Is Now the right time to open a pool hall

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a generalized pent up feeling in the market that can be only satisfied by real human contact.

I'd say it's a great time to reach out and try to grab that market. When has it been better in the past decade?

Commercial real estate is in a place where no one knows what's going to happen to its price levels. 40% of the commercial market is empty. EMPTY.

Jeff Livingston
Jeff I agree, but I wouldn’t bet my money on this theory just yet.

I think social trends will swing the direction you are talking about, but not just yet. You are a bit early on this one, right but early.

My very best
Fatboy😀

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The metaverse attempt might tell us more about human contact and how valuable it is in the market. Hell, I just saw a photo of a sex machine that users touch with their tongue and body parts, etc. Yuk, but maybe that's the near future.

Jeff Livingston

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Now is not time to open anything but mind to facts that as Mosconi said in his book Pool has never been as big as year of birth 1913.

Yes there are pockets of USA where does good, but more room with just dilute profit for successful rooms.

Hard Time Hellflower is gone,did anyone notice that this CA pool meca is closed.

Bellflower was and should have been called Hellflower, it’s a shit area.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Second story where house/lots of sections.

To help with a location, here's some thoughts/first time impressions of Chris's Billiards.
UPSTAIRS POOL ROOM.
Like the two on Market street (san francisco) before the Bart.

All brick walls, giant individual rooms/Together......
LAYOUT. WOW....here's what was SMART.

The room DIVIDERS. seeing them, for the first time ever in a business being used as walk thru doorways.
They were....
Those heavy see thru Vertical plastic flaps, used, for Walk in coolers.
They allow the frig to keep the cold air in when the doors open.

Doors w/o hinges, and they could adjust the heat I think, depending on the room.

Ok, so you will have to walk up the stairs to the second story to play but, hey your a pool player and you'll be walking for hrs, so what's another 20 steps for you daily workout :).

Top floor had large/openings/walkways between 3 different pool rooms total 41 tables ??
What they did was cut it up.
One room was for underage,
one room was for non players/small time gamblers
another was for action.
another for the cigarette smokers........

You could rent an entire section and hold a party, and still be around the players :) and out of their way.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a generalized pent up feeling in the market that can be only satisfied by real human contact.

I'd say it's a great time to reach out and try to grab that market. When has it been better in the past decade?

interesting question

personally, I have access to a ~private table, but do miss playing in public.
that said, I'm sticking to the home table until case numbers go down again
good luck..I admire the entrepreneurial spirit-

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're planning on opening one anytime soon you better already have a lot of the stuff you'll need. So much is back-ordered and shipping is iffy at best right now. A place near me is re-modeling and they ordered five 9ft ProAms. I think the wait time is like 8-10 weeks.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
interesting question

personally, I have access to a ~private table, but do miss playing in public.
that said, I'm sticking to the home table until case numbers go down again
good luck..I admire the entrepreneurial spirit-

I'm old. Life is short.

Get out while you still can, is my advice.

Big Dogs in Des Moines has been mask free since May of 2020. It's a beautiful site to behold, smiling faces.

jeff Livingston

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm old. Life is short.

Get out while you still can, is my advice.

Big Dogs in Des Moines has been mask free since May of 2020. It's a beautiful site to behold, smiling faces.

jeff Livingston

I appreciate the gesture, but you might want to look up the meaning of that song...
otherwise no need to derail the thread- I was just offering my view, as a potential customer
healthy wishes~

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I appreciate the gesture, but you might want to look up the meaning of that song...
otherwise no need to derail the thread- I was just offering my view, as a potential customer
healthy wishes~

I'm not derailing a thread. I hope not. I am reiterating my very first post after my comeback a year ago. Young guys get out and play!!!!!!!!!!

Can't we have just a touch of fun here, too? Can you dig it?

Jeff Livingston

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not derailing a thread. I hope not. I am reiterating my very first post after my comeback a year ago. Young guys get out and play!!!!!!!!!!

Can't we have just a touch of fun here, too? Can you dig it?

Jeff Livingston

I wasn't referring to just you re: derailing ^_^
public health is important to me..but so is having fun. I guess like in pool, we all got to pick our spots-

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little more insight

In Archers new room pool time is a single digit number or % of total sales. In other words he could remove all the pool tables and still have a solid business.

Think about that. A pool room without pool tables is the new formula.

Pool less pool rooms, a new trend sweeping the nation.

Who would have thought?

Best
Fatboy

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If someone seriously decided to open a Pool Room with no experience in the industry. I would visit 8 - 10 Rooms. Talke to owners, staff, and customers.

Find out the good, bad, and what they would do differently.

Then if your still hell bent on doing, think long and hard.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Society feels/acts the same way when a tatoo parlor wants to open up close to their biz.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But they'll take your tax money purposed for the city and steal land to make a golf course and subsidize the players, skool participation, events, charities, and on and on and get reelected for it.

Jeff Livingston
Of course, anything for their cause…

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Of course, anything for their cause…

Then the govt baseball diamonds, the soccer fields, football stadia worth literally $10s of million, skateboard parks, swimming pools, even race tracks, and more I can't think of right now. When the Iowa racetrack was built, the little town forked over $15 million for the damn road to the place!

But pool?? Omg, someone (who has power now---yikes!) got hustled in college so all pool halls are bad. Govt "science."

Jeff Livingston

Bigdaddi44

Registered
I just wanted to know if opening a room was a good idea........but I guess what it all comes down to is that I can do whatever I want and everyone will have an opinion. So, thanks to everyone and I'll let you know what happens.