I need a picture of Gary The Bushwacker Nolan

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am doing a "Legends Never Die" series of tee shirts and was asked to have one made of local legend Gary Nolan who passed away a year or so ago. Gary lived near here and was a friend of mine as well as many of the local players but I am having trouble finding a pic of Gary at the table. I have head shots of him in his younger and older years but I need a pic of him shooting pool. Can anyone help me out. Thanks in advance.

PS...For those of you that never heard of Gary, check out this old AZ link..
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...GSgnbm9OgIDXqoVg8xTvNxjEWsLBjm11T0xttX7uze-VZ

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
59304eb9a24c204503888a4443e2c059.jpg

e265855a1393d73033a5aaf3eab20230.jpg

Pictures taken from Mary Kenniston’s FaceBook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have gary's schon with bushwacker engaved in ivory

it reminds me of the time he outran the nutson me

it is a sad thing to lose when you have the nuts

later we became friends and laughed about my misfortune

he finally admitted that I didn't have the nuts that i was misinformed
about his true speed

I felt so much better

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bushwacker story

I read your story this morning. I remember back in the 90's there was a big tournament in Va. A strong field of players. Sigel, Grady, LeBron were all there. I can't remember who won it but it wasn't any of those 3. I saw Gary come in on Sunday and asked him what you doing down here so late? He said in his quiet manner he just took a ride down from Pa. I heard later that he matched up with the winner and took all of the $5,000 first place money off of him. That was the Bushwacker!!..:) He is sadly missed up this way.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Bushwacker isnt a local legend, that man is known all over the country.

Was a great guy to do business with too.

Sam at TAP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree

It is surprising how many players never heard of him and I think that is the way Gary liked it. One of the nicest guys I ever met. The first time I met him was at the Akron Open in 1990. He had a Paul Mottey cue for sale and I bought it off of him. I tried it out to see if I liked the hit and I banked a few cross side and then a long table length bank. They all went in and Gary started looking at me like who is this guy? I quit while I was ahead before I made myself look stupid. :) I played with that cue for about 8 years and then gave the cue to my son and he still has it.

Last edited:

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is surprising how many players never heard of him and I think that is the way Gary liked it. One of the nicest guys I ever met. The first time I met him was at the Akron Open in 1990. He had a Paul Mottey cue for sale and I bought it off of him. I tried it out to see if I liked the hit and I banked a few cross side and then a long table length bank. They all went in and Gary started looking at me like who is this guy? I quit while I was ahead before I made myself look stupid. :) I played with that cue for about 8 years and then gave the cue to my son and he still has it.

I've always had a soft spot for the history of pool greats. I had the chance to watch Gary play a few years back at the Hopkins Expo. I noticed his name on the board and went over to watch his match. He won it easily and you can't hide a good stroke. I enjoyed watching him play and had a program of the Mcdermott Masters which iirc he won.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gary hosted me one year for the state event he held. I told him that people in my poolroom still told tales of the week the bushwhacker came to town and gave em all a trimming.

He just smiled and said a part of him missed the good old days.

Then he told me I couldn't use my sledgehammer to break the balls, coz of the phenolic tip.

Good guy. RIP.

ricochet913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a pic of him
And me. I worked for Gary at the lucky break in Indiana, PA in the late 90’s early 2000’s.

Wacker was one of the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ricochet913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5c25c5adb4790fff16ee71a89b4dcf57.jpg

Pic was taken at slippery rock university in Pennsylvania where I managed the pool room.

He did a beat the pro event there in 2001.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
His Tasc with the ivory nameplate hits like a million bucks. Fabulous Hoppe, super charming. His taste in cues was very nice, and says a lot about the class he had in everything he did

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm late to the thread, but I have one from the 2005 Super Billiards Expo. He was so sweet, kind of soft-spoken, with a very unassuming-type personality.

Attachments

• 2005VF-GaryNolan.JPG
    2005VF-GaryNolan.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 378

fidget

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bushwhacker photo

This thread was brought to my attention. I am Gary's widow. If you would like information for a book, or perhaps photo's not seen, please PM me.

Rick, I am not sure how you got that copy of the VHS, I know Gary didn't give it to you, that is property that belongs to me. It was given to me personally by Jim McDermott. Did you get it from Zach?

Bushwhacker's cue collection will be seen this year. There are some beauties.

Be well, and run out. He loved pool in a way I could never fully understand.

Ms. Nolan

fidget

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a pic of him
And me. I worked for Gary at the lucky break in Indiana, PA in the late 90’s early 2000’s.

I also have a copy of the McDermott world 9 ball championship he won in 1982. Currently trying to convert it from VH to DVD without losing anymore of the quality.

Wacker was one of the best!

This footage is not to be shared or distributed, or altered. I am unsure how you got this. But, I can come to conclusions. Please PM me for more. There are intellectual property issues with this.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
He had 2 gorgeous Haley "twins" I sold him the Rosewood one. Hope they are part of the display.

He said he would sell it back to me at the same price I sold it to him if I wanted it back. Very nice man.

ricochet913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread was brought to my attention. I am Gary's widow. If you would like information for a book, or perhaps photo's not seen, please PM me.

Rick, I am not sure how you got that copy of the VHS, I know Gary didn't give it to you, that is property that belongs to me. It was given to me personally by Jim McDermott. Did you get it from Zach?

Bushwhacker's cue collection will be seen this year. There are some beauties.

Be well, and run out. He loved pool in a way I could never fully understand.

Ms. Nolan

Ms Nolan. Please check your PM.