Is this a Gold Crown ?

kickserves

Registered
I am looking into buying this table and it looks to me like a GC4, but it has no markings or labels anywhere. I tried looking at the underside of the slate, but again... nothing. Could any one take a look at these pics and let me know if this is a GC or what it is

Another point if it helps is that the slate is held up by 4 horizontal thick beams about 3-4 inches by 1.5 inches or so and there are 2 thick beams that run vertically. The owner bought it used and have no clue what the table is.

dEIqTtq.jpg

n1NreBP.jpg

It has a gap between one of the pockets as it's missing a bolt. How easy is it to get a replacement bolt?

sLcICh6.jpg

ct4O5bm.jpg

8hsn49y.jpg

GjW8vKp.jpg

The slate has this going through it, but it's not a crack when i ran my fingers over it.

9udS3vh.jpg

gGuKCUp.jpg

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
No! It's a knock off. Olio or Berenger. Many other private label versions come out of China and Taiwan.

Jay

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown?

Definitely not a gold crown.. my first thought was Olio too but Olio tables always have the name on them, usually on the ball box at the foot of the table. I would bet that it's from China or Taiwan. It's probably an O.k table at best, but not a Gold Crown.

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting "slate" on that table. It appears to not be slate but a different kind of rock (phyllite or schist). The white line going across it is actually a part of the original rock: a crack that filled in with a white mineral, most likely quartz.

The problem with this kind of rock is that the mineral grains are typically much coarser than slate, and less uniform. Although it could be ground flat, it will never be as flat and smooth as slate because some of the swirly bands are composed of minerals that are harder than the surrounding bands. I suspect the pool-table manufacturer got these slabs as surplus from another kind of manufacturer and is re-purposing them for pool tables. One more reason to avoid this table.

Last edited:

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Interesting "slate" on that table. It appears to not be slate but a different kind of rock (phyllite or schist). The white line going across it is actually a part of the original rock: a crack that filled in with a white mineral, most likely quartz.

The problem with this kind of rock is that the mineral grains are typically much coarser than slate, and less uniform. Although it could be ground flat, it will never be as flat and smooth as slate because some of the swirly bands are composed of minerals that are harder than the surrounding bands. I suspect the pool-table manufacturer got these slabs as surplus from another kind of manufacturer and is re-purposing them for pool tables. One more reason to avoid this table.
That is Chinese slate. Some are veiny like that. It is hit or miss on flatness. The veins make it tough to grind I guess.

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is Chinese slate. Some are veiny like that. It is hit or miss on flatness. The veins make it tough to grind I guess.

Exactly, and "slate" should be in quotes. Just like "Brunstone" isn't slate (it's sandstone), those Chinese slabs are phyllite or schist. Still a metamorphic rock like slate, but with a coarse grain size and uneven hardness. The darker parts are richer in mica and chlorite (soft) and the lighter parts are richer in feldspar and quartz (hard). Bad choice for a pool table surface...

Last edited: