Is Banking Becoming a lost art for rotation players?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Today I went out on my table and played an hour or so of short rack banks. I couldn’t believe after the hours and hours I’ve spent at the table for the last two years that my banking game has come to suck so bad…especially long banks. Then it dawned on me why. I hardly ever shoot them anymore. For position reasons I cut almost everything now. While my cutting balls very thin down the rails is the best it has been ever, my banking is the worst it’s been in many, many years. I think if you don’t play 1-hole or banks and just play rotation and 14.1 on tight pocket-tables your banking game is going to hell if you don’t practice it. When I think about it now I don’t see many of the top pros taking an average percentage bank over a tough cut anymore in rotation games. Johnnyt
 
yea johnny,

I have seen the same thing with my game. Banks has never been a popular game up here in the north east, but I bank very few balls. I think it goes along with the more safe type game played now.

I do play some one pocket, and many banks are played to just lay in the pocket, or to lay on the bottom rail to not leave a return bank......so making the banks is often secondary.

I'd really like to see more "ring game" style rotation games played. Shoot outs where you gotta fire away with no safeties, and the ability to give the shot back....


also.....NO JUMP CUES! :)

rant over.....Gman, out
 
Nah. The thing is if your playing smart patterns and good position you shouldn't be playing for a bank. There's always going to be more variables in a bank over a cut. Its the nature of that game. Easy fix tho , start playing some 1P or straight banks. :) If you don't use it you lose it. Goes for any skill.
 
Nobody plays banks where I am from-N.Ca, I never played a game of banks in my life until a few years ago. I spent about 7 or 8 months daily playing 9 ball banks with a real strong bank player-I never realized what a great game banks is, its a shame its a regonal game and played in such limited areas. The best player will get the $$$ there is almost no luck in the long run in banks, I think it also would be more marketable on TV than 9-ball which nobody understands anyways. Banks people would understand and 2 and 3 rail banks are exciting even for non-players. Full rack banks wouldnt be good on TV.
 
Nobody plays banks where I am from-N.Ca, I never played a game of banks in my life until a few years ago. I spent about 7 or 8 months daily playing 9 ball banks with a real strong bank player-I never realized what a great game banks is, its a shame its a regonal game and played in such limited areas. The best player will get the $$$ there is almost no luck in the long run in banks, I think it also would be more marketable on TV than 9-ball which nobody understands anyways. Banks people would understand and 2 and 3 rail banks are exciting even for non-players. Full rack banks wouldnt be good on TV.

yes banks is a great game.
 
Yes, more bank pool!

Johnny, I think the difference is more than that.. in situations where the rack is more open, a missed bank could make a huge difference. In 14.1, if you miss a bank, that could really hurt. In 9b, if you miss a bank towards the end of the rack it could also spell doom. Banking is well and good in those games, but there's much more to take into account before convincing yourself that you can make it. I'd much rather leave another player a tough bank than to try one myself. That is because even if I can hit it 50% of the time, I'd rather my 10-40% opponent try it. That means I have a 50% chance of giving up the game or a 60-90% chance of having it given back to me. In 8b, banking comes in handy more often as the double shot, but 9b you have to be more cautious since you'll want a hook as well as shape if you go for a bank that isn't a gimme. Oh, then take into account the pockets on some of these tables.. if you're off a hair, that ball is gonna be a sitting duck.

Other than that, what they all said up there.
 
In Cincinnati I ran a Bank Pool league, only one session and only had 12 One Pocket players. We all enjoyed the league.

I;ve always thought that Banks makes you look at the angle better, slows you down and makes you go through your Pre-shot routine more delibertly.

I think I play better (other games) after a long session of banks.

Its been a few weeks since I had a session of banks, and I could tell I needed to start playing it more frequenly.

Northern California players will play banks, but only if you ask them first.
 
Banks is obviously a huge game here and I honestly can see a difference in the way local players (that also play banks) play rotation games because of this.
 
I agree with Fatboy that banks is an exciting game, even for non-pool players. Each shot is somehow more visually pleasing, at least to me. I also agree that banks require a different shot speed than onepocket. As mentioned, in onepocket, banks are lagged in. Playing banks, however, requires a bit more "pepper" on the shot. I love watching John Brumback spear in those straight backs. I watched him play against Adam Smith in 9 ball at the last DCC. He speared one of those in at warp speed to win that game (he lost the set - after making a GREAT jump shot with draw, he missed an easy duck, it was funny, because after that he grabbed himself by the neck indicating that he had just CHOKED!).

I also used to love watching Larry Price play the game as well. Nowadays, I'm like Johnnyt. I don't venture out to play much due to work, wife, etc. So when I get a chance to play, it's all about 9 ball much of the time. I did get to play a bank tourney two weekends ago in Louisville. Truman Hogue was in it as well. It was great fun. There should be more of those.
 
Banks

Thank God I started on snooker tables at 14 years of age. Golf, some snooker and something called Kelly pool, can't remember the details of Kelly pool. The bank is the biggest lifesaving, gamesaving, shot that must be in your arsenal. But then I turned 21 and hit the bar like a bolt of lightening. These nits and drunks wanted to play for big money, you know 5 bucks. Cleaned their clocks. Through the years my game progressed so well I actually got great position and shot fewer and fewer banks. And thats what happens to your old friend the bank shot. Don't throw your old friend to the curb. You will need him someday and where is he now? Now your older and playing more one pocket and you need him again. Nice to see old friends huh. I beat the Black Widow about 2 years ago (exhibition match) and needed my old friend the bank several times. Greatest bar box player I ever played and beat was Mr. David Matlock. Bank shot beat him in the end. Actually I love banking the money ball cause I think it demoralizes people. Damm hes pretty good and banks from anywhere on the table.
 
Back
Top