I need help with a bar vs bar challenge

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in an area that is too small for a league. We have 5 bars with pool tables. One bar has 2 tables. We are still not allowed to play pool but was kicking around the idea of doing some type of bar vs bar challenge when it opens back.

We were thinking about purchasing a nice trophy and creating a 5 person team for our bar. If another teams comes to our bar and wins, they get the trophy for their bar and the bragging rights until that team is defeated.

I'm sure everyone else has a league but do any of your places around the city do anything like this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s exactly how leagues were in many areas years ago.

You get you best 5 guys, we get ours, they get theirs, and we all play each other.

No weird formats or handicaps. It needn’t be as complicated as they make it these days.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
That’s exactly how leagues were in many areas years ago.

You get you best 5 guys, we get ours, they get theirs, and we all play each other.

No weird formats or handicaps. It needn’t be as complicated as they make it these days.
Yes, I can remember this format in the early 80's when I was in college, much fun was had.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont forgo your entitlement- get someone else to buy the trophy😉

This is meant to be funny. Sad but true.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dont forgo your entitlement- get someone else to buy the trophy😉

This is meant to be funny. Sad but true.
We were hoping the bar owner would buy it.

And, I like the idea of just keeping simple.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I live in an area that is too small for a league. We have 5 bars with pool tables. One bar has 2 tables. We are still not allowed to play pool but was kicking around the idea of doing some type of bar vs bar challenge when it opens back.

We were thinking about purchasing a nice trophy and creating a 5 person team for our bar. If another teams comes to our bar and wins, they get the trophy for their bar and the bragging rights until that team is defeated.

I'm sure everyone else has a league but do any of your places around the city do anything like this?

That sounds like fun. The closest I get to that is the BIL comes here one Sunday and we play all day and the next weekend I go to his house and play all day. Instead of the winner taking a trophy home until the next match, the loser takes home the shame prize.

Here it is. Better motivation than a trophy.

pussy hat.JPG

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Similar to a chili cookoff at work, winner gets the trophy for the year :)

You could always have a small league with three man teams, 5 teams could be stretched out to a couple of months for each session.

rh1919

Registered
That sounds like fun. The closest I get to that is the BIL comes here one Sunday and we play all day and the next weekend I go to his house and play all day. Instead of the winner taking a trophy home until the next match, the loser takes home the shame prize.

View attachment 585740

Be careful which bars you challenge.😁

GettyImages-478924262-786x1024.jpg

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a traveling bar league in Palo Alto in the early 80's. I played with a team out of Antonio's Nut House on Cal Ave. We had lots of fun and made it to the finals. The winning team would get 10,000.00. Both teams showed up and the league operator left town with all the money. Stole it all and disappeared.. Everyone was pissed once we all figured it out. Looking back it was a lot of fun cruising the peninsula and playing pool!!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a traveling bar league in Palo Alto in the early 80's. I played with a team out of Antonio's Nut House on Cal Ave. We had lots of fun and made it to the finals. The winning team would get 10,000.00. Both teams showed up and the league operator left town with all the money. Stole it all and disappeared.. Everyone was pissed once we all figured it out. Looking back it was a lot of fun cruising the peninsula and playing pool!!

That's the kind of league I started playing in back in the 90's. 14 bars, 6 man teams (3 doubles), still have two of the 2nd place trophies but they're big, our 1st place trophy wouldn't fit in my Fox body convertible without putting the top down, good times.

Ironically, I was going to ask where this guy lived, if he was close enough I was going to donate one my trophies to him :)

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the way it was when I played back in the 70's and early 80's. Loved it. Our city was set up with A, B, and C level teams. If your bar team was a B or C level, and you were the winner at the end of the season, you would move up to the next level. It was a great time. 8 ball on the break wins, scratch gave ball in hand behind break line. Also most popular bars also had women's teams also. Quit playing mid 80's, and took it up again about 5 years ago. It's fun now also, different but fun. Some of it could be that I have gotten a lot older, The league that my wife and I play in is open to men or women, with a real mix of ages, and everyone seems to get along great.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the way it was when I played back in the 70's and early 80's. Loved it. Our city was set up with A, B, and C level teams. If your bar team was a B or C level, and you were the winner at the end of the season, you would move up to the next level. It was a great time. 8 ball on the break wins, scratch gave ball in hand behind break line. Also most popular bars also had women's teams also. Quit playing mid 80's, and took it up again about 5 years ago. It's fun now also, different but fun. Some of it could be that I have gotten a lot older, The league that my wife and I play in is open to men or women, with a real mix of ages, and everyone seems to get along great.

Yep, it's different now. Back then we were all friends and most of us worked together and we had a blast. Now, it's almost like work. Show up, get along with some but not others, usually don't play anyways, stay late because I'm the boss, etc...