Is there such a thing as natural talent? Some say yes, I do not think there is?

boyraks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're forgetting one more thing in your equation.... Genetics. Some people are just better wired when it comes to brain to muscle coordination.

Use this for an example... Some people just have natural Talent when it comes to playing the guitar. I've taken guitar lessons and I worked very hard at it, but I just reached a plateau and could not surpass it no matter how hard I tried. The fact is I will never have the talent that Roy Clark did no matter how much work I put into it. Roy Clark didn't get to where he was just by hard work, but that was a lot of it. He just has natural musical Talent. He could play anything with strings on it.
Genetics..John Morras parents are both accomplished pool players.

loggerhead12

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Anybody who has coached little league knows the answer to this one right away. A few kids walk on the field the first time and have it. The big majority can work really hard and get close to having it. And the other group will never have it, regardless of how many hours, months, years, or dollars they (or their parents) put in.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Natural talent can get you only so far. If you want to go to the top tier, takes desire, hard work, and sweat. The saying "sweat during practice prevents bleeding during competition". Ask Josh Filler and Jason Shaw how hard they have worked. Those who believe Pros have gotten so far is because of "natural talent" are coping out and using this excuse for not doing the work.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
This is a 100% fact. You need to have a natural atheticism that few possess! When I was a kid in the late 80s/early 90s, I had such a passion for skateboarding. I got every copy of Thrashing and Transworld. I watched every skate movie I could. My parents were kind enough to buy me a Tony Hawk board, tracker trucks (I think) and some good wheels. I had the skater shoes and gear. I watched all of the Powell Videos that I could find to rent at our local Video Rental stores. My best friend had a Vision Street Wear GATOR board. We spent hours every day skating. I was the little chubby kid who could ride (as in, roll across the ground and keep my balance) really good, and could keep up doing that...but even after a year could barely ollie, and just had zero athleticism/ coordination betwen my brain and legs/feet to do anything. I had an overabundance of natural hand-eye coordination, so I can't complain.

We went to a huge skatepark in Nashville one day in maybe 1990, and after watching some other kids on the ramp I decided to give it a go. I give myself an A for guts (or stupidity)...but I went down hard, knocked the breath out of me. I was laying on the ramp trying to breath as I felt like I had broken my back. Some of the younger skaters were yelling "Get the f off of the ramp, poser!" (and I WAS, but just didn't know it), but one of the best skaters at the park came down off of the huge half pipe, and helped me off (which quieted the others) and helped me compose myself (once I could breath I started crying). He was really cool. I went inside, called my mom to come get me, and said "F this"... that was the end of my skating career. LOL! I had other friends that were killing it after a FEW MONTHs. I still loved skating as a sport - but you either have it or you don't. I didn't even have a 10th of it for skating, LOL. I have a good friend who is in his 40s like me. He has a mini ramp in his backyard and still skates everyday..and posts videos to facebook. He still has it...and can still take the spills without needing an ambulance!
Wait, let me get this straight. You tried something once...cried and gave up....and that makes you think that you don't have talent for it...lol. No, what you don't have is determination and balls.

Jaden

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Wait, let me get this straight. You tried something once...cried and gave up....and that makes you think that you don't have talent for it...lol. No, what you don't have is determination and balls.

Jaden
All your laughing and you cant READ. He clearly said "We spent hours every day skating. " Are you slow?
Stop being a hater.

TFT

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
All your laughing and you cant READ. He clearly said "We spent hours every day skating. " Are you slow?
Stop being a hater.

TFT
LOL, I can read exceptionally well...Skating on the street is not the same thing as ramp skating. I spent hours every day skating too and I was pretty good, I could ollie onto park benches.. First time I tried to drop in on a half pipe, fell on my ass and knocked the breath out of myself...

They're two different animals...It would be like playing 9 ball for years and then getting pissed that you can't break a 100+ the first time you try snooker.

Actually, let me revise that, it would be more like playing miniature golf for years and then being pissed you didn't play scratch golf your first time on the course.

Jaden

Talent is the excuse people use when they don't have the drive to succeed.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have extraordinary talent for closing deals on the phone as a telemarketer. I made it through the ranks in the phone room biz to the very top in a few months. The rest of the guys who “made it” typically took 2-3 years. Took me 8 weeks.

It wasn’t luck. It was talent going to work 12-14 hours a day on the phone. I became well known in the biz, more so than here on AZB. This was in Vegas when telemarketing was the 3rd largest industry in Nevada and recognized as a legit biz, there were 400 phone rooms back when I was well known in that biz. Before it went corrupt. (I never liked the attention) I never mentioned it here and likely won’t again. Point I’m making is I have a “talent” and know what it is. It sets me apart from everyone almost in a very specific niche of life. Otherwise I’m a normal person.

I could get more $ in the door faster than anyone without every misleading a person. I’m very convincing and honest on the phone. I still am in biz, I’m also lazy. I could make loads more $, but I’m not all about working.

So yes I possess a extraordinary talent. I’ve studied others who have it in other disciplines as it’s always fascinated me why some guys can run faster, jump higher, pinch harder, run 500 balls, lift more weight, sell more customers, generate more followers on social media.

Talent is a real thing. Johnny Archer told me “pool is easy”. And for him, I believe it is. It’s not for me. In 100 years I couldn’t run 100 balls in 14.1. Impossible.

But for me I can’t explain why im good at what I’m good at. But I can prove it. I have nothing to prove to anyone-im just making a point.

Talent is real. Some men never find theirs. The lucky ones do.

