that was as good or better than CF would almost be The Holy Grail.

Hu

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Hu
Folks also used to do a process called "boning" to wood. They would tap on the wood for incredible periods of time. It was believed that this process would condense/compact the cells of the wood, making an incredibly strong structure/piece. It's the same reason some players like bowling alley maple for shafts. After all those years of the bowling balls landing on the wood, those planks are hard/tough as nails.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Folks also used to do a process called "boning" to wood. They would tap on the wood for incredible periods of time. It was believed that this process would condense/compact the cells of the wood, making an incredibly strong structure/piece. It's the same reason some players like bowling alley maple for shafts. After all those years of the bowling balls landing on the wood, those planks are hard/tough as nails.

Thank You! I am always interested in learning a little more and I think the original purpose of the thread has been served.

I rubbed wood against something hard as a kid to make my wooden weapons tougher and harder. Not much was off limits with my parents. When we made something that looked particularly dangerous like my spear with aluminum point from a tent pole that buckled they just told us not to use them on each other. I don't remember my first pocketknife but had been through several by the time I was seven. I can't remember tapping wood. Probably because none of the ERBurroughs heroes did.

When I was messing with cue shafts there was some stuff called Nelsonite or Resolute to dip shaft blanks in to keep them straighter. The amount of air that boiled out of a 1x1x30 inch shaft was amazing! There is a lot of air space in wood, even hard maple. As a side note, I didn't like either chemical. Hard on your lungs and had a definite petroleum smell, not something I wanted leaching out of the wood or in it for that matter. It also seemed likely to deaden the hit of a shaft as some reported.

Hu

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank You! I am always interested in learning a little more and I think the original purpose of the thread has been served.

I rubbed wood against something hard as a kid to make my wooden weapons tougher and harder. Not much was off limits with my parents. When we made something that looked particularly dangerous like my spear with aluminum point from a tent pole that buckled they just told us not to use them on each other. I don't remember my first pocketknife but had been through several by the time I was seven. I can't remember tapping wood. Probably because none of the ERBurroughs heroes did.

When I was messing with cue shafts there was some stuff called Nelsonite or Resolute to dip shaft blanks in to keep them straighter. The amount of air that boiled out of a 1x1x30 inch shaft was amazing! There is a lot of air space in wood, even hard maple. As a side note, I didn't like either chemical. Hard on your lungs and had a definite petroleum smell, not something I wanted leaching out of the wood or in it for that matter. It also seemed likely to deaden the hit of a shaft as some reported.

Hu
You're certainly welcome my friend. The "old timers" used to do it (boning) to their wooden baseball bats. They were essentially turning those bats into cell compacted wooden sledgehammers. ;)

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
You're certainly welcome my friend. The "old timers" used to do it (boning) to their wooden baseball bats. They were essentially turning those bats into cell compacted wooden sledgehammers. ;)

I used to know a pro player, was American but pretty big in Japan. I forget his name now, we talked on a machine forum and online, never met. He had a lathe and mill in his basement. I suspect he corked a bat or two, purely for research you understand, but it would have been indiscreet to ask him.(grin)

Hu

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will send you a monster player Mr Gambler. $950. Two shafts. heavy cue. Plays lights out You will be taking a gamble. You will b every very happy especially if you want something that shoots winners with a ton of feel.
Nick . PM if you are feeling very very lucky. One stipulation. You have to show it off!

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to know a pro player, was American but pretty big in Japan. I forget his name now, we talked on a machine forum and online, never met. He had a lathe and mill in his basement. I suspect he corked a bat or two, purely for research you understand, but it would have been indiscreet to ask him.(grin)

Hu
Lol. I remember watching Billy Hatcher get busted with a corked bat, in a game. The pitcher, whose name escapes me, threw a heater and Hatcher connected. His bat split into pieces, cork flying everywhere. Never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. 😉

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What cue I should buy? I'm not going for aesthetics I'm going for the hit. I need a real player to gamble with every day.
Just a suggestion to get the most for your money....Go to the Super Billiards Expo in June. You will see and try out many different cues and styles...even talk to the experts. While the trip may be expensive, you will have knowledge to make a good selection and experience a great pool vacation.

JayRack

Just a suggestion to get the most for your money....Go to the Super Billiards Expo in June. You will see and try out many different cues and styles...even talk to the experts. While the trip may be expensive, you will have knowledge to make a good selection and experience a great pool vacation.
Thanks. Where is it?