Is there a "smart" cue ball yet?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Presumably he has a good idea of the possible market based on his digicue sales. I think this cue ball would have to work in tandem with the digicue to get a full set of meaningful data, so current digicue owners are probably the target market.

C'mon man. Even if, and its a BIG 'IF', you could embed the necessary sensor/elec. package in a cue-ball you'd still have to get it balanced to roll like a real ball. THEN, you'd have to market the thing. How many do you think would actually get sold?? I'm sure there's a fair number of techno-geek pool players out there but do you really think this thing would be a break-even proposition much less make $$?? IMO this is nothing but an orphaned solution looking for a problem to move in with.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's about a million times easier to mount a few video cameras and have them track all the balls. There is no need to have special balls, and the video system tells you angles of shots and a lot of other stuff. ...
Among other things a camera-based system would give you is measurement of cloth speed and cushion rebound. A huge advantage over a ball with a sensor in it is that it can constantly be upgraded with software changes.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C'mon man. Even if, and its a BIG 'IF', you could embed the necessary sensor/elec. package in a cue-ball you'd still have to get it balanced to roll like a real ball. THEN, you'd have to market the thing. How many do you think would actually get sold?? I'm sure there's a fair number of techno-geek pool players out there but do you really think this thing would be a break-even proposition much less make $$?? IMO this is nothing but an orphaned solution looking for a problem to move in with.
Making consumer hardware is brutally difficult. It is quite a challenge to pull it off, especially something multi-disciplined like this. You always have to ask yourself what the value of the product is to your customers, why it is important, and why anybody would ever want it. If you can't come up with good answers then you are wasting your time and money.

I keep managing to answer all three questions with good answers.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The best alternative I have for a smart cue ball is one that lights up on the area where you should make contact with the cue ball.

Think of it as a follow through and visual aid trainer.

And then gives you feedback about if you contacted the correct area.

I did think about BB8 and a remote control cueball but that would just be for laughs.

chenjy9

I am not a hardware engineer, so I won't try to discuss what various sensors and composite material are or are not available to possibly make a smart cue ball. However, I do want to put this out there as food for thought.

How much of the current and hugely popular innovations we have in the world of billiards right now were the result of, from your perspective, a solution looking for a problem? Take low deflection or carbon fiber shafts for example. There is nothing wrong with a maple shaft. People can adjust to squirt. People can burnish wood to make it slick again. I am sure someone had the same thought once upon a time just like you about both products. Same with training cue balls with spin diagram and the countless of YouTube videos out there with each offering unique perspectives on improving aim and stroke. Why do those exist if all anyone has to do is "hit a ball a million times"? Simonis cloth is another great example; why would a historic textile company consider making cloth for pool tables? Additionally, why bother adding Teflon to pool tables? Doesn't the old cloth work just fine and dandy?

Innovative tech and data help us understand and appreciate the world around us better. It's absolutely fine if a smart cue ball might not be useful for you. Maybe you don't need additional help improving your game and practice sessions to where you are trying to get it. But surely you can appreciate that more precise and readily available information has historically and empirically help make lives and the world a better place?

bb9ball

Registered
Among other things a camera-based system would give you is measurement of cloth speed and cushion rebound. A huge advantage over a ball with a sensor in it is that it can constantly be upgraded with software changes.

Assuming the cue ball could work, it's much more portable than any camera based system.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see sirens connected to the cue ball sensors on barboxes.
Let the whole friggin' house know you scratched, dumbass!
That is a really good idea. Maybe it could start beeping as it approaches the pocket. Closer=>> faster

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a hardware engineer, so I won't try to discuss what various sensors and composite material are or are not available to possibly make a smart cue ball. However, I do want to put this out there as food for thought.

How much of the current and hugely popular innovations we have in the world of billiards right now were the result of, from your perspective, a solution looking for a problem? Take low deflection or carbon fiber shafts for example. There is nothing wrong with a maple shaft. People can adjust to squirt. People can burnish wood to make it slick again. I am sure someone had the same thought once upon a time just like you about both products. Same with training cue balls with spin diagram and the countless of YouTube videos out there with each offering unique perspectives on improving aim and stroke. Why do those exist if all anyone has to do is "hit a ball a million times"? Simonis cloth is another great example; why would a historic textile company consider making cloth for pool tables? Additionally, why bother adding Teflon to pool tables? Doesn't the old cloth work just fine and dandy?