Best
Fatboy<———not bragging, just stating the facts as I’ve learned them after studying people & greatness pretty much my whole life.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose in fields that don't require apparent physical prowess, talent might be the operative criteria and pool might be on the fence in regards to physical prowess. IOW, sure Strickland could churn_out after out after out_ but the skill is all but invisible. Poke at the white ball over and over; it might as well be magic.
Is that talent? The details are all researchable if not common knowledge. Maybe the question should be how much innate ability will get you by?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Natural talent can get you only so far. If you want to go to the top tier, takes desire, hard work, and sweat. The saying "sweat during practice prevents bleeding during competition". Ask Josh Filler and Jason Shaw how hard they have worked. Those who believe Pros have gotten so far is because of "natural talent" are coping out and using this excuse for not doing the work.
Josh Filler was competing well at 14 with pros in Germany. Look at videos of him playing at that age, and you could see the raw pure talent in his stroke, combined with the emotions of a young teenager. Sure he worked at it. But he was starting with talent far beyond others.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Josh Filler was competing well at 14 with pros in Germany. Look at videos of him playing at that age, and you could see the raw pure talent in his stroke, combined with the emotions of a young teenager. Sure he worked at it. But he was starting with talent far beyond others.
1000000% correct

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
LOL, I can read exceptionally well... I spent hours every day skating too and I was pretty good, I could ollie onto park benches.. First time I tried to drop in on a half pipe, fell on my ass and knocked the breath out of myself...

They're two different animals...It would be like playing 9 ball for years and then getting pissed that you can't break a 100+ the first time you try snooker.

Actually, let me revise that, it would be more like playing miniature golf for years and then being pissed you didn't play scratch golf your first time on the course.

Jaden

Talent is the excuse people use when they don't have the drive to succeed.
We've know a clumsy person who still stumbled and ran into corners well past their 20s? I guess they just didn't practice walking hard enough, or "want" it bad enough. OR, as I showed in a previously example, maybe some people are born with a hard limit on muscle memory and the ability to sense where their limbs are in space. (Kinesthetics)

Your opinions seem to be just as ill-informed on pool and talent as they are in politics and religion. Some people are born with a higher level of "talent" for logic, apparently.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Actually, I stand corrected. It wasn't 14 when he started slaying dragons. It was 12.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
We've know a clumsy person who still stumbled and ran into corners well past their 20s? I guess they just didn't practice walking hard enough, or "want" it bad enough. OR, as I showed in a previously example, maybe some people are born with a hard limit on muscle memory and the ability to sense where their limbs are in space. (Kinesthetics)

Your opinions seem to be just as ill-informed on pool and talent as they are in politics and religion. Some people are born with a higher level of "talent" for logic, apparently.
No one is saying that there aren't physical limitations that some people have over others. No one is saying that some people don't have better hand eye and better visual spatial relational ability. Mostly people who are counter to the natural talent argument are simply saying that raw ability NEVER gets you to a top level. It always requires proper training, proper practice and LOTS of experience.

What I'm saying is that most limitations are self imposed and someone stating that they tried something once and failed is not indicative of not having talent at something.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Actually, I stand corrected. It wasn't 14 when he started slaying dragons. It was 12.
MAybe you should ask him how many 12 hour/6 or 7 day a week months/years he had played to get to that level...lol...I would imagine a minimum of 18 months with proper structure and instruction.

Jaden

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
No one is saying that there aren't physical limitations that some people have over others. No one is saying that some people don't have better hand eye and better visual spatial relational ability. Mostly people who are counter to the natural talent argument are simply saying that raw ability NEVER gets you to a top level. It always requires proper training, proper practice and LOTS of experience.

What I'm saying is that most limitations are self imposed and someone stating that they tried something once and failed is not indicative of not having talent at something.

Jaden
The topic of the thread isn't "Can you achieve a high level of play without natural talent?" It's "Is there such a thing as natural talent?".

Some players just inherently sense after a very short time, just how long the slides stays on the cue ball, allowing them to optimize stroke to open the pocket as much as possible. That's Filler. He hits off angle shots with the absolute PERFECT speed to maximize the make percentage, in a way that I have not seen any other player do. If that is not raw talent, then I wonder why every other pro player who put in the time does not hit the ball that way.

I don't think a single person in this thread has said natural talent gives one a free pass from having to work hard.

But let's look at it another way. Even throwing steroids into the mix, Arnold Schwarzenegger had absolutely perfect genetics for aesthetic bodybuilding. Didn't mean he did not have to put in the two a day weightlifting sessions. Didn't mean he did not have to put in the time and effort to eat right and make notes on exactly how specific foods affected his physique. The thing was... Lots of other people were putting in the same amount of work, and doing the same things, and did not get his results, due to inferior genetics.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Those who do not have the desire to work hard and sweat it out will continue to blame it on their lack of natural talent. It makes them feel better so let em have at it.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Here’s a question for y’all. You have to bet 5k on a match. You know nothing about how good either player performs, they are both total strangers. The only thing you know is that player A believes talent separates the best from the good and player B believes each individual can achieve anything with the right effort. Who are you betting on?
Boom! Nuff said.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A young man I had never seen before walked into my local poolroom, picked up a house cue, threw out all 16 balls on a fairly tight table and effortlessly ran the rack. He did it a second time, and then a third time, without even breaking a sweat.

Now, his girlfriend/wife comes over, says, "Hon, we gotta go now", so they both leave.
I asked the houseman, "Who was that guy?"
"Oh, that's Nicky. He used to play, but he quit years ago, got a job, got married. etc."

Pat Fleming ran 50 balls after playing pool for only one month.
Allen Hopkins ran 100 balls in his first year of playing.

Natural ability for excelling in pool exists, and I've seen it.