Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I agree. Video sales of prominent matches are pretty anemic according to one of the exhibitors at the tournament in Vegas, and i don't imagine a lot of people would shell out much for a video of his high run. The 14.1 community is pretty tiny in the big scheme of things.

The reviews of his presentation all seem to be highly positive and describe it as an entertaining evening. There's more income from a couple of evenings presentation than he'd get selling his video in a year. And once someone starts Youtubing his video, that would stop.

I'll be attending his showing later this summer, and am taking three players with me. Can't wait. I'm hoping we can hire him for a few hours of coaching.

Danny Harriman said he was selling an edited video of his claimed high run of 351, but I searched for it and couldn't find it offered anywhere. I asked him how many copies he sold but he didn't answer.
exactly, I have arranged private clinics for people and groups and they are willing to spend hundreds for that personal interaction. John has so much footage of his own high runs that he could slice them into instructionals and clinics for the rest of his life. Beyond just running balls John has a wealth of knowledge in all games. He certainly has many avenues to make a living based around his status as the first player to verifiably break Mosconi's record.

While the dedicated 14.1 community is a small subset of the pool community in general there are a lot of players who respect the 14.1 masters for the sheer skill it takes to put up high runs. They recognize and appreciate greatness in the billiard sports even in disciplines they don't play.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
exactly, I have arranged private clinics for people and groups and they are willing to spend hundreds for that personal interaction. John has so much footage of his own high runs that he could slice them into instructionals and clinics for the rest of his life. Beyond just running balls John has a wealth of knowledge in all games. He certainly has many avenues to make a living based around his status as the first player to verifiably break Mosconi's record.

While the dedicated 14.1 community is a small subset of the pool community in general there are a lot of players who respect the 14.1 masters for the sheer skill it takes to put up high runs. They recognize and appreciate greatness in the billiard sports even in disciplines they don't play.

The train has left the station; the horse has left the barn; the window is closed on JS monetizing his run.

He didn't do anything for the betterment of pool or 14.1 -- it was all about him -- anything good that comes from it is an accidental by-product IMO.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The train has left the station; the horse has left the barn; the window is closed on JS monetizing his run.

He didn't do anything for the betterment of pool or 14.1 -- it was all about him -- anything good that comes from it is an accidental by-product IMO.

Lou Figueroa
You're wrong. The window is wide open. The sky is the limit. The future is so bright John has to wear shades. John got pool mentioned in the New York Times because a lot of old people still remember the name Willie Mosconi and breaking his record is a big deal. I would conservatively say that John sells out at least 20 shows in the next two years. Should be more than that but maybe he won't want to do that many.

For someone that said earlier that you and John were "good" you sure seem to be quite active in denigrating him. I can sympathize with John Schmidt on that account as I myself have been a victim of your version of "burying the hatchet" (in the other guy's back).

Expect to see this often, to my delight every single time it happens in the future.

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 7.14.54 PM.png

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
Absolutely nothing at all wrong with that -- (red-fonted) -- being its primary nature for John. The same could be said of a great many visual artists, performers, athletes, scientists, mathematicians, etc. -- whose virtually self-taught & experimentally-advanced techniques notably raised the "excellence" bar within their chosen field.

Many names come to mind: Impressionist painter, Claude Monet; operatic tenor, Franco Corelli; and more recently the ingenious and obsessed molecular biologists who are in the headlines and scientific journals throughout every month and will be for decades to come.

And because these people so memorably did what they are recognized for, "good" things unquestionably followed within their fields and societal niches (or wider) and can/should be widely appreciated regardless of whether any of the"good" things that did ensue were serendipitous or weren't at all beneficially intended in the first place.

Arnaldo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're wrong. The window is wide open. The sky is the limit. The future is so bright John has to wear shades. John got pool mentioned in the New York Times because a lot of old people still remember the name Willie Mosconi and breaking his record is a big deal. I would conservatively say that John sells out at least 20 shows in the next two years. Should be more than that but maybe he won't want to do that many.

For someone that said earlier that you and John were "good" you sure seem to be quite active in denigrating him. I can sympathize with John Schmidt on that account as I myself have been a victim of your version of "burying the hatchet" (in the other guy's back).

Expect to see this often, to my delight every single time it happens in the future.

View attachment 595529

I’m wrong because you say so, lol.

Stating facts does not constitute denigrating someone. The facts are the facts, such as: the NYTimes article was published two years ago. It didn’t make him squadoushe.

20 shows in the next two years, that’s 10 shows a year. wow. Should put gas in the RV.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely nothing at all wrong with that -- (red-fonted) -- being its primary nature for John. The same could be said of a great many visual artists, performers, athletes, scientists, mathematicians, etc. -- whose virtually self-taught & experimentally-advanced techniques notably raised the "excellence" bar within their chosen field.

