Installed cue tips falling off

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had friends and family die “WITH” Covid. All were over 65 and had co-morbid conditions. Flu or pneumonia would have killed them. Everyone needs to keep in mind this - not everyone with Covid died because of Covid. Because of the steps taken to protect staff, hospitals were reimbursed more money for a Covid diagnosis. Did all hospitals do this? I doubt it, but it was a great way to increase revenue.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I'd like to see you call it a scam on stage in front of the 6 million world wide that lost friends and family to the virus.

Only people that may not have been directly effected by it are the ones ignorant enough to say such a statement.

OK, set it up for me. Get me a ticket and a plane ride.

Your second sentence is not true, for me and many others. I was sicker than a dog and know many who died.

Funny you'd say such a thing. with all the evidence coming forward now.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I think you should put glue on both the tip and the ferrule not just the ferrule.
Give it a few seconds to penetrate into the leather before joining it to the ferrule.

Yet the glue instructions say don't do that.

I dunno. I've done it both ways.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Do most of you guys' tips pop off during a draw shot?

That's been my experience. That means the tips mostly shears off, I'd guess, but looking at the leftover leather shows part of the tip was more likely ripped off, not sheared.

Could another glue prevent the shearing better than CA does?

Jeff Livingston

PracticeChampion

The only tips Ive had come off (locktite glue)was due to my lathe being out of square and cutting at a slight angle. Fixed that and so far no more 🤞

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Expressway shoulders have rubber chunks from truck tires, pick one up and whittle it to shape.
They definitely don't need an embedded steel washer.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Have not seen a response from JC yet, so I was wondering if anyone else has tried the Gorilla Polyurethane Glue (GPG) on tips. Locktite has been a strong recommendation by many and I have only one pop off so far, but I want to see if anyone supports JC's claim about GPG.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Have not seen a response from JC yet, so I was wondering if anyone else has tried the Gorilla Polyurethane Glue (GPG) on tips. Locktite has been a strong recommendation by many and I have only one pop off so far, but I want to see if anyone supports JC's claim about GPG.
GG works . But, they take overnight .

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Do a mock up and test it yourself .
The one I did, the leather tore before it would come off when I robogripped it .

Thanks,
I was planning just that, I have some dowels, cheap ferrules plus I just got some Tomahawk rods to try so I'll use a sample of that too.

PracticeChampion

PC
Let us know what ya figure it was.
hank
Other than there was a slight ding on the edge, maybe hard miss cue? I seen nothing of real concern as to why it came off.
Not the best picture but here it is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220311-081250.png
    Screenshot_20220311-081250.png
    564.9 KB · Views: 81

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Other than there was a slight ding on the edge, maybe hard miss cue? I seen nothing of real concern as to why it came off.
Not the best picture but here it is

Here is mine. It is square. No light shows through with razor blade against so it is flat.

This was the first capped ferrule I did so maybe the hole made a slight nipple or dent that made it fail???

680F77FC-C890-4FFE-AEF6-7CC65A01E239.jpeg

PracticeChampion

Here is mine. It is square. No light shows through with razor blade against so it is flat.

This was the first capped ferrule I did so maybe the hole made a slight nipple or dent that made it fail???

View attachment 632440
Shouldn't matter I wouldn't think but I do fill those with glue and let dry before facing just to make sure its flat.
I always use the razor blade method to before putting a tip on so I know it's flat

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hey!

So, I'm installing cue tips without a lathe since more than a year now and I had never a problem like this before.
Three Kamui Black Medium tips wont hold onto the ferrule of the Predator Z2 and the old original Z shaft. One got loose after about half a year, and after I installed on both shafts new Kamui's, after about 15 minutes of playing they fell off like they were never glued together.
Here a few pics:

My procedure is very simple but as I said, never had problems before...
I cut off the old cue tip, use a Tweeten Rapid Cue Tip Tool to sand the top of the ferrule and the underside of the new cue tip, put some glue of Loctite 454 on the ferrule, put the cue tip on it and press it down with this:

Now I put it down for about half an hour and then cut it.

As I said, with this procedure I installed about 50 cue tips and never (with a few mistakes at the beginning) had problems. The only thing which I think could be a problem was, that the tip, as I was pressing it down onto the ferrule with the tool in the photo above, was sliding onto the side, so it wasnt in the middle anymore. Dont get me wrong here, the tip was overlaying the ferrule, but on one side it was pretty close. Could this be the problem that the glue couldnt hold on? And is there a better way or tool to press the cue tip pretty much centered onto the ferrule?

Please help me because Im getting pretty frustrated about this because I dont know whats the problem...
Hi,

After facing and flat sanding your tip on your sanding board, use 100grit paper and cross hatch the end of the ferrule by hand with the lathe off at 0 and 90 degrees. If you are putting the tip on by hand, it may weaken your bond if you are moving it around a little to get it concentric. Call Brian at Unique Products and buy a tipalator to mount it in your tailstock chuck. A thin film of CA on the tip and the ferrule with a toothpic then just press the tail stock on the the ferrule while turning your chuck a little by hand. Then a few lbs. Of pressure with the quill.

If you use Bob Smith thick CA and the above procedure it will never fail and save you a ton of $$$. You have a lot of working time with the thick. I have done over 5000 tip replacement like that and you can count on it.

Plus stop buying that locktite gel in those little containers. Too expensive!!!! I am not saying it is not good glue. Bob Smith CA is 20 bucks for 8 ounces on Amazon. One bottle lasts forever.