I may have learned something today

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing one pocket today at our rec center and I was hitting them pretty good.I made 4 3 railers in about 10 games or so.I must have not impressed this older guy watching me. I think he saw all these shots I did not make and did not know I was playinfg safe. He wanted to play 8 ball for 5 a game,rack em up says I.He wanted the breaks and BIH to start every game. I have never seen him play but I say okay.This guy could not play at all,the weight I gave up just made it easier for me.I was able to bear down even for such little cash.What stuck out was that when I shot the 8 I always had position in mind so I did not sell out.tThat little bit of thinking made a world of difference.I did not miss the 8 even once.Playing for fun all the time made me very complacent evidently.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beating an inferior player is not quite the same pressure as playing a worthy competitor for a more substantial wager. Like you said, giving up the breaks and BIH to start against a player not capable of running out a rack is not much of a spot. I'd suggest for your next session to stepping up your challenge to a more formidable opponent.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell, if you want a fun 8-ball game against a relatively weak player, give him the breaks and allow him to pick his balls, then pull any 5 of his own balls off the table before the next shot...

VarmintKong

Cannonball comin’!
Beating an inferior player is not quite the same pressure as playing a worthy competitor for a more substantial wager. Like you said, giving up the breaks and BIH to start against a player not capable of running out a rack is not much of a spot. I'd suggest for your next session to stepping up your challenge to a more formidable opponent.
He’s runnin racks at the local rec. I’d imagine the pickens are mighty slim.

Seems like a lot of folks think you have to play for big money or beat some ungodly player for it to mean anything. How bout you just win the next game? You can’t always control the level of competition or pry dem greazy fingas off that crusty money, but you can do your best regardless.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP, congratulations on learning more about yourself. Even a tiny bet can be that grit which becomes a pearl.

Now, maybe your one pocket opponent will say "you're on" to a small wager and you make rate on those three trailers will go up.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's an old school way of giving weight to a weaker player.
The weaker player gets to move the cue ball a hand span before each shot.
Just check his hand size first!

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lest you guys think I am some sharp eyed youngster picking on seniors let me say I am an old guy also.65 with a cataract forming on my left eye and a bit of arthritis. I am at best maybe 60% of the player I was when I played 50 hours a week.The pickings are slim here,happy to play anyone at all.I never ask anyone to gamble but that is not why I play.We stopped playing for $ and I adjusted ....I had to bank one ball every game and the 8 was last pocket for me.It was fun for both of us and I bought my new friend lunch.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Hell, if you want a fun 8-ball game against a relatively weak player, give him the breaks and allow him to pick his balls, then pull any 5 of his own balls off the table before the next shot...
Funny..., that's generally the game I give stronger players as a gaff. Everyone knows you just take the easy shots off the table and leave the clusters or angles he can't get to. 9/10 the one getting the spot has zero chance of getting out after the break and has nothing to work with to leaving the spotter safe.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny..., that's generally the game I give stronger players as a gaff. Everyone knows you just take the easy shots off the table and leave the clusters or angles he can't get to. 9/10 the one getting the spot has zero chance of getting out after the break and has nothing to work with to leaving the spotter safe.
Does Pool hall Junkies come to mind?

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my game, you have to pull 5 of your own balls off the table. A good player will win the vast majority of the time that he gets to the table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... What stuck out was that when I shot the 8 I always had position in mind so I did not sell out.tThat little bit of thinking made a world of difference.I did not miss the 8 even once....
That is very good advice. If you have not included where you are going to leave the cue ball in planning the game shot, you have not formed a whole shot. Of course you don't want to go so far out of your way that it makes pocketing a problem. Usually it is just a matter of playing at a little different speed.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
In my game, you have to pull 5 of your own balls off the table. A good player will win the vast majority of the time that he gets to the table.
Apologies David, it didn't seem to read that way in your first post. Yes that game woud definitely make it tougher on the spotting player