Many names come to mind: Impressionist painter, Claude Monet; operatic tenor, Franco Corelli; and more recently the ingenious and obsessed molecular biologists who are in the headlines and scientific journals throughout every month and will be for decades to come.

And because these people so memorably did what they are recognized for, "good" things unquestionably followed within their fields and societal niches (or wider) and can/should be widely appreciated regardless of whether any of the"good" things that did ensue were serendipitous or weren't at all beneficially intended in the first place.

Arnaldo

Good grief — I did not say there was anything wrong with it.

I was pointing out that it would be misleading to ascribe altruism to his attempts.

Lou Figueroa

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I’m wrong because you say so, lol.

Stating facts does not constitute denigrating someone. The facts are the facts, such as: the NYTimes article was published two years ago. It didn’t make him squadoushe.

20 shows in the next two years, that’s 10 shows a year. wow. Should put gas in the RV.

Lou Figueroa
yeah, just a little less than 1 a month. More if he feels like it. I was being conservative in the estimate.

You're stating facts? Haven't really seen that from you but I have seen you dodge direct questions from others when questioned on how you "know" that what you have attempted to portray as "fact" are actual facts. Especially since some of those statements are about a person's state of mind during past events, their future plans, what the market will bear in the future, and so on. Most people who do deal in facts would classify such statements as speculative opinions at best.

Even if John did just five shows a year it's a pretty good bet that they will be fully sold out. Add to that the exhibition gigs, the tournament invites, the clinics, private lessons...... the future for Mr. 600 is certain to be filled with people listening to him talk about straight pool and in awe of the fact that he broke Willie Mosconi's record. In the end, it's not the promoter that people remember but instead the person who succeeded where no other human had done so.

John Schmidt, Word Record Holder for running 626 balls in 14.1 Continuous Straight Pool. If that isn't worth anything for the person who did it then I guess this really is a lousy business and lousy sport after all. But it isn't a lousy business nor a lousy sport, just has some lousy people in it who make it somewhat unpleasant for the majority of us who do love this sport. We are the ones who celebrate John's achievement and hope that he finds a way to sell out theaters and get any other attention that will bring more people to this wonderful sport.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
For someone who isn't "squadoosh" we have 182 PAGES talking about him among NUMEROUS such long threads SINCE he established the new world record for 14.1 continuous, 626 balls without a miss.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah, just a little less than 1 a month. More if he feels like it. I was being conservative in the estimate.

You're stating facts? Haven't really seen that from you but I have seen you dodge direct questions from others when questioned on how you "know" that what you have attempted to portray as "fact" are actual facts. Especially since some of those statements are about a person's state of mind during past events, their future plans, what the market will bear in the future, and so on. Most people who do deal in facts would classify such statements as speculative opinions at best.

Even if John did just five shows a year it's a pretty good bet that they will be fully sold out. Add to that the exhibition gigs, the tournament invites, the clinics, private lessons...... the future for Mr. 600 is certain to be filled with people listening to him talk about straight pool and in awe of the fact that he broke Willie Mosconi's record. In the end, it's not the promoter that people remember but instead the person who succeeded where no other human had done so.

John Schmidt, Word Record Holder for running 626 balls in 14.1 Continuous Straight Pool. If that isn't worth anything for the person who did it then I guess this really is a lousy business and lousy sport after all. But it isn't a lousy business nor a lousy sport, just has some lousy people in it who make it somewhat unpleasant for the majority of us who do love this sport. We are the ones who celebrate John's achievement and hope that he finds a way to sell out theaters and get any other attention that will bring more people to this wonderful sport.

He chose poorly.

If there was a time to go for Mosconi's record it was probably 60 years ago, right after The Hustler came out. (And yes, I know JS wasn't even alive then.) There was renewed interest in the sport, people still knew what 14.1 was, and pool rooms were opening all over he country rather than closing. Mosconi himself was still alive and could have been interviewed on his feelings about the whole thing.

Now, there's nothing for him to find, no avenue to make money off the run -- that time has passed and it's not so much about the sport but rather how he handled it.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For someone who isn't "squadoosh" we have 182 PAGES talking about him among NUMEROUS such long threads SINCE he established the new world record for 14.1 continuous, 626 balls without a miss.

If you would like to inform yourself as to the central issue driving this thread for 183 pages, take a look at the thread title.

