Is this a legal shot?

Los Gatos Taki

Registered
Many years ago, I used to see this type of shot to perform safeties, when the cue ball was extremely close to an object ball. One would use this type of motion to just tap the object ball. This was done by many pro players, Later, I was informed by an BCA Instructor, that this type of motion was deemed illegal as there was not a legal forward motion. I do not see the pros perform this any more, They use a short stroke with an obvious forward motion

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used more forward motion than I meant to there. I was trying to just flick up. I was looking in the WPA rules for something about forward motion and I couldn't find anything.

Here's a great shot using the same concept, only legal: Cue very high on the CB with an open bridge, i mean very very high...high enough to miscue on purpose. I've even wiped the chalk off my tip first before pulling this shot out of the bag. It's the same brushing concept as the illegal swipe but with a forward stroke, which is legal. It takes a little practice though, but it's quite simple once you get it down.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a great shot using the same concept, only legal: Cue very high on the CB with an open bridge, i mean very very high...high enough to miscue on purpose. I've even wiped the chalk off my tip first before pulling this shot out of the bag. It's the same brushing concept as the illegal swipe but with a forward stroke, which is legal. It takes a little practice though, but it's quite simple once you get it down.

A deliberate miscue is illegal, so it's a foul as well.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A forward motion is best understood to be similar to a punch to the head on a cheater. It's not a glancing blow. It's a straight backward and forward motion. They won't have to look the rule up next time.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at the video and pausing it it looks like a foul anyway as his tip is still on the ball after the ball has moved about half an inch.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Here's the WSR rule about intentional miscues:

6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct

The normal penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is the same as for a serious foul, but the
referee may impose a penalty depending on his judgment of the conduct. Among other
penalties possible are a warning; a standard-foul penalty, which will count as part of a threefoul
sequence if applicable; a serious-foul penalty; loss of a rack, set or match; ejection from
the competition possibly with forfeiture of all prizes, trophies and standings points.
Unsportsmanlike conduct is any intentional behavior that brings disrepute to the sport or
which disrupts or changes the game to the extent that it cannot be played fairly. It includes
(a) distracting the opponent;
(b) changing the position of the balls in play other than by a shot;
(c) playing a shot by intentionally miscuing;
(d) continuing to play after a foul has been called or play has been suspended;
(e) practicing during a match;
(f) marking the table;
(g) delay of the game; and
(h) using equipment inappropriately.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
A forward motion is best understood to be similar to a punch to the head on a cheater. It's not a glancing blow. It's a straight backward and forward motion. They won't have to look the rule up next time.

It's not a glancing blow.... :bash:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's the WSR rule about intentional miscues:

6.17 Unsportsmanlike Conduct

The normal penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct is the same as for a serious foul, but the
referee may impose a penalty depending on his judgment of the conduct. Among other
penalties possible are a warning; a standard-foul penalty, which will count as part of a threefoul
sequence if applicable; a serious-foul penalty; loss of a rack, set or match; ejection from
the competition possibly with forfeiture of all prizes, trophies and standings points.
Unsportsmanlike conduct is any intentional behavior that brings disrepute to the sport or
which disrupts or changes the game to the extent that it cannot be played fairly. It includes
(a) distracting the opponent;
(b) changing the position of the balls in play other than by a shot;
(c) playing a shot by intentionally miscuing;
(d) continuing to play after a foul has been called or play has been suspended;
(e) practicing during a match;
(f) marking the table;
(g) delay of the game; and
(h) using equipment inappropriately.

I play a lot of one pocket, and if my opponent considers it ok to simply spot a ball and say he's taking a foul without ever touching the CB, or if he taps the CB on top, which is a very common unsportsmanlike move, I'll take pleasure in using my illegal miscue shot whenever the chance arises. Lol.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play a lot of one pocket, and if my opponent considers it ok to simply spot a ball and say he's taking a foul without ever touching the CB, or if he taps the CB on top, which is a very common unsportsmanlike move, I'll take pleasure in using my illegal miscue shot whenever the chance arises. Lol.

You can tap the cueball to take a foul, it is illegal contact of the ball so it's a foul. If you pick up the ball it's also a foul so it's a foul. It does not matter what type of foul it is. What you can't do is just do nothing at all and just walk away saying it's your shot, give me a foul. You can certainly pick up the cueball and give up ball in hand as a foul. Now if you were to say walk up and grab a ball hanging near your pocket and then went "oh, sorry, must be a foul, take ball in hand", that is another thing, the only ball you can address legally is the cueball, if you play the game by going after the object balls directly that would be unsportsmanlike and would result in a heavier penalty such as loss of game.

A deliberate foul, done within the rules is not unsportsmanlike conduct in a game. Now if he just smacked the cue into a stack of balls and then said "sorry I'll take the foul", that is unsportsmanlike conduct and can result in a loss of game. Just tapping the cueball or picking it up with your hand is a foul, but not anything unsportsmanlike.

EDIT, the rules state you can't change the position of balls in play other than with a shot, so picking up the cueball can be an unsportsmanlike foul, whoever you are playing with would have to tap it with the tip to not hit a rail or legal ball for it to be a foul.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can tap the cueball to take a foul, it is illegal contact of the ball so it's a foul.

Technically that would be an intentional foul, therefore unsportsmanlike conduct and a more serous penalty like loss of game. It would be ridiculous to make a big deal out of it, with a few exceptions (e.g., where hitting the cue ball legally would require moving another ball which could change the table layout).

Edit: you addressed this later in your post. :D

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Technically that would be an intentional foul, therefore unsportsmanlike conduct and a more serous penalty like loss of game. It would be ridiculous to make a big deal out of it, with a few exceptions (e.g., where hitting the cue ball legally would require moving another ball which could change the table layout).

Edit: you addressed this later in your post. :D

Intentional fouls are not bad, but should be played with a legal stroke. Here is a good example of intentional fouls used correctly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9y8Lv_A1s

Starting at about the 1:10 mark, he first walks away giving up the shot but is told he has to take a shot even to give up ball in hand, which he does. Intentional foul, but done in a legal way, so only penalty is ball in hand. Now if he smacked the cueball with his hand or swiped at it with side of the shaft, that could have been a loss of game.