Illinois Billiard Club Straight Pool League

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
The IBC's 34th Annual 14.1 Straight Pool
and Three-cushion Billiard Leagues.

Greetings to All:

All IBC members that have recently competed in our IBC's Summer 2007, 14.1 league, along with all of those competing in our IBC's upcoming 34th annual 14.1 Straight Pool and Three-Cushion Billiard Leagues are cordially invited to be the dinner guests of Bonnie and I on Tuesday, September 25, 2007.

Also, any member who would like to sponsor a friend for IBC membership and/or league contender is encouraged to invite their friend to our pre-league get aquatinted dinner banquet.

Dinner will be served promptly at 6:00 PM and a portion of the 45-95 point division of our clubs new straight pool league will begin competition immediately after dinner and the awards presentations.

As in past years, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings have also been put aside for this years 14.1 leagues. However, they will also be used for our new IBC Three-Cushion League as well.

To allow time to program our new league's pairing schedules, any member or those wishing to become a member of the IBC who would like to sign-up and join in this years competition in either league must be registered no later than Noon, Sunday, September 23, 2007.

For the good of all and as we did last year we would like to format the league into related handicap divisions. Thursday evenings would be set aside for contenders with ratings of over 100 points and Tuesday and Wednesday would be used for everyone from 95 or less. We will be competing on all six 4.5' x 9' tables which will provide for twelve contenders per evening and a comfortable maximum of thirty-six 14.1 league contenders over all.

Please advise as soon as possible. The sooner Bonnie and I know everyone's preferred evening and whose actually with us, and whose not, the sooner we can fully and more effectively service all of you who have so loyally remained our highly appreciated friends and billiard colleagues.

Always,
Jim and Bonnie
A Bit of IBC History

The Illinois Billiard Club 35 Years Ago...
1973: Our home and one table IBC located at 2422 W. 64th Street, Chicago IL

The Illinois Billiard Club and Bonnie's Dining & Banquets
"Collectively and with Integrity now servicing society for over 50 years"
Banquets, Private Parties and Off-Premise Catering.
Friday Evening Dinner, Bar and Billiards available from 6 PM
8442 - 8446 Archer Avenue - Willow Springs, IL 60480
"Call or E-mail us for your next dinner and entertainment special event"
708-839-5820 - 708-839-1331
www.PartiesatBonnies.com - E-mail: PJimandBon@aol.com

Attachments

• ibc1.jpg
    ibc1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,878

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
The IBC all started with a dream and what most people called a pile of "old junk" ... I called it "Fort Knox, in need of serious rehab." ... Nine 1945 Brunswick Anniversary tables rescued from the Beverly Bowl.

Attachments

• 1bc2.jpg
    1bc2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 2,002

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
First storefront location: 10329 South Pulaski Ave. Chicago IL

Attachments

• ibc10329.jpg
    ibc10329.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3,722

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Second IBC storefront location, 2435 W. 71st St. Chicago, IL

Attachments

• ibc2435.jpg
    ibc2435.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,292

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Thirty-five years after it all began:
The IBC's and Bonnie's Dining & Banquets current location since 1990...
8442-8446 Archer Ave. Willow Springs, IL

Like the oldest of a man's finest friends our first carom table is in my mind still "number one" ... stop in and visit us when you have the time, it might become yours too!

What my wife Bonnie and I first began in the basement of our home over 35 years ago was founded on friendship and human integrity ...and has remained so ever since. Then, during my absence servicing our electrical contracting business I gave my friends keys to our little billiard room that they might use and care for things as they would their own, and without need of clerks and baby sitters. They did, and while today so many have passed on, Bonnie and I continue to maintain the same concept. Good things, like good people, never change.
The IBC has always been a labor of love and our primary business if hosting banquets, private parties and servicing off premise catering. But one night each week, on Friday evenings, Bonnie and I serve dinner to the public. We open our doors to Bonnie's dinner guests and after dinner offer also offer Bonnie's guests the use of our little treasured club, as well as servicing our "IBC Diamond Bar."

Hope one day you can stop in and enjoy an evening with us and a few members. After all, good things should be enjoyed by good people. And to the word, isn't that what life's all about ... the association with good and honorable people?

Good health to All,
Jim and Bonnie

Attachments

• ibcarcher4.jpg
    ibcarcher4.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,667
Last edited:

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Going way back to the late 1950's

OneArmed said:
I wish I lived in Chicago :)

My best friend and I would head for Chicago on Friday nights, after school, to play Pool in an old dingy Pool Hall on State Street (can't remember the name) ... Chicago was a "hard" 5-hour drive from E.St. Louis, but we were young enough to go without sleep for 2 or more days, so we would play, eat, nap ... then play, eat , nap some more until Sunday evening ... Then another 5 hours back to E.St. Louis and "crash" for 3-4 hours before going back to school on Monday morning ... It may have been the great little Diners in Chicago that beckoned us more than the Pool Halls, but it is now just a distant memory ... I don't wish I lived in Chicago, but I do wish it wasn't so damned far away ...

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Club

Little Joe Villalpando graced us with his presence last night at the club. He brought with him his young protege, Adam Behnke.