Lou Figueroa

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I don't think we are too far off. I was just assuming for the sake of argument that the JS record is confirmed. I was speaking more to what kind of record it is - exhibition or practice or should it matter even? It clearly isn't an exhibition record but on the other hand didn't the BCA kind of make up that category in order to record the Mosconi run as an official record? I see no problem in having three categories of high runs. Obviously tournament records are limited by the length of the match. Exhibitions aren't even held any more so Mosconi's record would remain untouched. That leaves practice runs which is where we are today. I say three categories because each is significantly different from the others. Just thinking out loud.
Exhibition runs are still performed in 14.1 all over the world - so that is incorrect, sorry Dan the fact u insist on referencing the 626 reel commercial as " a record" is laughable at best. If I staged a high light reel of me claiming to have run a 823 in 14.1 - would you consider that announcement verbatim - without first seeing unedited evidence? I don't think so, u have too mas intellect to accept that pitch - as it's really no where near the plate Dan.

Cuedup

If you submitted it to BCA for a record and they accepted it, it would go a long way towards establishing your credibility. Even to most of those that haven't seen it.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
If you submitted it to BCA for a record and they accepted it, it would go a long way towards establishing your credibility. Even to most of those that haven't seen it.
Fur enough - but this is Where it gets uh little hairy 4 u - and I ain't just wolfin'. Do you think if Willie Mosconi were alive and well today - he would ask to see what ever unedited footage they bca/csi have available?

Cuedup

From all reports, he wouldn't care since he apparently didn't care about high runs and I doubt he would be claiming it was a fraud just because he hadn't personally seen the video.

Maybe he would have challenged the claimant to a match.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
From all reports, he wouldn't care since he apparently didn't care about high runs and I doubt he would be claiming it was a fraud just because he hadn't personally seen the video.

Maybe he would have challenged the claimant to a match.
I disagree, u should put yer cuedwn, If his record was surpassed - he would want to see proof - guaranteed. Most people - including the two fella's at bca (who are not even 14.1 players) would agree that Mosconi - would want to sweat the 'red tape'. But yer entitled to yo opinion - so am I. As long as they continue to hide any shred of real evidence - Open public/ True Students of 14.1 i.e. people that matter - will never know. Would u purchase a business - without first seeing the real numbers of revenue? I think not cuedapp.

Last edited:

Cuedup

According to some, his record was no big deal to him. He could do it at will.

I suspect if someone beat his record he wouldn't bitch about it and claim fraud. He'd just beat their record.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
According to some, his record was no big deal to him. He could do it at will.

I suspect if someone beat his record he wouldn't bitch about it and claim fraud. He'd just beat their record.
This is incorrect, Mosconi would have wanted to first establish that his 526 had been surpassed. With todays advancements in video technology - the 626 should be easy to prove? I would say ur apart of their 'semi public'. I am not claiming or accusing anyone - just simply asking to see - what the csi/bca says they have proof of. According to sum? The people do not believe j.s. accomplished what his hidden sponsors are begging for us to adopt. I guess I am not apart of their big brother program. Again Mosconi would not try to surpass a claim - unless he had proof the claim was legit. I say the claim bca/csi is trying to lay on us ='s Non Legit.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is incorrect, Mosconi would have wanted to first establish that his 526 had been surpassed. With todays advancements in video technology - the 626 should be easy to prove? I would say ur apart of their 'semi public'. I am not claiming or accusing anyone - just simply asking to see - what the csi/bca says they have proof of. According to sum? The people do not believe j.s. accomplished what his hidden sponsors are begging for us to adopt. I guess I am not apart of their big brother program. Again Mosconi would not try to surpass a claim - unless he had proof the claim was legit. I say the claim bca/csi is trying to lay on us ='s Non Legit.
Who died and left you Mr. Mosconi's mouthpiece?

gerryf

Fur enough - but this is Where it gets uh little hairy 4 u - and I ain't just wolfin'. Do you think if Willie Mosconi were alive and well today - he would ask to see what ever unedited footage they bca/csi have available
If Willie wanted to see the evidence he would ask the BCA and/or John Schmidt. With Willie being the most prominent 14.1 player, I'm sure they would happily show it to him. Willie's opinion would matter to them.

I am not claiming or accusing anyone - just simply asking to see - what the csi/bca says they have proof of.
Have you asked the BCA or John Schmidt whether you can see the video? Or have you just posted comments on AZB complaining that it must be a conspiracy between Schmidt, Predator, BCA, room owner, etc., etc., .

If you asked and they didn't answer, could it be that you're coming across as a flake, and your opinion doesn't matter?

John Schmidt's 434 run is on Youtube - posted there by Predator. You could also ask Predator if they will post his 626 either after John is finished marketing it, or if John Schmidt surpasses that record as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.