Immonen wins Challenge of the Champions

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
I just heard that Mika snapped off the challenge of the champions last night!

He beat Appleton at the end to win it.

Wow, is this guy on some kind of roll or what?

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Another $ 50 000 in the bag... Not bad to win $ 90 000 in one week!

Real BAD by the promotors to have only 4 players in the field, and none Americans, when it is played in America. I don't get it...

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I just heard that Mika snapped off the challenge of the champions last night!

He beat Appleton at the end to win it.

Wow, is this guy on some kind of roll or what?

That settles it then. Mika has clinched 2nd place for Player of the Year honors behind me.

Destrukkt

9 ball/8 ball New Player
Silver Member
more like challenge of the selected few

or "Challenge of the Players whom bribed the promoters to get them in"

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
Yehey!! Another European won!!! huhummm (Yawn) yeah right. More like Challenge the Current US Champion.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Its winner take all, and you have to win a world championship to get invited I thought. US has not won any world championships this year.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They must be able to find 32 guys for this to make it a real event.

The International Challenge of Champions, a winner-take-all tournament, is really more of an exhibition recorded for later showing on ESPN -- albeit an exhibition with a large prize for one person.

It used to be eight players, with four single-elimination matches on the first day and the semi-finals and finals on the second day. This year they cut the number of players and the prize money in half -- four players and $25,000 -- and did it in just three matches on one day.

The promoter -- Billiards International, Ltd (Matt Braun) -- determines who is invited to play. It's normally one player from each of the eight (now four) countries represented.

Billiards International, Ltd. also presents the International Tournament of Champions (four women) each year, and, in the past, has presented the Skins Billiards Championship and the Texas Hold'Em Billiards Championship (the latter two with Allen Hopkins).