Is this normal!?

MINDSEYE153

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, I buy everything in bulk and its been a maybe a year since I placed an order with Atlas so I just wondering if this is now normal.

I'm helping a friend set up his repair shop and I placed an order for a little of everything for him. You know a foot of this and a foot of that, some ferrule stock some pins and inserts, a few taps etc....

So when the order arrives I look everything over and I notice that the linen tube is, how can I say this nicely, NOT what I had expected. I never buy a foot of anything, I always buy by the length so I didn't know what to expect.

Last time I check a foot was 12" not 11" and certainly not 9.5"! Then there's the ID. of the DARK BROWN MAHOGANY LINEN TUBE .625" x .906" x 1 ft. Lets just say it's not .625! Well it is .625 but I had to cut off a 2" piece where the ID. tapered up to .855. It was obvious the the piece sent was the beginning of the length and that the linen that was rolled into the tube wasn't all there.

Then there's the Butt size, again a 1 foot length that was cut at about a 60? angel on one side and arrived with a .500 chip on the other side, which once trimmed and faced wasted about an inch total.

The butt piece arrived 10.5", after it was trimmed up left a usable piece 9.5" and the joint piece arrived 9.5" and once cleaned up left a piece just under 7.5"!

Don't get me wrong the customer service I've received has been excellent, as have been the products. I have been ordering from Atlas for close to 15 years and will continue to do so, but this last order left me scratching my head.

I haven't contacted Atlas about this as my friend was VERY eager to get his supplies and didn't see this as a big enough deal to send things back and wait all over again. Quite frankly he didn't see why was as upset as I was.

So I ask, Is this normal or am I being to anal? Wait don't answer that I know I'm being to anal! But, is this normal?

Paul

Arnot Wadsworth

Senior Cuemaker
Silver Member
MINDSEYE153 said:
Okay, I buy everything in bulk and its been a maybe a year since I placed an order with Atlas so I just wondering if this is now normal.

I'm helping a friend set up his repair shop and I placed an order for a little of everything for him. You know a foot of this and a foot of that, some ferrule stock some pins and inserts, a few taps etc....

So when the order arrives I look everything over and I notice that the linen tube is, how can I say this nicely, NOT what I had expected. I never buy a foot of anything, I always buy by the length so I didn't know what to expect.

Last time I check a foot was 12" not 11" and certainly not 9.5"! Then there's the ID. of the DARK BROWN MAHOGANY LINEN TUBE .625" x .906" x 1 ft. Lets just say it's not .625! Well it is .625 but I had to cut off a 2" piece where the ID. tapered up to .855. It was obvious the the piece sent was the beginning of the length and that the linen that was rolled into the tube wasn't all there.

Then there's the Butt size, again a 1 foot length that was cut at about a 60? angel on one side and arrived with a .500 chip on the other side, which once trimmed and faced wasted about an inch total.

The butt piece arrived 10.5", after it was trimmed up left a usable piece 9.5" and the joint piece arrived 9.5" and once cleaned up left a piece just under 7.5"!

Don't get me wrong the customer service I've received has been excellent, as have been the products. I have been ordering from Atlas for close to 15 years and will continue to do so, but this last order left me scratching my head.

I haven't contacted Atlas about this as my friend was VERY eager to get his supplies and didn't see this as a big enough deal to send things back and wait all over again. Quite frankly he didn't see why was as upset as I was.

So I ask, Is this normal or am I being to anal? Wait don't answer that I know I'm being to anal! But, is this normal?

Paul

Well it sounds to me like their order fetcher was in a hurry when he measured and dropped the material. I am sure they did not notice the tapered tube.

I have ordered from Atlas for many years and I have had very few difficulties with their supplies.

I think you might consider forgiving them for their inattention to detail this time and get on with your work

TellsItLikeItIs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MINDSEYE153 said:
so I just wondering if this is now normal.

Paul
No thats not typical of how they fill their orders. But you should let them know even if you dont expect a refund or replacement.

Only way a company can correct their mistakes is if theyre aware of them.
Ive always found Atlas to be very good to work with.

CueCaps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not Normal of Skokie..

Hi,
I deal with Rich and Dave all the time.
Ive been buying them since '93.
This is not normal.
Just e-mail and tell them this info.
I just had a problem with an item from them.
Dave asured me they are tracing the problem and will get back to me.
I'm sure they will do the same for you.
My stuff comes so well packaged.
With attention to details like that, it's amazing this happened to you.
Maybe a new worker there?
Oh Yea, forgot to mention John.
Richard Welch, He's the boss there.
Thanks Doug (Post Below)

Last edited:

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been dealing with Atlas for 14 plus years. I haven't never had a problem like this. They have sent my order to my home address instead of my shop quit a few times. I had a insert problem that never got resolved but other than that no problems at all. I will have to say that I only deal with Dave or John! I have never heard of Rich though! I know they had a girl Alayny working ther for a while and that is where all the shipping problems come from. Call them I am sure they will take of it!

JBCustomCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well this kind of crap has happened to me more that once when ordering from Atlas. Expecially on the lengths of the 1 foot sections.. So now I type a note at the bottom of the order for them to please make sure that I recieve 12 inches of the 1 foot section I ordered.. I once had the person who was picking my order call me and tell me that the produce is sold +/- 1 inch.. I promptly informed him that If I order 12 in. of something I should recieve 12 in. of product. And so far I have not received any shortage in my shippments..

almer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JBCustomCues said:
Well this kind of crap has happened to me more that once when ordering from Atlas. Expecially on the lengths of the 1 foot sections.. So now I type a note at the bottom of the order for them to please make sure that I recieve 12 inches of the 1 foot section I ordered.. I once had the person who was picking my order call me and tell me that the produce is sold +/- 1 inch.. I promptly informed him that If I order 12 in. of something I should recieve 12 in. of product. And so far I have not received any shortage in my shippments..
I bought some leather that had holes in it,discolored,called Dave,he personally picked me some new stuff and included 6 in of new ferrule stuff, jama ,maybe i spelled wrong,they always make it right for me although i hardly ever had problems

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
MINDSEYE153 said:

Paul
same happened to me a couple times,
particularly with 1 foot sections of the double black
after i did politely point it out to them,
havent had any problem since
matter of fact, last order of a 12" piece,
they sent a 9" and a 6" :)
i've also noticed some variance on the id of the linen

at $3.50 per inch for 1.375" ivorine4
they better be reallyyyyyyyyyy close
i'll accept 11.90" :wink: :wink:

i can picture some young kid in a dark corner at atlas with a chop saw just whizzbangin' away at what LOOKS like 12" :D :D :D :D

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Atlas has always been good to deal with. Everyone makes mistakes. We leave something sitting on the bench sometimes and then find it and know it was supposed to have been in a order that went out. A few days later a customer calls and we make it right.

Eric Wynne

Banned
I've dealt with atlas for years and have had a miner booboo here and there but overall very good service . I would let them know their shortcoming . People make mistakes and being able to forgive them makes life easier on yourself , not going to bring you any bad luck either ...:eek:

TripXQ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
feedback

Let Atlas know about your problem even if you don't pursue it further. Any good business person wants feedback from customers. Praise when things work out great and honest complaints when problems occur. Then the businessman can become a better businessman. Give them a chance to please you.
Tom Gedris, Triple Cross Cues:cool: