Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recollection is that we all hashed this out years ago re: whether the Dragon Promotion events should be considered world championships, with most knowledgable folks opining that while they were "prestigious" events they were not world championships.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recollection is that we all hashed this out years ago re: whether the Dragon Promotion events should be considered world championships, with most knowledgable folks opining that while they were "prestigious" events they were not world championships.

Lou Figueroa
And I believe the ending was...
You'll have that in a small town with no sheriff

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Whaddya wanna do for a few? Me vs you and Danny, some partners and I'll shoot between you?

Oddly enough that sounds entertaining and something I would participate in.

If there was a 2min high ball run challenge. I would post videos and make attempts just for laughs.

It should have a shared hashtag or phrase used in the video, so it can "trend"

Who needs a 600 ball run when you can be famous for a two minute high ball run ratio

My high speed shooting can go as high as 5 balls per second on the short side of the table in the juicy rack area.

I can market myself as the fastest 141 player on the internet, thinking some great ideas right now.

Count me in for a group challenge.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dude!

Where there is no law, weird shit happens.

The reason that made/makes no sense to me is that there *was* a sheriff/law, called the WPA -- the World Pool Association.

As I recall, Dragon Promotions chose not to pay the WPA sanctioning fees and just decided to label their event a "world" championship anyways. IOWs, you or I could have done the same that Dragon Promotions did out of our basement pool rooms and held a "world championship." That's why JS's "world championship" is not.

We hashed all this out many years ago and many notable posters here came to the same conclusion -- not a valid "world championship."

Lou Figueroa

gerryf

The reason that made/makes no sense to me is that there *was* a sheriff/law, called the WPA -- the World Pool Association.

As I recall, Dragon Promotions chose not to pay the WPA sanctioning fees and just decided to label their event a "world" championship anyways. IOWs, you or I could have done the same that Dragon Promotions did out of our basement pool rooms and held a "world championship." That's why JS's "world championship" is not.

We hashed all this out many years ago and many notable posters here came to the same conclusion -- not a valid "world championship."

Lou Figueroa

It almost looks like there is a distinction at play. There's the Straight Pool World Championship (not held since 1990), and the World Straight Pool Championship run by Dragon Promotions since 2006.

It reads like the Straight Pool World championships ran sporadically from 1912 to 1990. None of those were sanctioned by the WPA as it didn't exist until 1987). The BCA had world championships sporadically after 1948.

Then after a gap of 15 years with no world championship tournaments, the Dragon Promotions World Straight Pool Championship ran from 2006 to the present (except 2020). The 2006 event was the first Straight Pool Championship ever sanctioned by the WPA, and they also sanctioned 2007, 2008, and 2010, but none since.

If the WPA has only been involved in straight pool in four of the last 30 years, it's almost like it's not involved at all.

Didn't something similar happen recently in Chinese 8-ball or Snooker or something, where they referred to something as a World Championship, but the WPA or another sports organization didn't recognize it.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It almost looks like there is a distinction at play. There's the Straight Pool World Championship (not held since 1990), and the World Straight Pool Championship run by Dragon Promotions since 2006.

It reads like the Straight Pool World championships ran sporadically from 1912 to 1990. None of those were sanctioned by the WPA as it didn't exist until 1987). The BCA had world championships sporadically after 1948.

Then after a gap of 15 years with no world championship tournaments, the Dragon Promotions World Straight Pool Championship ran from 2006 to the present (except 2020). The 2006 event was the first Straight Pool Championship ever sanctioned by the WPA, and they also sanctioned 2007, 2008, and 2010, but none since.

If the WPA has only been involved in straight pool in four of the last 30 years, it's almost like it's not involved at all.

Didn't something similar happen recently in Chinese 8-ball or Snooker or something, where they referred to something as a World Championship, but the WPA or another sports organization didn't recognize it.
Wait...so the Smithsonian is not in charge of everything ??

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd have to go back and look at the discussion where all that was hashed out.

But I believe the point was that the WPA had gained sanctioning authority for world championships from other national organizations here and abroad but Dragon just didn't want to pay the fee. I think there may have also been something going on with which players could participate and minimum payouts but I don't specifically remember. When Dragon events did not get sanctioning there may have been some kind of WPA ban on many players attending Dragon events and subsequently Dragon got a reduced field. However, Dragon did allegedly offer hotel turn down service.

Lou Figueroa

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. . . However, Dragon did allegedly offer hotel turn down service.

Lou Figueroa
You just ruined my new keyboard (when will I learn not to sip large gulps of morning java while on AZB).

Such a cleverly-phrased allusion for those of us with long memories for now-deleted (appropriately) eyewitness reports about uninvited hotel night visits to sleeping lady players. Hilarious!

As The Godfather flic's Virgil Sollozzo admiringly says to his driver (who has so-dazzlingly jumped the traffic lane barrier and spun the car back towards NYC):

"Nice work, Lou!"

Arnaldo

Last edited:

gerryf

I'd have to go back and look at the discussion where all that was hashed out.

But I believe the point was that the WPA had gained sanctioning authority for world championships from other national organizations here and abroad but Dragon just didn't want to pay the fee. I think there may have also been something going on with which players could participate and minimum payouts but I don't specifically remember. When Dragon events did not get sanctioning there may have been some kind of WPA ban on many players attending Dragon events and subsequently Dragon got a reduced field. However, Dragon did allegedly offer hotel turn down service.

Lou Figueroa
We'll probably dig deep and find out the Dragon Promotions event was originally conceived by Joe World, of World's Billiards and Bait Shop, hence it was called the World Straight Pool Championship.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

You just ruined my new keyboard (when will I learn not to sip large gulps of morning java while on AZB).

Such a cleverly-phrased allusion for those of us with long memories for now-deleted (appropriately) eyewitness reports about uninvited hotel night visits to sleeping lady players. Hilarious!

As The Godfather flic's Virgil Sollozzo admiringly says to his driver (who has so-dazzlingly jumped the traffic lane barrier and spun the car back towards NYC):

"Nice work, Lou!"

Arnaldo
It was a good one, wasn't it?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
It's not a wpa world championship. It is a world 14.1 championship as it was billed. Just like an apa world championship is a world title because they say it is.

Just like you have a state championship just because whomever put on that tournament called it that.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not a wpa world championship. It is a world 14.1 championship as it was billed. Just like an apa world championship is a world title because they say it is.

Just like you have a state championship just because whomever put on that tournament called it that.
Aka: you'll have that in a small town with no sheriff.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
However, Dragon did allegedly offer hotel turn down service.
Now that was funny.

Also the reason I can't watch anything he puts on. Forever.

I'd sooner trust the only copy of the 626 with Harriman than ever let that little ...person... near a hotel keycard.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no copy of the 626 videotape. The original soundtrack has been edited.
There is no unedited 626 videotape, therefore, there is no proof of 626 ball run.
Trust no one. No scouts here.
Do you think it was recorded on a videotape? Who has a camera that uses tape anymore?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read the Billiards Digest article for yourself.
clearly states Doug Desmond flew the videotape to the bca pool gods for verification.
Do you think they didn’t know what they recorded it with? C’mon now.
What's more likely, they referred to the footage as a "videotape"? Or they took the Delorean back to 1984 and bought a video camera? C'mon now.

Status
Not open for further replies.