Importance of lighting

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just installed a proper overhead table light above my table. After about a year playing with lights around the room and table i Have noticed a big difference. It makes me wonder how important good table lighting really is. I know that all table environments are different especially when it comet to bars. I am just looking for the opinion of others out there. Do you think you should be able to play at the same level no matter how good or bad the table lighting is as long as you can see the balls?

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, yes, no, and sorta. I've found it better to not get used to too good of lighting, if you sometimes play on poorly lit tables. So what I really mean is, don't depend on the lighting to see the edges of the balls, especially if one side of the table is lit better/worse than the other side, that's the worst.

Any light is fine for me, it's just when the light is different from one side of the table to the other is what makes me have to really double take my shot line.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, yes, no, and sorta. I've found it better to not get used to too good of lighting, if you sometimes play on poorly lit tables. So what I really mean is, don't depend on the lighting to see the edges of the balls, especially if one side of the table is lit better/worse than the other side, that's the worst.

Any light is fine for me, it's just when the light is different from one side of the table to the other is what makes me have to really double take my shot line.

I agree, table lighting varies from place to place, this is why i am not to worried about the lighting on my personal table, can i get it perfect at home ? yes. but it wont matter much when i'm playing somewhere else and the lighting is not as good.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Light

When light is reflected , refracted as in passing through water or glass or scattered the light becomes polarized , just like the light on a cloudy day .

When electromagnetic polarized waves strikes all non metallic smooth surface it creates electromagnetic polarized reflection . AKA glare or white out .

Just like being on a lake on a cloudy day the reflection off the water is nothing less then blinding at the right angle of reflection .

The brightness of the reflection is also equal the source of light .

Not all lighting is equal ......
A standard continuous florescent lighting flickers terribly .
Its flickers bad enough that it created major issue in still photography .
Your eyes are continually adjusting the light flickering but the person doesn't really notice it .

All lighting emits a color spectrum
Florescent ocean or light blue
Tungsten yellow or red
I haven't worked Allot with LED so I don't remember the color sorry .

Also some lighting like tungsten emits allot of heat and can be a safety or fire hazard .

When light is reflected off non metallic smooth surface it has a line of reflection.
You can see the place where the light is reflecting off the ball toward your eyes .
Called angle of reflection .

Each light source has its own line of reflection on the ball .
In other words if you have 100 lights you will have 100 lines of reflection reflecting off that one ball .
The wrong lighting can actually be blinding ..
More isn't always better ,.