Is This a STALEMATE, or is There a SMART WAY OUT?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates options for an interesting end-game situation in 8-ball, originally discussed in another thread. Some people might agree to a stalemate and replay the game, but there are many better options to consider, especially if you are shooting solids. Check it out:

Content:
0:00 - Intro
0:39 - Options for Stripes
---- 0:47 - extract solids a little
---- 2:06 - tie up 8 with balls
---- 3:10 - send 8 in front of a pocket
---- 3:39 - move 8 to tough position
---- 4:03 - jump onto the 11
4:22 - Best Option for Stripes
5:06 - Options for Solids
---- 5:13 - pocket 11 and leave CB safe
---- 5:42 - follow 3 through the 11 with backspin
---- 6:30 - herd the 3 through the 11 with follow
---- 7:19 - pocket the 11 and leave tough shot on the 8
7:59 - Best Option for Solids
8:26 - Wrap Up
---- 8:51 – shot montage

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. DAVE I appreciate you showing us so many options that we can consider that we more than likely wouldn't have even considered.

You're welcome. I aim to swerve. 🤓

I enjoyed making this video. It was fun exploring the different options, and I got lots of good practice in. More importantly, I now know for a fact which options are the best (for me and opponents similar to me).

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that demonstrates options for an interesting end-game situation in 8-ball, originally discussed in another thread. Some people might agree to a stalemate and replay the game, but there are many better options to consider, especially if you are shooting solids. Check it out:

Content:

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Somebody on YouTube recommended I do a follow-up video showing examples where a stalemate is unavoidable or is the best choice. Do you guys have any examples to suggest? I've only had one stalemate in my entire 8-ball history, and I don't think it was the right choice for my opponent (but I was happy to take the offer).

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I always enjoy learning from you. Thank you for your contributions Dr. Dave. I can't tell you how many of your videos I have watched more than 10 times!

I'm glad to hear it. You're welcome, and thank you!

I aim to swerve. 🤓

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great info, as usual.

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it.

I can't believe how hard I laughed at 7:35 when Efren's voice
chimed in saying 'well, I got lucky'. LOL

Some people think I've used that Efren audio clip too much.
I respectfully disagree. That clip never gets old to me.
I haven't used Efren's 8-ball dance video clip in a while. Maybe I'll try to incorporate it into my next video. :unsure: 🤓

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Somebody on YouTube recommended I do a follow-up video showing examples where a stalemate is unavoidable or is the best choice. Do you guys have any examples to suggest? I've only had one stalemate in my entire 8-ball history, and I don't think it was the right choice for my opponent (but I was happy to take the offer).

Can anybody think of any good stalemate situations?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deep in a corner pocket 1 solid 1 stripe side by each 😉 with the 8 ball in front so no way to get a legal hit.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Content:

Enjoy!
Awesome dissection of the scenario.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Deep in a corner pocket 1 solid 1 stripe side by each 😉 with the 8 ball in front so no way to get a legal hit.

Thanks. Or the 8 can be the hanger, with a ball frozen in front. Can anybody think of any other situations that would result in a stalemate for good players?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Or the 8 can be the hanger, with a ball frozen in front. Can anybody think of any other situations that would result in a stalemate for good players?

Maybe there really aren't many situations where a stalemate is the right call for a good player.

Does anybody have any other ideas?