Is respect gone in pool or is it just me

Dave in Boston

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Shawn for all your comments and suggestions I do appreciate it, and I am trying to rise above it all just having a hard time.

When I shut my mouth people continue to push and push, when I do say something shit just blows up so not really sure how to handle it for myself I know everyone has a different way of dealing with it I just need to figure it out.

But like I have been saying I dont understand it is all. The lack of respect and courtesy is really hard for me to grasp for some reason and everyone says I need to change and just deal with it. But why do I have to change is another issue I am having trouble with lol but I guess I need to learn

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
It Ain't Easy Being Me

Smorghead wrote: I think 'dickhead' is one word.

jgpool said:
Depends if it is a noun or an adjective!! :eek:

Well, of course I meant noun. I didn't see any Adjective dickheads... :)
Doughead

*DICKHEAD: Noun:An inept, foolish, or contemptible person.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
They

haven't been 'spanked' by their mistress lately, and they are getting grouchy... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and that guy that called you a dickhead, you should have said, "Do you think about Dick heads often?"

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
In reading this thread I am curious as to your age and the age of the other testosterone crazed lemmings involved.

I owned a billiard room with a separate bar area, players would of course have a beer or two as they played on our normal nights. League night was always a bit different.

My perception of league night was, although profitable from a purely business standpoint, potentially volatile from a customer standpoint.

If I'm off base in my view on this then so be it, but what I saw was

1. a small percentage of league players who could play, but take more pride in the ease of showing off their talent to lesser players than to step up and play with real players.

2. a larger percentage who used this as an excuse to get out to drink and be loud, and

3. an equally large percentage who were looking for the opposite sex interaction and if it wasn't available, see #2.

In large, hackers and railbangers who although commonly make up a large portion of billiard room clientele, can be problematic when assembled in opposing groups and fed a large diet of liquid courage.

IMO whether you are good, bad, nice, rude, quiet or loud, if you are plopped down in the middle of a group who by nature is any number of the above, you will become a part of it.

Needless to say I wasn't crazy about league night, but it is a necessary evil in the billiard room business at times. One of many reasons I sold the business. Good riddance to it. I don't envy anyone in that business today. It isn't easy!

Dave in Boston

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3and

You make good points and I do see all that but these individauls are not those types in my opinion

Two of the three examples are not league play, two of the people including the league play one the other person was over 50 ( I am 36)

kicker

Registered
I read somewhere long ago that anger stems from expectations.

Don't expect people to be courteous. Some people don't know pool etiquette. Some people deliberately shark. A lot of people are either oblivious or just don't care what effect their actions have on others, (this is not limited to the pool world).

It's not your duty to make people show courtesy or pool etiquette.
Learn what bothers you and to recognize the feeling that there is something bothering you. Don't shoot until you can refocus and/or the distraction is gone. There's a negligible amount of distractions that will happen right when you're pulling the trigger, but just shrug those off, (you're still likely to make the shot anyway if you were lined up correctly).

The guy hitting your hand on the break, though, I consider an egregious offence. Loss of match or DQ if I were the TD. If the TD doesn't do anything about it, then turnabout is fair play.

RascalDoc

RascalDoc
Silver Member
Dave in Boston said:
But like I have been saying I dont understand it is all. The lack of respect and courtesy is really hard for me to grasp for some reason and everyone says I need to change and just deal with it. But why do I have to change is another issue I am having trouble with lol but I guess I need to learn
You don't have to change. Just be well armed and pick your fights. :D

I also agree that distractions don't cause misses, pool players cause miss's. It's something that I am guilty of myself as far as allowing outside "shit" to distract me and I'm working on it. In the meantime league players are notorious for clustering around a table that is not "theirs" so they don't distract "their" player. So what if you are playing a match, you aren't on "their" team.

RascalDoc

RascalDoc
Silver Member
anger

By psychological definition from the self-help books, Anger is the result of someone or something not living up up to your expectations of it/them. So by that definition if you lower your standards, you won't get angry as much :)

I forgot something earlier also, anyone breaking before you are clear of the table, in my opinion, deserves anything you feel capable of handing out on the second offense. They break while your hand is on the table, or your stick is on the table, no first offense needed.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW He walked the walk & talked the talk!!!

3andstop said:
In reading this thread I am curious as to your age and the age of the other testosterone crazed lemmings involved.

I owned a billiard room with a separate bar area, players would of course have a beer or two as they played on our normal nights. League night was always a bit different.

My perception of league night was, although profitable from a purely business standpoint, potentially volatile from a customer standpoint.

If I'm off base in my view on this then so be it, but what I saw was

1. a small percentage of league players who could play, but take more pride in the ease of showing off their talent to lesser players than to step up and play with real players.

2. a larger percentage who used this as an excuse to get out to drink and be loud, and

3. an equally large percentage who were looking for the opposite sex interaction and if it wasn't available, see #2.

In large, hackers and railbangers who although commonly make up a large portion of billiard room clientele, can be problematic when assembled in opposing groups and fed a large diet of liquid courage.

IMO whether you are good, bad, nice, rude, quiet or loud, if you are plopped down in the middle of a group who by nature is any number of the above, you will become a part of it.

Needless to say I wasn't crazy about league night, but it is a necessary evil in the billiard room business at times. One of many reasons I sold the business. Good riddance to it. I don't envy anyone in that business today. It isn't easy!

This is IMO the best and most straight forward insight into league pool I have ever read!!!! Seen it WAY to many times and is the reason I quit leagues... Rep coming your way sir!!
Dan

Vinnie

pool is cool.
Silver Member
This seems to work for me...

The first time something happens, I explain politely that it is not proper etiquette. If they do it again, I then ask them, in a voice loud enough for those around to hear, if they are deliberately trying to shark me. Usually they quit once they are exposed.

Vinnie
--------------
Also trying to ignore distractions.