While we played our straight pool matches and one table had some three cushion going, Joe and Adam watched and had a nice barbecued rib dinner made by Bonnie and Jim Parker until a table opened up and then they played a little one pocket.

I was concentrating on my match, so I didn't notice how well Adam shot. I did get to see him a few hours later when they went over to Red Shoes for some nine ball action. I don't know how it ended. For all I know, they may still be there. The young man has a nice stroke and some exquisite cue ball control.

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis, this is the best post ever from you...I like the info presented here.

I haven't shot in months but that grayslake tourney is making me salivate...

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Update

Latest news from the Illinois Billiard Club.

Greetings:

Through the ever amazing efforts of IBC Brother Patrick Guide, on Saturday, November 24th the DeLaSalle Fathers Club will be hosting another one of their series of "Father and Son Team Dinner and Billiard" events that will begin in the early afternoon.

Monday, November 12, 2007: Another outstanding achievement credited to IBC Brothers Stanley Kastelic and Patrick Guide was in their hosting another extension of the Chicago Catholic High School's involvement in billiards.

"Congratulations to All"

Congratulations to IBC Brother Bob Daun who scored his lifetime continuous high run of "98 Balls" in 14.1 Straight Pool. Now with the IBC's largest 14.1 league in its history, with over 30 contenders, combined with Brother Ed Latimer's 50 point runs becoming almost commonplace, it's been encouraging to watch such inspiring events unfold .

Another lifetime high run was set by IBC Brother Johnny Maricich who during a league match against the ever inspiring Denny Keehan, posted a "30 Ball" run ... Congratulations John!

"Happy Thanksgiving to All"

Good Health to All,
Jim and Bonnie

PS There are still reservation openings for Thanksgiving Dinner beginning at Noon and serving until 4:00 PM Thanksgiving Day.

"Collectively and with Integrity now servicing society for over 50 years"
Banquets, Private Parties, Off-Premise Catering and IBC Memberships.
"Call or E-mail us for your next dinner and entertainment special event"

DeLaSalle Institute and St. Rita H. S. were each represented at the IBC with two, five-man teams (divisions) who all competed in matches of eight ball. While in both divisions DeLaSalle took home first place victories, both schools equally won an afternoon filled with good fellowship and highly memorable sportsmanship.

Attachments

• ibcdelasalle2.JPG
    ibcdelasalle2.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,922

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
St. Patrick's week at the illinois billiard club

Just thought I'd share with you guys how terribly we are treated at the IBC:

email from Jim Parker:

"Greetings to All:

I'm uncertain if St. Patrick was a billiard player or not? But if he wasn't we shouldn't hold it against him ... after all, in all probability he was too busy doing God's work anyway?

Whatever the case, everyone can always use a reason to celebrate with a good meal shared in the company of friends and loved ones. Yet in this case and in all probability everyone is tired of corned beef and cabbage by now, so this week Bonnie and I would like to prepare a variety of complementary meals for all of our IBC league contenders who've shown such remarkable honor and reliability.

The self-serve meals will range from oven roasted chicken one day, fried chicken another and roast beef another. Sides will include lightly seasoned roast potatoes, baked Idaho's with sides of sour cream, steamed and buttered corn cobbettes and steamed and buttered baby Belgium carrots.

Please, just help yourselves ... the hot food that will be ready by 7 PM each day and will be placed in the steamer, just inside the cafe entrance. Garden salads and dressings will be inside the walk-in's brown glass door to the left.

Thanks for all your friendships ... and good health to all,

Jim and Bonnie"

Sweet!!

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
Just thought I'd share with you guys how terribly we are treated at the IBC:

email from Jim Parker:

"Greetings to All:

I'm uncertain if St. Patrick was a billiard player or not? But if he wasn't we shouldn't hold it against him ... after all, in all probability he was too busy doing God's work anyway?

Whatever the case, everyone can always use a reason to celebrate with a good meal shared in the company of friends and loved ones. Yet in this case and in all probability everyone is tired of corned beef and cabbage by now, so this week Bonnie and I would like to prepare a variety of complementary meals for all of our IBC league contenders who've shown such remarkable honor and reliability.

The self-serve meals will range from oven roasted chicken one day, fried chicken another and roast beef another. Sides will include lightly seasoned roast potatoes, baked Idaho's with sides of sour cream, steamed and buttered corn cobbettes and steamed and buttered baby Belgium carrots.

Please, just help yourselves ... the hot food that will be ready by 7 PM each day and will be placed in the steamer, just inside the cafe entrance. Garden salads and dressings will be inside the walk-in's brown glass door to the left.

Thanks for all your friendships ... and good health to all,

Jim and Bonnie"

Sweet!!

DMG,
Damnit, quit doing this. Everytime I resign myself to just enduring another league night at the smoky, filthy, poorly maintained dive that we call our pool hall; YOU have to post another description of that fictional place in Chicago.

Nobody believes you. That place CAN NOT EXIST; do you think we just fell off the turnip wagon???

