Installed cue tips falling off

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Tip A
I used my photo inspection software on it. Seems to have a glue anomaly inside the smaller RED pie. If you still have these unglued, inspect with a light source at a very steep angle. If you see any shiny area(s), you found your problem.

Tip 'B'
I've done this around 5 years ago. It's fine for breaking, it'll POP the cue ball nicely but does not jump easily. You'll fine that clear tip is a bit soft for jump shots. That's not to say you can't, it's rather difficult. I had very good luck using Loctite Ultra Gel.
View attachment 633077
They are very well reviewed for jumping . They control the cue ball much better than phenolic or G-10.
They don't ding cue balls either.
I remember the early generations of jumpers with hard water buffalo tips .
Now you have phenolics and leather soaked in epoxy .
And the clear poly ones , of course .

I have to add, I use 1/4 flat bottom 3-flute carbide end mill on a router to face off ferrules .
Nothing squares and cuts cleaner than that imo .
I'll bounce this one the next week or so.

Attachments

• IMG_20220315_201500316_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220315_201500316_HDR.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I concrete bounce test mine in 15-30 mins. after gluing, temperature depending, never one popped off.
Tho it has time to cure for at least 1 hour before leagues started.

FWIW: I tried 1 layer of leather from a discarded layer tip on the clear tip... EH! nothing special, more work than necessary.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I concrete bounce test mine in 15-30 mins., temperature depending, never one popped off. Tho it was at least 1 hour before leagues started.
FWIW: I tried 1 layer of leather from a discarded layer tip on the clear tip... EH! nothing special.

Shoot really really hard draw shots where the cb flies off the table. Sometimes, hitting at 3 or 9 o'clock can exert the same pressures.

That'll knock off any tip that isn't perfect.

Jeff Livingston

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Tip A
I used my photo inspection software on it. Seems to have a glue anomaly inside the smaller RED pie. If you still have these unglued, inspect with a light source at a very steep angle. If you see any shiny area(s), you found your problem.

Tip 'B'
I've done this around 5 years ago. It's fine for breaking, it'll POP the cue ball nicely but does not jump easily. You'll fine that clear tip is a bit soft for jump shots. That's not to say you can't, it's rather difficult. I had very good luck using Loctite Ultra Gel.
View attachment 633077

Tip A: I have already replaced this tip. I used Loctite Ultra Gel originally. I decided to face the cap of the ferrule off down to the top of the tenon and also trying Gorilla CA Gel. It is on a house cue and has held up for about week now.
I do still have the tip so I tried to get some better pics.

E1B40462-4163-41E9-B979-DCE7340880F0.jpeg

FFAF0CE6-4184-4A3C-B9F6-60EF493A8719.jpeg

B029E02F-1B04-4507-BA17-3BF29CCBB6B4.jpeg

Tip B isn't mine and I'm not sure what glue was used.
I did this one (Bulletproof with Loctite) and the owner likes it a lot and says it jumps much better than the original phenolic tip.

E7D44CE7-763E-4E1A-8781-91E86AD09DBF.jpeg

Tip "C" I am adding is a White Diamond I am trying out on my break cue. I used Loctite and it is holding great so far (knock on wood).

61D58FCC-09AF-453A-9706-1355DDBFD7BD.jpeg

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
[(W.C. Fields] AHHhhh yeees, a little better pix'tor-r-r.
(3 pix of tip) 3rd pic at 1:15 (top top right) might have been smacked on the ball - rail - floor - edge of x. If so, can't blame the glue.
Overall, looks like a fine glue-up. Interesting transfer of machining circles onto the tip.
Hope it all works out.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
[(W.C. Fields] AHHhhh yeees, a little better pix'tor-r-r.
(3 pix of tip) 3rd pic at 1:15 (top top right) might have been smacked on the ball - rail - floor - edge of x. If so, can't blame the glue.
Overall, looks like a fine glue-up. Interesting transfer of machining circles onto the tip.
Hope it all works out.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Being a house cue we know it isn't handled with care.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I saw a golfer at the Master lose the head on one of his approach irons. It flew into the woods and his shot turned out better than you'd think.

Perhaps the bad glue theory is the best one?

Jeff Livingston

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I'm talking about posted videos, not mine. I have little interest due to inadequate quality, which is most phones. True color on phones are different.
My new phone video records in 1080p x 30fps yet it's still not crystal clear even tho it's well over doz. meg's.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Shoot really really hard draw shots where the cb flies off the table. Sometimes, hitting at 3 or 9 o'clock can exert the same pressures.

That'll knock off any tip that isn't perfect.

Jeff Livingston
I have zero interest testing hard breaks for balls to go off the table.
I'll 9 o'clock break-hit the cue ball and rotate the cue at least 8 times.
So yes, I do test.
I setup a 2nd break cue for myself & tested. It's a 26 oz cue and glued a self-made bulletproof tip, did the above mentioned test. My other break cue has the G10 tip. Between the two, the G10 pop's noticably more and is louder. BTW, my 9 o'clock tests, the bulletproof tip is more consistent with English.
My test?
I use Blue Diamond chalk. Cue ball far right on table & hit the far cushion straight on using max English to the point it doesn't miscue. Approximate, G10 miscues are just inside the 'Quarter' diameter, Bulletproof tip, is good to the Quarters line. Both tips are tennis ball rounded, which looks almost flat to most folks.
I hope this clears whatever, up.