IPT Players Cues Survey

Captain Dan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As some would have read, there is a best hitting cues survey going on in the main forum, and it got me thinking about what cues the participants in the ITP are going to be using.

This would give a good impression of what a large percentage of professionals think are the best hitting cues. For average players like myself, it would give an idea of what cues to consider if you are upgrading, or just looking for a good competition cue.

Some are going to be easy to find, as they are members of AZforum, but in other cases it would be up to our members to either ask personel contacts, or do a little research:D !

I am going to tabulate all of this, and post a complete list at the end. If a player uses a special break cue, this should also be noted.

I'll start with the first I saw when I started in AZ, so;

Colin Colenso- Cue: Jian Ying

So, hope this thread finds some interest,

Daniel Sutton:)

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Me - Viking P6 with leather wrap. Ebony and ivory. Custom-made with small butt, skinny shaft, engraved with my name and a Limbsaver on the end.

Mike Zimmerman - 18 oz. Roger Pettit and a Dave Jones.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith McCready's weapons of choice:

Butt: Willeecue, 20.5 ounce, a lot of forward balance, skinny butt, Irish linen wrap, engraved with his name on it, and the cue is black, white, and green (IPT colors)

Shaft: Webb Custom Cues shaft, 4.25 ounce, 12 3/4, 16-1/2 inch professional taper, with a hard Moori tip

Break cue: Custom-made Parrot Break Cue by Todd Elkins of Richmond, VA, 24 ounces, very fat shaft (14, I think), and leather tip (legal on the IPT tour) :p

JAM

Attachments

• willie cue.JPG
    willie cue.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 5,555

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was that a special occasion or does Keith just like to dress up like a gladiator?

Captain Oveur: "Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
breakup said:
Was that a special occasion or does Keith just like to dress up like a gladiator?

Captain Oveur: "Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

LOL. He dressed up as a gladiator, at my request, for a project we were both working, attempting to project a "conquering Caesar" look.

It was 110 degrees outside on a brutally hot and humid summer day. After about 35 snapshots, he couldn't seem to brandish a smile anymore and wanted the "photo shoot" to end promptly, as depicted below. :D

JAM

Attachments

• end of the day.JPG
    end of the day.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 5,534

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
JAM said:
LOL. He dressed up as a gladiator, at my request, for a project we were both working, attempting to project a "conquering Caesar" look.

It was 110 degrees outside on a brutally hot and humid summer day. After about 35 snapshots, he couldn't seem to brandish a smile anymore and wanted the "photo shoot" to end promptly, as depicted below. :D

JAM

That is just too cute for words and nice little knees. :D :p

lunchmoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
Me - Viking P6 with leather wrap. Ebony and ivory. Custom-made with small butt, skinny shaft, engraved with my name and a Limbsaver on the end.

Mike Zimmerman - 18 oz. Roger Pettit and a Dave Jones.

Linda,

Dave is now set up to engrave names on the cues he builds if Mike is interested.

Lunchmoney

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
JAM said:

JAM

If I were Keith I might have to come up with some revenge for you posting those pictures. :)

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
I emailed those on the original IPT congratulatory email. Of course, some of the addresses will have changed and I don't have the 10 new qualifiers, but of the ones whose addresses are correct and want to take the time to answer, I will reply back with their answers.

Here is the first one:

My husband and I both use a Meucci cue stick. My weight is 18oz., shaft is 12 7/8, and my length is 57". Sammy's cue is 18 1/2, shaft is 12 3/4, and length is 58".
Thanks, LoreeJon and Sammy Jones

chrstc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several Bear users on the IPT roster and they are:
Francisco Bustamante
Raj Hundal
Daryl Peach
Andreja Klasovic
and possibly Evgeny Stalev (he certainly used one before but he may have switched manufacturers now) and Tom Storm (also used them in the past but not sure if he still does).
Imran Majid and Vilmos Foldes are 2 of the the players who didn't make the IPT this time but got very close and who also use my favourite cue brand:D Most of these players use Predator shafts.
Here in the UK Bear cues have always been used by a lot of our top pros. Please let me know if there are any other endorsees I've missed out!

Hope this helps
Chris (Chrstc).

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
hello

I use a custom cues ( Therry Chevron cues) now i make a new one if you like you can see the model of mine cue in www.tccues.com

and thanks see you in july

amine ouahbi

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I use a jian ying cue, link is in my sig below.

