Is SVB currently a top five "pool" player...worldwide?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That's a tough question...all things considered. :scratchhead:

I don’t see anybody beating a path to Shane’s door for a money match...
...and I’m pretty sure they are guaranteed action.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I get where this comes from. He lost out of the US Open and showed a lack of resilience or positive attitude along the way.

The part that needs to be baked in is that he got dealt an extremely frustrating blow with Lechner. Fading an 8 pack, coming back from down 9-0 and making it hill hill only to watch the guy break in the 9 ball. That has to be one of the most frustrating sets of the year. I saw him warming up for the event and it looked like he was coming here to win it and show he was still the world's best and take his 6th title. Instead he got broomed out with a set that would have done in anyone including Filler or Ko or Shaw. It's not surprising he was showing a little frustrating when he played Berg.

Meanwhile, whenever he gets a chance to play long sets like the one with Dennis upcoming he snap calls. And despite all of these set backs he remains ranked at the top. Think of what that looks like when he's running and feeling good.

I make no claims he is number one or the wild card in a tournament, but he is definitely in the top 5 and remains a serious force to be reckoned with.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Here's my unofficial current top 5 in the world at 9-ball/10-ball, in no particular order:

Wu
Filler
SVB
Chang
Little Ko

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I don’t see anybody beating a path to Shane’s door for a money match...
...and I’m pretty sure they are guaranteed action.

I believe that tall shooting monster from Taiwan would take him .

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I believe that tall shooting monster from Taiwan would take him .

He only got to four last night on Alex...but I don’t disagree...:eek:
His game reminds me of Buddy Hall’s when he was giving champions weight.

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meanwhile, whenever he gets a chance to play long sets like the one with Dennis upcoming he snap calls. And despite all of these set backs he remains ranked at the top. Think of what that looks like when he's running and feeling good.
What would Shane (824 Fargo ratng) have to spot Tony Chohan (751 Fargo rating) in a long set of One Pocket for big money?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just can't get past the fact that "pool" is in quotes in the thread title. What does that mean?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I just can't get past the fact that "pool" is in quotes in the thread title. What does that mean?

I would guess it means 8, 9, 10ball. He would not be top 5 in Snooker, 3 cushion, Russian pyramid, Chinese 8 ball, etc.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somebody smarter than us needs a tournament with the top 4 players playing longer sets for King of the Hill. Would be pretty sweet.

We will settle for Orcullo vs SVB which is still dam good

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Somebody smarter than us needs a tournament with the top 4 players playing longer sets for King of the Hill. Would be pretty sweet.

We will settle for Orcullo vs SVB which is still dam good

Yep, would like to see a 4 or 6 player round Robin races to 100 for 50k per man(unless Siming wants in).

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get where this comes from. He lost out of the US Open and showed a lack of resilience or positive attitude along the way.

The part that needs to be baked in is that he got dealt an extremely frustrating blow with Lechner. Fading an 8 pack, coming back from down 9-0 and making it hill hill only to watch the guy break in the 9 ball. That has to be one of the most frustrating sets of the year. I saw him warming up for the event and it looked like he was coming here to win it and show he was still the world's best and take his 6th title. Instead he got broomed out with a set that would have done in anyone including Filler or Ko or Shaw. It's not surprising he was showing a little frustrating when he played Berg.

I make no claims he is number one or the wild card in a tournament, but he is definitely in the top 5 and remains a serious force to be reckoned with.

This is a great post. Since 2016, Shane is now 0 for 2 at the US Open, and 0 for 2 at the International Open. Granted, the fields have exploded in sheer numbers of extremely talented players-that have superseded the world championship in field average Fargo rating.
I expect him to come out swinging for the next US Open in Vegas.