Is there anything that'll bring out wood character

DeeDeeCues

Never tried it.. is it easy to work with? Does it need sanded after applying ?

Easiest thing ever to use. Just wipe on with a lint free cotton cloth. It probably needs sanding just to smooth it. I use scotch Brite pads. It dries to the touch in minutes. Additional coats require no sanding unless something is in the dry coat.

DeeDeeCues

Never tried it.. is it easy to work with? Does it need sanded after applying ?
Crappy iphone photo of a bubinga box that is in progress. Only shellac, the figure is all but invisible without the shellac. The photo is under led lighting, in person it looks way better.

Attachments

• 81A0ABAD-B83F-4A98-8B86-A4885A7D0DA3.jpeg
    81A0ABAD-B83F-4A98-8B86-A4885A7D0DA3.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 60

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Be careful which type of Shellac you use.....do not use one with wax if you are going to do a top coat of something else. I recommend Wiping a small amount of very clear epoxy, like Max16 on it, then wiping the excess off with a clean lint free cloth......It will give it the "wet" look for color/character then let dry for a day, do a very light sanding, then apply a topcoat of choice. Here is a sign I did in red oak, before and after epoxy 'seal coat' I have done this many times and it works very well, and you can use any type of finish afterwards.
20221115_172911.jpg
20221117_152048.jpg

PracticeChampion

Easiest thing ever to use. Just wipe on with a lint free cotton cloth. It probably needs sanding just to smooth it. I use scotch Brite pads. It dries to the touch in minutes. Additional coats require no sanding unless something is in the dry coat.
I use epoxy now before clear, does it do a better job you think of bringing out the woods character

DeeDeeCues

If using shellac as a seal coat, just get Zinsser Seal Coat. Tough to find sometimes, but it is dewaxed at the factory.

True. Check the date code, though. Shellac has a shelf life of about six months.

I used to use Zinsser exclusively, but have gone to flakes and mixing my own.

Be aware that when buying shellac flakes there are different colors. Blonde and super blonde will add only a slightly warm yellow tone to very light color wood. You won't notice on anything with much color. Amber and garnet with darken most woods.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
True. Check the date code, though. Shellac has a shelf life of about six months.

I used to use Zinsser exclusively, but have gone to flakes and mixing my own.

Be aware that when buying shellac flakes there are different colors. Blonde and super blonde will add only a slightly warm yellow tone to very light color wood. You won't notice on anything with much color. Amber and garnet with darken most woods.

Do you use 2k or an epoxy clear.over your shellac?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I use clear from Napa, does a great job but those 2k aerosols sure look convenient. About how long does it last once mixed?
I know I can put my mixed clear in my garage fridge and it'll last nearly a week longer

I haven't used 2k yet as I don't have a safe spray booth. I've enjoyed less caustic products for my hobby making. But I think it's the common top coat around here so someone else will know your answer

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I use clear from Napa, does a great job but those 2k aerosols sure look convenient. About how long does it last once mixed?
I know I can put my mixed clear in my garage fridge and it'll last nearly a week longer
Usually 24hours. I haven’t tried to use it beyond that so I’m not sure if refrigerating it will help.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
BLO.
Have a heat box to dry them faster.
About 3 days at 85 degrees.
Then epoxy coat before clear coat..
Shellac dries fast.
You can also thin BLO with DA and apply it before final pass.

Attachments

• IMG_20221210_224039_338.jpg
    IMG_20221210_224039_338.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 61

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a cuemaker. But I have used shellac for over 40 years and there is some excellent advice in this thread.

Mixed my own and used Zinsser forever, one of the all time great finishes ever. Makes a tremendous interloping primer and can be topcoated with just about anything. Just be certain it is fully dry if your topcoating it...

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Honey Stain on Birdseye and Curly maple before adhesion coat and clear.

Makes the curly and eyes pop but does not darken the maple too much.