Is there a "smart" cue ball yet?

chenjy9

This might be a dumb question, but is there a smart cue ball yet? I was recently helping my mother figure out her new smart watch and I started thinking about all the various smart devices that exist now and can report to our smartphones. Is there something similar to that for cue balls where they can connect to our phones via Bluetooth and report on where our cues actually hit as well as the speed and consistency of stroke? I know Diamond has their laser sensor table and there are some overhead cameras that can help with recording and showing cue paths and what not, but that's not quite the same thing.

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take it you don't see any worth in such a thing? ;)
I do.

I've always thought it would be useful to know spatial relationships between the cue ball object ball, and pocket while shooting pool. In other words GPS type data but on a smaller scale.

This would provide extremely valuable info on ball pocketing accuracy and precision (do I tend to over or undercut certain shots?...etc)

chenjy9

I do.

I've always thought it would be useful to know spatial relationships between the cue ball object ball, and pocket while shooting pool. In other words GPS type data but on a smaller scale.

That was what I was thinking as well.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would there be interest in a cue ball that measures spin, speed, English angle, and precise tip position, without ever needing to touch the ball between shots? With an app?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
The digicue blue provides similar metrics and mounts to the butt of the cue. I think putting a hollow cavity with electronics into the center of a phenolic resin cue ball may alter its hit and spin characteristics?

This might be a dumb question, but is there a smart cue ball yet? I was recently helping my mother figure out her new smart watch and I started thinking about all the various smart devices that exist now and can report to our smartphones. Is there something similar to that for cue balls where they can connect to our phones via Bluetooth and report on where our cues actually hit as well as the speed and consistency of stroke? I know Diamond has their laser sensor table and there are some overhead cameras that can help with recording and showing cue paths and what not, but that's not quite the same thing.

chenjy9

The digicue blue provides similar metrics and mounts to the butt of the cue. I think putting a hollow cavity with electronics into the center of a phenolic resin cue ball may alter its hit and spin characteristics?

With various composite materials having different weight and density, I am sure it's possible to make something perform the same as a normal cue ball. Interference to connectivity on the other hand...

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With various composite materials having different weight and density, I am sure it's possible to make something perform the same as a normal cue ball. Interference to connectivity on the other hand...
Don't worry about the connectivity. Stay tuned (pun intended.)

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210525-155928_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210525-155928_Gallery.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 140

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I'd be interested how someone solves the charging port and rolling problem (that is, inserting something into a ball and still having it roll true). I mean, you'd have to get the thing perfectly centered. And all the components would have to be able to take a million impacts. (I don't think transmitting to a phone is an issue, though).

-td

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I'd be interested how someone solves the charging port and rolling problem (that is, inserting something into a ball and still having it roll true). I mean, you'd have to get the thing perfectly centered. And all the components would have to be able to take a million impacts. (I don't think transmitting to a phone is an issue, though).

-td
That one is easy. Wireless charging. Or even if the sensors are so low energy burn, charging like a self winding watch. No port required.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's about a million times easier to mount a few video cameras and have them track all the balls. There is no need to have special balls, and the video system tells you angles of shots and a lot of other stuff.

BTW, most of this has already been done but it was the expensive version with accelerometers in the rails to detect the instant of rail contact and microphones to listen for ball-ball contacts.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Is there a "smart" cue ball yet?

hope not, stop trying to make the game easier, put your work in