P.S. - elvicash claims to have visited it; but I suspect you either paid him off to support your ludicrous claims; or just slipped some psychedelic substance into his drink.....poor guy, he's imaging all sorts of things.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Ibc

Williebetmore said:
DMG,
Damnit, quit doing this. Everytime I resign myself to just enduring another league night at the smoky, filthy, poorly maintained dive that we call our pool hall; YOU have to post another description of that fictional place in Chicago.

Nobody believes you. That place CAN NOT EXIST; do you think we just fell off the turnip wagon???

P.S. - elvicash claims to have visited it; but I suspect you either paid him off to support your ludicrous claims; or just slipped some psychedelic substance into his drink.....poor guy, he's imaging all sorts of things.

Willie: It's not that special. As a matter of fact, I won't even know until I arrive whether I'll be dining on Chicken or Beef before I begin my two matches to 125. I'll be playing the chef and proprietor, Jim Parker who is going to 100.
Maybe towards the end of the second match, I'll open a bottle of Sam Adams and then me and a few guys will probably sit around over a couple of beers talking 14.1, or watching whatever match is going on.

It's a tough life.

Dennis

p.s. Elvicash told me he will be sending his completed membership application. I'll have to arrange to get him his own personal key to the club.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
dmgwalsh said:
Willie: As a matter of fact, I won't even know until I arrive whether I'll be dining on Chicken or Beef
Dennis

DMG,
It's a freaking miracle that you can survive such harsh conditions.....how can they expect you to perform in such a brutal atmosphere?

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did Someone Burn the Almonds again?...

dmgwalsh said:
Willie: It's not that special. As a matter of fact, I won't even know until I arrive whether I'll be dining on Chicken or Beef before I begin my two matches to 125. I'll be playing the chef and proprietor, Jim Parker who is going to 100.
Maybe towards the end of the second match, I'll open a bottle of Sam Adams and then me and a few guys will probably sit around over a couple of beers talking 14.1, or watching whatever match is going on.

It's a tough life.

Dennis

p.s. Elvicash told me he will be sending his completed membership application. I'll have to arrange to get him his own personal key to the club.

Take my advice. Let the chef win.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
News from the IBC

Str8PoolMan said:
Take my advice. Let the chef win.

I was lucky the chef allowed me to split our two matches.;)

Here's some more news from the club:

Easter Greetings to All:

"Lightning Strikes Twice at the IBC"

Rick Michalec Sr. runs another 70 balls in the IBC's 34th Annual 14.1 Straight Pool League!

rick.jpg

IBC Brother, "Handsome" Rick Michalec Sr. does it again! Two weeks ago Rick stunned his opponent when during the battle of competition running a textbook perfect 70 balls. Again last night, on March 20th 2008 and with four other grueling league matches in progress Michalec once again worked his magic and ran another ... guess what ... 70 balls! WOW!

"Congratulations Rick"

Next week and on all four league nights beginning with Tuesday, March 25th Bonnie and I would like all of our league contenders to enjoy a complimentary "Soup and Salad" snack during the evening of their league matches.

Last week it appeared that a great deal of you missed the garden salads and dressings that were placed in the cafes walk-in cooler, directly inside of the brown door to the left. Little gestures like these are not to be considered anymore than snacks and appetizers, and, by no means, full meals. So many of you travel right from work and haven't a chance to have dinner, while others might appreciate something to snack on during the evenings four and five hours of competition.

Monday, March 31, 2008 both Bonnie's and the IBC will not be available for league make-up matches due to our contracting the filming of a music video. The models, film crew, musicians, etc., will have full use of both facilities much like the time we worked with film director Martin Scorsese and his Color of Money. However, unlike like the Scorsese event this event will only require one day much like the time we were asked by the Dennis Scott Photo Studio representing Leo Burnett USA Advertising Corp.to help with their Virginia Slims, "You Came a Long Way Baby" advertising photo's.

"Happy Easter to All"

IBC Brother Burton Spain would have truly enjoyed seeing his world's smallest two-piece billiard cue being used by so many happy "Billiard Bunnies" and, being seen by so many friends like all of you!

burton bunny.jpg

Billiards, and Good Health to All,
Jim and Bonnie

IBC.jpg

"Collectively and with Integrity now servicing society for over 52 years"
Banquets, Private Parties, Off-Premise Catering and IBC Memberships.
"Call or E-mail us for your next dinner and billiards special event"

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meanwhile, here in the frozen NorthLand, our haven for straight pool players, Boomers, in Sturtevant is going out of business. Some time in June the ax falls. No more Straight Pool round robin.

Dave Nelson

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Dave Nelson said:
Meanwhile, here in the frozen NorthLand, our haven for straight pool players, Boomers, in Sturtevant is going out of business. Some time in June the ax falls. No more Straight Pool round robin.

Dave Nelson

Sorry to hear that, Dave. I liked Boomers the times I was there.

Any possibility of moving your league to another venue?

One summer we did that with some IBC players and we went to ProTyme in Orland Park, which was much more convenient for me.

Dennis

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis

Our next best bet would be Break and Run, which would be nice for me because it's within walking distance from my home, or a two minute drive. Unfortunately, the management there is not friendly to the endeavor.

Dave