Innovative tech and data help us understand and appreciate the world around us better. It's absolutely fine if a smart cue ball might not be useful for you. Maybe you don't need additional help improving your game and practice sessions to where you are trying to get it. But surely you can appreciate that more precise and readily available information has historically and empirically help make lives and the world a better place?
Sports have seen a huge influx of new technology that is just reporting on data. It'd be beyond naive to thing there isn't a pool oriented one that wouldn't sell.

But novelty gifts are timeless. I still vote for the beeper.

chenjy9

Sports have seen a huge influx of new technology that is just reporting on data. It'd be beyond naive to thing there isn't a pool oriented one that wouldn't sell.

But novelty gifts are timeless. I still vote for the beeper.

That's a big reason I don't understand some of the reactions. Sports franchises invest hundreds of millions into statistic based groups. They put sensors on players and equipments to monitor heart rate, BMI, oxygen levels, steps, and speed. Dietitians help them keep track of calories, carbs, and proteins down to the individual ingredients and throughout the cooking process. In pool, people look for angle and speed combinations to break better. All of this is widely accepted and embraced. Yet, inquiring if there is a cue ball to help provide valuable data on hit location and stroke speed is ridicule worthy? 🤔

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Assuming the cue ball could work, it's much more portable than any camera based system.
You probably already carry a camera-enabled system that has already replaced radar guns for measuring break shot speed.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You probably already carry a camera-enabled system that has already replaced radar guns for measuring break shot speed.
Do I have one that will track RPMs on a ball over time without me needing to manually evaluate camera frames?

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes there is a smart cue ball (sort of). This is from the Diamond website:

"Patented optical density sensor built into the ball return system allows the player to use Cyclop Billiard Balls with the professional grade Cyclop Cue Ball. No longer do the amateurs have to play with an over sized or magnetic cue ball."

The light shines through the cue ball and tells the table the cue ball has gone in the pocket, and the table diverts it to the cue ball chute.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes there is a smart cue ball (sort of). This is from the Diamond website:

"Patented optical density sensor built into the ball return system allows the player to use Cyclop Billiard Balls with the professional grade Cyclop Cue Ball. No longer do the amateurs have to play with an over sized or magnetic cue ball."

The light shines through the cue ball and tells the table the cue ball has gone in the pocket, and the table diverts it to the cue ball chute.
The sensor can tell the color-density difference.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a big reason I don't understand some of the reactions. Sports franchises invest hundreds of millions into statistic based groups. They put sensors on players and equipments to monitor heart rate, BMI, oxygen levels, steps, and speed. Dietitians help them keep track of calories, carbs, and proteins down to the individual ingredients and throughout the cooking process. In pool, people look for angle and speed combinations to break better. All of this is widely accepted and embraced. Yet, inquiring if there is a cue ball to help provide valuable data on hit location and stroke speed is ridicule worthy? 🤔
Quit bitchin' already and go build it. You like the idea, some of us think its not needed. Deal with it. There's this new miracle drug, 'GROWACET', might want to get some. Look, you're on a forum full of pool players and you need a tad thicker skin to hang here.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody on here play golf? Over the last 20-30yrs at least a billion dollars has been spent on all sorts of gadgets that guarantee a better game. Guess what? Overall scores/handicaps have not improved one iota over the same time-span. NO excuse for hard work/patience. This thing, if it ever happens, will end up in the junkpile of goofy gizmos.

chenjy9

Anybody on here play golf? Over the last 20-30yrs at least a billion dollars has been spent on all sorts of gadgets that guarantee a better game. Guess what? Overall scores/handicaps have not improved one iota over the same time-span. NO excuse for hard work/patience. This thing, if it ever happens, will end up in the junkpile of goofy gizmos.

Here is an article about Tiger Woods (I might know much about golf, but we can both agree that Tiger does) switching to new, prototype clubs over the years and is known to use gadgets like TrackMan and Full Swing Pro Series simulator to further elevate his game.

Now, gadgets and data will never replace practice and hard word. No one is remotely implying that. However, tech that can provide us with data that can be applied to practice if used intelligently will always be hugely invaluable.