They sell their own brand in China but mainly for OEM for foreign brands.

It's a nice cue...so close up pics yet. The IPT took some but have never put them up. So much for standing in that queue for an hour:(

It's a standard conical taper. Metal joint screw directly into wooden shaft. Immitation ivory inlays. Plays solid with stiff shaft which is my main concern.

I also handle international inquiries for Jian Ying cues for OEM of other brands and also smaller bulk purchases of quality club cues with customized branding. Clubs or bars can get 100 cues made with own design features, such as those shown below for about US$25 per cue.

Attachments

• Duncans Cues.jpg
    Duncans Cues.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 5,377

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
I play with a Hunter cue. (Bob Hunter)
12 3/4 mm
18 1/2 oz

Lancaster break cue

Porper case.

Ewa

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
From Grady -
I am using a Scruggs 19 1/2 oz., 12 1/2 MM, Stinger jump/break cue and a John Hager made bridge.

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
I guess Bernie didn't know it was me.. :(

hello, i'm Bernie Friend and the following is the break down of my equipment in detail.:

my break cue is a Mali M-1 break and jump cue. it is 58 inches long and it is 18oz. it has the standard stainless steel joints with black fibre trim with an 3/8/10 joint. the shaft is the original Mali hard canadian maple pro tapered 10inch tapered shaft. it features an ivorine ferruell and a triangle 13mm tip, which i do not shape. the forearm is a distintive charcol gray and the wrap is irish linen that goes all the way down into the butt sleeve, for ease of breaking. the butt cap say's Mali cues by cuesport in a gold oval against the black butt cap. this cue also unscrews further for a jump cue.

my main playing cue is also a Mali. it is the Mali M-14 the last of the Mali's made in america. the tip is my favorite, a hand selected, for true hardness triangle 13 mm tip which i keep shaped between flat and a nickel. the shaft is a capone jr. custom taper, and custum fitted for my cue. it is made out of hard northern maple wood. it has a normal 50% deflection ratio, which is what i prefer. i had the joints custom made for phenlonic instead of the standard stainless steel, this way, i could feel the feeedback in my grip hand. the joints are 3/8/10 and flat faced in black with an 8th. of an inch white acrylic ring in the butt and shaft,matching. the ferrull is melomine, medium hardness. the forearm has 4 coccobolla points inlaid into gray stained bird's eye maple, that was hand selected, to have extra birds eye in the grain. inside the bottom of the 4 points are two white opposing vertical diamonds in white acrylic in each point. the points are borded by black and white veneers. the wrap is irish linen in pitch black. the butt sleeve is most attractive, giving it a quiet professional look, it has 4 coccobolla windows framed by white acrylic fraames, inside the middle of each window are the matching two diamonds found in the forearms. the butt sleeve is what attracted me to this model, it is neither over done nor under done, just right. the butt sleeve is off white and the logo is in gold saying Mali cues by cuesport. the bumper is black. the cue is standard 58 inches, however i had it custom weighted for 16.5 oz. this gives me tremedous "touch" and "feel" i chose Mali because they make fine playing cues, that also look great and have a very attractive price, i believe you don't have to pay a lot, to get a lot of cue.

my accessories are:
master chalk "fresh piece only" in traditional blue.
the ulti-mate-tip tool in gold.
a baggie of toothpicks, (a habit i picked up after quiting smoking years ago)
earplugs, in case the pool hall is too noisy.
tylonal aspirin
purell in packets, a refreshing rubbing alcohol based product in tissue form, that i use on my face, then on my shaft.
and the greatest accessory of e'm all, my secret weapon, (if you will) slip stic shaft conditioner, although i do not have it in my bag, i use it once a month at home, it is amazing!

my case is an action elite ELP22. it is snazzy looking and very functional, and quite sexy, not to mention rugged, i love it!
well, i guess your sorry you asked! that is my entire set up in a LOT of detail, enjoy,Bernie.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
I play with a Hunter cue. (Bob Hunter)
12 3/4 mm
18 1/2 oz

Lancaster break cue

Porper case.

Ewa

Wow, that's interesting that Ewa plays with a Bobby Hunter cue.

I think Tony "T-Rex" Chohan from California also shoots with a Bobby Hunter cue, which was custom-made for him. He received it at the last U.S. Open from Bobby Hunter himself. Those cues sure are pretty, and I've heard from other players who shoot with a Bobby Hunter that the cues hit really, really sweet." :p

JAM