Impregnated Leather Tips

the9ballroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recently I was chatting with my cue repair guy and he showed me that Elkmaster now has a tip out with blue chalk impregnated into the leather. What do you guys think of this? Has anybody shot with one? Does it need regular chalking still? Does it cut down on miscues? I mean these may not be new, but they are new to me.

Just curious,
Roller

StrokeofLuck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes these have been around forever. They still need to be chalked and are kind of soft so they require a little TLC. I think I saw that Earl uses one for what that's worth.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
I don't know about all this chalk impregnation business. Unless they tan the hides themselves, which they do not, how can this be?

Just a B.S. marketing ploy IMO.

They probably tumble the finished tips in chalk and call that impregnation :rolleyes:

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
ugotactionTX said:
impregnated? It wasn't me.... I swear I've never seen them berfore

I'm confident that I'll pass the paternity test :p

Eric >didn't even kiss

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elkmasters , as far as I know , only come with the blue chalk all the way through them.
They still need chalk. These tips are popular with snooker players.
They are a soft tip, so if you hit hard , it will have a flat spot on it.
As far as miscuing goes, I don't know.You get far enough off center and you miscue automatic anyhow.
I have used Elkmaster before . I seem to be able to get more spin from a soft shot.
I have not had much luck in trimming much off the diameter of the tip.
Every time I tried to trim a 13 mm tip to 11.5, the tip would just start expanding.
Neil

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
The chalk is not all the way the through the tip. The blue color comes from the chrome tanning process.

Wikipedia:
Chrome-tanned leather, invented in 1858, is tanned using chromium sulfate and other salts of chromium. It is more supple and pliable than vegetable-tanned leather, and does not discolor or lose shape as drastically in water as vegetable-tanned. It is also known as wet-blue for its color derived from the chromium. More esoteric colors are possible using chrome tanning.

JXMIKE

Aspiring Pro player
Silver Member
ratcues said:
The chalk is not all the way the through the tip. The blue color comes from the chrome tanning process.

Wikipedia:
Chrome-tanned leather, invented in 1858, is tanned using chromium sulfate and other salts of chromium. It is more supple and pliable than vegetable-tanned leather, and does not discolor or lose shape as drastically in water as vegetable-tanned. It is also known as wet-blue for its color derived from the chromium. More esoteric colors are possible using chrome tanning.

Thats how triangle tips are made also right?

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
StrokeofLuck said:
Yes these have been around forever. They still need to be chalked and are kind of soft so they require a little TLC. I think I saw that Earl uses one for what that's worth.

Exactly right!

Only tip he'll use now. He prefers the old ones....he says the new ones aren't the same.

While he was here playing in the Desert Shootout tourny, a local repair guy said he had a box of old ones at his house. Earl HAS to have these tips!! We drive clear over to the other (30 miles one way) side of town to meet the guy. He shows up at a predetermined location. Earl opens them up, inspects them, and says "Nah, these are the old ones" and we leave.

60 miles roundtrip, for nothing. And it was late. AND, we had to drive back to Tucson after.

Yep, Earl likes them. (have to be pressed though!)