Is Efren to pool what Ronnie is to snooker?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I don’t think they are comparable to each other. If I had to draw a comparison to a pool great, it would be Ralf Greenleaf. Both O’Sullivan and Greenleaf are flawed geniuses on the table, but unlike Alex Higgins they’ve been able to hold it together enough to dominate. But perhaps not as much as they could have.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there's been anyone like Ronnie. He's a once-in-a-lifetime oddity.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Everyone loves Efren, but if one was to be real honest about it. The man's most memorable moments for his fans were very educated guesses that panned out in his favour.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there's been anyone like Ronnie. He's a once-in-a-lifetime oddity.
Can you give more insight into this? I don't follow snooker that much. I know Ronnie has been very good for a very long time (like, for example, Efren, and others at pool). Can you explain what makes him even more singularly odd than that?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Can you give more insight into this? I don't follow snooker that much. I know Ronnie has been very good for a very long time (like, for example, Efren, and others at pool). Can you explain what makes him even more singularly odd than that?
I think a closer comparison would be Ronnie and Earl.

I think what sets Ronnie apart is that at any given time that the man choose to be #1 in his game, he was. In fact imho, he could be #1 right now if he wanted to be. That's not a knock against the best of the game currently. More so Ronnie's commitment to the being the best.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they play a heads-up real match Efren has no chance.
Obviously they need a pool, snooker and geez, what else for a tiebreaker... 3c... round robin.

Ronnie's got no chance!
21096880_web1_wdfwfish-jsj-200401_1-1024x683.jpg

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think a closer comparison would be Ronnie and Earl.

I think what sets Ronnie apart is that at any given time that the man choose to be #1 in his game, he was. In fact imho, he could be #1 right now if he wanted to be. That's not a knock against the best of the game currently. More so Ronnie's commitment to the being the best.
Agreed 100%. Ronnie O, just like Earl is a generational talent, but it can be argued that a few others enjoyed a similar run of sustained excellence. In snooker, that would be guys like Steve Hendry, John Higgins, and Steve Davis. In pool, it would be guys like Luther Lassiter, Shane Van Boening, Mike Sigel and Nick Varner that enjoyed the same kind of sustained excellence as Earl. That said, more than any of these, Earl had a way of beating the best players of his generation to a pulp when he was really on, just like Ronnie O.

Contrastingly, Efren is the greatest all around pool player that ever lived, probably the best ever at fifteen ball rotation, one pocket and eight ball, top ten ever at nine ball, and on that rare occasion that he played 14.1, he showed very good form. He could figure out any game played on a pool table and that's why he was a six time Derby City Master of the Table. He probably didn't shoot quite as straight as either Lassiter or Earl, which is why his list of major titles in nine ball is not as long as either.

Ronnie is much more like Earl or Sigel than he is like Efren, but maybe even more like Sigel, whose competitive intensity began to wane in the early 1990s even though he was still at the top of his sport. It's worth noting that both Earl and Efren named Sigel as the "toughest opponent I've ever played."

Reactions: bbb

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Are you trying to be like coco? Ronnie spotted Efren 50 points , and admits he got hustled.
Snooker is tough action when you play against a snooker pro and you aren't one. In about 2001, I tired my luck in such a game for low stakes, and my spot was that the pro could not shoot the blue, the pink or the black until they were the last three balls. It sounded like a big spot, but I got crushed.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snooker is tough action when you play against a snooker pro and you aren't one. In about 2001, I tired my luck in such a game for low stakes, and my spot was that the pro could not shoot the blue, the pink or the black until they were the last three balls. It sounded like a big spot, but I got crushed.
I guess Efren plays better then you?

Just kidding, playing anything against a pro is often a humbling experience.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell pool is such an easy game so called GOAT's are a dime a dozen and easy to make a pitch for many of them. In 9 ball for example. A great breaker and player no better than a great breaker and good player. IMO.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell pool is such an easy game so called GOAT's are a dime a dozen and easy to make a pitch for many of them. In 9 ball for example. A great breaker and player no better than a great breaker and good player. IMO.
BlackBalled likes the low hanging fruit so I will let him have this one😉