In Memory

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
15 years ago today, arguably the greatest road agent of all time passed away. Vernon Elliot, known as “the faceless man” to many and as Burnie to his dear friends was one of a kind and a little more than crazy. He never once played in a tournament in his life, often saying he’d “rather cop a store than play in a tournament” but supported a family well as a gambler.

While not well known by many, he took down some of the greatest known players in the game from Ronnie Allen, to the Earthquake, to Efren Reyes. Hall of Famer Nick Varner wouldn’t even play him. Burnie shunned “cheap action” as well, preferring high stakes games only and had many scores as high as 6 figures. He used to say “I won’t let them play cheap, I make em bet high” and won over $900K in Detroit alone playing One Pocket on a Snooker table. He didn’t look like much and loved to show up in pool halls dressed in bib overalls and a John Deere hat, but once in action showed a ferocity of play and focus I’ve never seen in another player. He was inducted into the One Pocket Hall of Fame in 2006. He was my mentor and my friend and I post this thread today in his honor that he may always be remembered and may he RIP.
IMG_0915.jpeg

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
The Beard had good stories about Vernon Elliot, thanks for the motivation to look at some again ... found this :

Dave

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I knew him as ‘The White Hope’….most of the top bankers in my day were black. But Vern would give them all action.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried 5 times last evening ... missed the ball 3 times and missed the bank (long :)) twice.

Dave
I'm thinking most people take about 100 tries. I have only seen video of Bob Jewett and Joe Tucker making it.
I tried 5 times last evening ... missed the ball 3 times and missed the bank (long :)) twice.

Dave
I think if you start missing it short , you are on to something!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of meeting Vernon at a WPBA event in 2001. I already knew who he was but had never met him. It was the only time I ever met him.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Colonel, and good for you for publicly commemorating the anniversary of his passing. Those of us who truly love this game fondly remember the many fine people we have crossed paths with over the years. Sometimes, these people pass on, but the memories are for keeps.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Make the add to AZB Kings. There should be a good write up after everyone posts in the thread.

Pool community and any community is worth sharing.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I've heard before that Varner declined to play him. I didn't think there was anyone Nick wouldn't play. Does anyone know the full story?

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
15 years ago today, arguably the greatest road agent of all time passed away. Vernon Elliot, known as “the faceless man” to many and as Burnie to his dear friends was one of a kind and a little more than crazy. He never once played in a tournament in his life, often saying he’d “rather cop a store than play in a tournament” but supported a family well as a gambler.

While not well known by many, he took down some of the greatest known players in the game from Ronnie Allen, to the Earthquake, to Efren Reyes. Hall of Famer Nick Varner wouldn’t even play him. Burnie shunned “cheap action” as well, preferring high stakes games only and had many scores as high as 6 figures. He used to say “I won’t let them play cheap, I make em bet high” and won over $900K in Detroit alone playing One Pocket on a Snooker table. He didn’t look like much and loved to show up in pool halls dressed in bib overalls and a John Deere hat, but once in action showed a ferocity of play and focus I’ve never seen in another player. He was inducted into the One Pocket Hall of Fame in 2006. He was my mentor and my friend and I post this thread today in his honor that he may always be remembered and may he RIP.
I played him some 9 ball up in Sanford NC & I saw the light very quick after as few games & pulled up.. We ended up hangin out in Greensboro & got crazy wasted. Really cool guy & was a real treat as years earlier Gary Hammond aka Groundhog told me how great a player he was. He was traveling with a younger Mexican fella who I never saw play.

daniel

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played him some 9 ball up in Sanford NC & I saw the light very quick after as few games & pulled up.. We ended up hangin out in Greensboro & got crazy wasted. Really cool guy & was a real treat as years earlier Gary Hammond aka Groundhog told me how great a player he was. He was traveling with a younger Mexican fella who I never saw play.
Around early 80s.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

While not well known by many, he took down some of the greatest known players in the game from Ronnie Allen, to the Earthquake, to Efren Reyes. Hall of Famer Nick Varner wouldn’t even play him. Burnie shunned “cheap action” as well, preferring high stakes games only and had many scores as high as 6 figures. He used to say “I won’t let them play cheap, I make em bet high” and won over $900K in Detroit alone playing One Pocket on a Snooker table. He didn’t look like much and loved to show up in pool halls dressed in bib overalls and a John Deere hat, but once in action showed a ferocity of play and focus I’ve never seen in another player. He was inducted into the One Pocket Hall of Fame in 2006. He was my mentor and my friend and I post this thread today in his honor that he may always be remembered and may he RIP. View attachment 757435
I remember hearing about a road player described as wearing overalls but he went by another nickname. It wasn’t the ‘faceless man’.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had the pleasure of meeting Vernon at a WPBA event in 2001. I already knew who he was but had never met him. It was the only time I ever met him.

Sorry for the loss of your friend, Colonel, and good for you for publicly commemorating the anniversary of his passing. Those of us who truly love this game fondly remember the many fine people we have crossed paths with over the years. Sometimes, these people pass on, but the memories are for keeps.
Well said Sir.