if you get stabbed in the EYE by a CUE...

RealLive

JUICEISBACK.COM
Silver Member
...make sure you get an MRI done:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4218662/Doctors-removed-cue-tip-in-my-brain.html

part-532_1477795a.jpg

Medics initially believed the injury to Andy Parton, 31, was superficial and merely stitched his eyelid.

When his eye failed to open properly for three months, they blamed muscle damage. Then an MRI scan revealed the incredible truth.

He could have died at any point by either being poisoned or having a seizure. But in a ten-hour operation, a team of some of Britain's best surgeons "navigated" his brain.

The experts of Leeds University Teaching Hospitals, performed a cranial incision.

This involved removing part of the skull, following the entry route of the pool cue, and retrieving the tip.

They then rebuilt the top of his nose and brow.

The team are used to navigating the complex areas of the brain to remove tumours, not foreign bodies.

Last year The Sun revealed the unusual case of Chantel Faill, 31, from Broughton, Lincs, who had a cue tip stuck up her nose for 12 years.

A spokesman for Leeds Teaching Hospitals said: "This was a very unusual injury with potentially serious consequences.

"A long, complex operation was necessary, which happily was successful.

"We are just pleased that Mr Parton was not snookered by his injury and has gone on to make a full recovery."

TV and internet production worker Andy, of Knaresborough, North Yorks, thanked the team at Leeds General Infirmary — saying: "I know I'm lucky to be alive.

"I never thought pool was such a dangerous game."

FOR more on the work of the LGI team and to make a donation to their charity visit: www.btrs.org.uk.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Many years ago at the first Joss 9 Ball Turning Stone event, my match was called to table one. As in all following Turning Stone events, all players were asked to be seated at their tables for player introductions. I was seated near the entrance to the playing area. My playing cue in my right hand rested against my right leg. Suddenly the stick moved violently. Turned around and looked up. At my opponent. Big blue circle nearly between his eyes. He hadn't been paying attention and walked directly into the tip of my cue. This near miss, as the airline industry likes to call it, had me in a near panic. My opponent was Efren Reyes! Nearly took the number one player in the world out of the game of pool. $hit happens.

Lyn

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago at the first Joss 9 Ball Turning Stone event, my match was called to table one. As in all following Turning Stone events, all players were asked to be seated at their tables for player introductions. I was seated near the entrance to the playing area. My playing cue in my right hand rested against my right leg. Suddenly the stick moved violently. Turned around and looked up. At my opponent. Big blue circle nearly between his eyes. He hadn't been paying attention and walked directly into the tip of my cue. This near miss, as the airline industry likes to call it, had me in a near panic. My opponent was Efren Reyes! Nearly took the number one player in the world out of the game of pool. $hit happens.

Lyn

what a story! wow! lol

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
One way or another......

Lyn

I knew you were a giant killer. :grin:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...make sure you get an MRI done:

Actually he should have had a skull series (X-rays) followed by a CT after the skull series revealed the object, not MRI.

In the US he would have got that. I did a year of med school and a year post-graduate in the UK. They were definitely resource deficient. Great docs and great training though.

He should have had skull x-rays.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I smell a class action lawsuit here. If lawyers had their way, we may end up playing with this.

*fast forward 25 years*
A kid waits patiently to sit with a department store Santa. His turn comes up, and he ask for a 11.75 mm Z1 Predator shaft with a Kamui tip. Santa says, you'll poke your eye out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YleZvTSDC6s#t=1m10s

Attachments

• victorian_mace_cue.jpg
    victorian_mace_cue.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 353
  • -you-ll-shoot-your-eye-out-kid--lrg.jpg
    -you-ll-shoot-your-eye-out-kid--lrg.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Well, he still looks a tad stunned. I hope he didn't look like that before the brain op. He should have kept the tip and sold it on EBay.

Cerebral juice tips will be the rage of the future. If it were imbedded in his brain, the cerebral sac must have been punctured.
He is pretty lucky if that was the case.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well, he still looks a tad stunned. I hope he didn't look like that before the brain op. He should have kept the tip and sold it on EBay.

Cerebral juice tips will be the rage of the future. If it were imbedded in his brain, the cerebral sac must have been punctured.
He is pretty lucky if that was the case.

I just knew you would say something sick.....:rolleyes:
..could we market them as 'Smart Tips'?

OneIron

On the snap, Vinny!
Silver Member
I'm really surprised that aren't more eye injuries in pool rooms. Most of the pool players I see on league night are oblivious to anything going on in their immediate vicinity. How many times are you setting up on a critical shot and some nitwit decides to rack the balls right behind you? :frown:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I'm really surprised that aren't more eye injuries in pool rooms. Most of the pool players I see on league night are oblivious to anything going on in their immediate vicinity. How many times are you setting up on a critical shot and some nitwit decides to rack the balls right behind you? :frown:

I've seen a lot of stuff in pool rooms since the 60's.
Quite a few fights with breaking pool cues, guys throwing their cue like a javelin after a missed shot, cues stuck in ceilings,
a friend of mine even cueballed a guy and knocked him out, but I've never seen a guy put his eye out with a pool cue.
The worst I've done is accidentally chalk one of the sweater girls boobs when I pulled my cue back after I broke.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
funny, sorta

About 15 years ago, a bunch of friends and i were playing pool. one of the guys was standing in behind the rack holding his cue close to him while another buddy was breaking, i recall saying "you shouldn't stand there" when buddy breaks with too much topspin, the ball climbs over the pack and hits him.......SQUARE IN THE NUTS!!!! needless to say his natural instinct was to buckle over, stabbing himself in the right eye with his cue. unfortunately we all couldn't stop laughing to see whether he was really injured.....good thing he wasn't, just had some blood pooling up in the whites of his right eyeball, he wound up being ok after seeing the doc. coulda wound up being a lot worse.