Identifying a good Le Pro tip

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a box of Le Pro tips that I bought in the early '90s just to get to the minimum order size while ordering something else.

I heard these are great tips if you get a good one, and they were better in the past. How do you know it is a good one before putting it on?

Since taking up the game more diligently over the past couple of years, I've mostly used layered tips. Trying a Ki-tech medium changed that. I am tempted to try one of these next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to pick the thickest ones that had the smoothest backs and sides and stood up straight. Some of them sort of lean and some have backs that have small indents in them. I only used them when I ran out of the others.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Put them in a cup of water....throw out the floaters and keep the sinkers, but still may get some duds. Here is an example, This was trying to shape it....needless to say it got cut off and another installed.
20160404_184200.jpg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Throw them in the garbage can! That's how you find the good ones. Same with Triangles.

Your mileage may vary:)

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Tap them on a hard surface. The tone will tell you how hard they are. You want a nice tink sound, a thud or a slap will be a dud. Back when layered tips weren't around, you had to get good at judging them, or you end up with accordions. :grin: Not only will you never put a crappy one on a cue anymore, you can pretty accurately judge the hardness once you develop an ear for it.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tap them on a hard surface. The tone will tell you how hard they are. You want a nice tink sound, a thud or a slap will be a dud. Back when layered tips weren't around, you had to get good at judging them, or you end up with accordions. :grin: Not only will you never put a crappy one on a cue anymore, you can pretty accurately judge the hardness once you develop an ear for it.

Good info, thanks mucho.

BTW - do you expect you could make the duds into good tips by
"milk dudding" them?

Dale

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ALWAYS BUY THE 15 MM LE PRO-
"NEVER GOT A BAD ONE EITHER....
I don't know why,
Same with TRIANGLE 15 MM ALWAYS GOOD TIPS"

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Good info, thanks mucho.
BTW - do you expect you could make the duds into good tips by
"milk dudding" them?
You're welcome! I saw a repair person at a tournament tapping all the tips he installed about 20 years ago, and he was nice enough to explain why. He had a piece of tile he used for a tapping surface. I typically use the round rail on my Porper lathe.

I've never tried using the duds, but I would assume they would more readily soak up the milk, or whatever you were soaking them in! I often use treated lepro tips for jump and break cues, I bet the duds would take the treatment even better. Might have to experiment. ;)