Imagine Todays Big Breakers-5"-5 1/2"

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Imagine todays top breakers on the old 5" to 5 1/2" pockets. I believe breaking 9 ball, they would be playing 6 ball a lot after the break. I'm 75 YO and have seen most all of the great ones play in person. Although I don't like to admit it, but todays top players are better than in my prime in most every part of the game. Johnnyt
 
Imagine todays top breakers on the old 5" to 5 1/2" pockets. I believe breaking 9 ball, they would be playing 6 ball a lot after the break. I'm 75 YO and have seen most all of the great ones play in person. Although I don't like to admit it, but todays top players are better than in my prime in most every part of the game. Johnnyt

Where did you ever see a table with 5 - 5 1/2 inch pockets?

Gold Crowns from the 60s were MAYBE 4 3/4+

Prior models were a bit "tighter" than that,

Dale
 
All this talk about pocket size is..,

Gandy's had big pockets and so did many tables in Pool rooms were the owners didn't really worry about the set up, but I've never seen anything close to 5''??

Ask Buddy Hall about the proper size for position play and that should settle that!
 
Hard to compare. You have to factor in , the much slower wool cloth, making the rails dead compared to todays rails, 'dead' balls compared to todays balls, and cues with a lot of deflection.
I believe the best players of the 60's and 70's were as good as the best players of today.
 
What size pockets were the U.S open during the time period Earl and Archer won it?
 
Where did you ever see a table with 5 - 5 1/2 inch pockets?

Gold Crowns from the 60s were MAYBE 4 3/4+

Prior models were a bit "tighter" than that,

Dale

My Gold Crown from 1973 have the pockets that were made to BCA specs. 5 and 5 1/2

What you also have to consider is the difficulty factor. There is a sticky at the top of this forum. Many players will look at my table and comment about the big pockets and being a easy table but are amazed that it isn't that easy and balls rattle because of the ledge and angle of entry.

🎱
 
Last edited:
breakers

Wade Crane on these fast things? Little David Howard , Danny Medina just saying.:cool:
 
I had 5 out of the 9' 1940 era Brunswick's in my room on Long Island, NY with corner pockets over 5". It was common to see 5"+ 9' and 10' tables in poolrooms, homes, firehouses and the many private clubs like the Moose Club. American Legs and Vets of War. Also after the Hustler movie a lot of new rooms and some older rooms went with some tables with pockets over 5". I don't care what they were suppose to leave the factories as. Back then you could order the tables with pocket sizes you wanted...with in reason, Johnnyt
 
Back
Top