Is this the ONLY way to get better at pool?

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Hi everyone!

Today, I tried Shakira's method of seeing the future in my head brain. He said it's the only way to get better at pool, and so far, I'd have to agree.

Make sure you check out his video, too, as his channel could do with a boost.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Absolutely no question -- 1993. But I stopped visualizing your video at 4:21/5:21. Are you broken or is it YouTube?

Anyway, awesome demonstration of the power of visualization. Maybe better than Shakira's. In some ways. But I think you had the wrong link. Here you go -- with 3 billion views:

Shuddy

Silver Member
Absolutely no question -- 1993. But I stopped visualizing your video at 4:21/5:21. Are you broken or is it YouTube?

Anyway, awesome demonstration of the power of visualization. Maybe better than Shakira's. In some ways. But I think you had the wrong link. Here you go -- with 3 billion views:

WAKA WAKA!!

Yeah, I automatically added end cards when uploading but didn’t realize that a video has to be at least 5 minutes long for end cards. YouTube automatically added empty screen time to hit the 5 minutes. I tried to use YouTube’s inbuilt studio tools to remove the end cards and trim the empty screen time, but *shrug* ?

Shuddy

Silver Member
Any youtube pool howto video title I'm leery of.
It’s genuinely really hard. Dr. Dave walks a nice line between information and brevity. Sharivari’s video’s are great for mass consumption, but leave out so much information. I’ve done some more serious videos recently (which I don’t post here because, I don’t know, those videos are my legitimate attempts to share knowledge and make good videos, and I don’t want to feel like I’m using AZB to promote my channel, but I’m happy to post shitty parody videos here), and I feel really awful knowing I’ve said something without giving as much information as possible.

I know that I could make a 5 minute “how to” video that would get a lot more views than a 20 minute video about the drag shot, but I’d feel guilty, or inadequate, if I didn’t explain it thoroughly. I’m really happy with that drag shot video, and I think anyone who can sit through 20 minutes will learn a lot, but a 5 minute video on “the secret to using English” is going to get a lot more attention. I’ve written enough essays to know there’s an art to presenting information concisely, and I can definitely work on that in a video format, but I could never cover everything i want to about the drag shot in 5 minutes.

It’s tricky.

Dealing with companies is also tricky. My YouTube channel is tiny, and I’ve already been contacted by a company that wanted to reward me financially, do a zoom interview, and use some of my material on their website. But as anyone who has watched a few of my videos knows, there’s some pretty non-pg stuff on there. I felt i had to tell them that Diamond Dave is a mix of a persona doing idiotic stuff, and the real me, and that they may not want to associate with my YouTube channel. And they dropped the enquiries.

Last edited:

pw98

Registered
It’s genuinely really hard. Dr. Dave walks a nice line between information and brevity. Sharivari’s video’s are great for mass consumption, but leave out so much information. I’ve done some more serious videos recently (which I don’t post here because, I don’t know, those videos are my legitimate attempts to share knowledge and make good videos, and I don’t want to feel like I’m using AZB to promote my channel, but I’m happy to post shitty parody videos here), and I feel really awful knowing I’ve said something without giving as much information as possible.

I know that I could make a 5 minute “how to” video that would get a lot more views than a 20 minute video about the drag shot, but I’d feel guilty, or inadequate, if I didn’t explain it thoroughly. I’ve written enough essays to know there’s an art to presenting information concisely, and I can definitely work on that in a video format, but I could never cover everything i want to about the drag shot in 5 minutes.

It’s tricky.

Dealing with companies is also tricky. My YouTube channel is tiny, and I’ve already been contacted by a company that wanted to reward me financially, do a zoom interview, and use some of my material on their website. But as anyone who has watched a few of my videos knows, there’s some pretty non-pg stuff on there. I felt i had to tell them that Diamond Dave is a mix of a persona doing idiotic stuff, and the real me, and that they may not want to associate with my YouTube channel. And they dropped the enquiries.
I have bought several of Dr Dave's videos and gained a ton from them they are so much better than the stuff that is posted. At this point I don't even watch youtube howto videos anymore because they seem to be a waste of time. Like for every video I watch I will maybe learn something that can be summed up in like one sentence that I will probably forget anyways. Basically it seems most of the titles are clickbait for lower level players.

I guess it can be summed up that I'm at a level where I pocket balls well, know many shots and routes, and control the cueball well but when I make a mistake it almost always comes down to bad cueball control or shot choice and that is something that will be fixed with experimentation and repetition, not watching videos.

I'm not saying there aren't videos out there that would help me, I'm sure there are, they just dont seem to be available on youtube or if they are I don't have the time to watch 100 clickbait videos to find a video clip that has a tiny bit relevent information.

I tried ordering Little Joe's videos on cueball control but they never shipped and he isn't answering his emails so I am in the process of charging back paypal. Bummer.

So basically my experience is the best material has to be purchased and youtube is just (mainly) regurgitated clickbait videos for novice and intermediate players.

Shuddy

Silver Member
I have bought several of Dr Dave's videos and gained a ton from them they are so much better than the stuff that is posted. At this point I don't even watch youtube howto videos anymore because they seem to be a waste of time. Like for every video I watch I will maybe learn something that can be summed up in like one sentence that I will probably forget anyways. Basically it seems most of the titles are clickbait for lower level players.

I guess it can be summed up that I'm at a level where I pocket balls well, know many shots and routes, and control the cueball well but when I make a mistake it almost always comes down to bad cueball control or shot choice and that is something that will be fixed with experimentation and repetition, not watching videos.

I'm not saying there aren't videos out there that would help me, I'm sure there are, they just dont seem to be available on youtube or if they are I don't have the time to watch 100 clickbait videos to find a video clip that has a tiny bit relevent information.

I tried ordering Little Joe's videos on cueball control but they never shipped and he isn't answering his emails so I am in the process of charging back paypal. Bummer.

So basically my experience is the best material has to be purchased and youtube is just (mainly) regurgitated clickbait videos for novice and intermediate players.
Right, that’s the other problem. I don’t want to make videos on stuff that has been done 20 times already, which means getting into more niche shots or esoteric topics, which means more detailed explanations, and stuff that will bore more people.

And I totally use titles that I think will grab eyes. It’s hard enough already to get any attention on YouTube. “A detailed explanation of the drag shot” isn’t going to attract anyone.

By the way, you sound like the kind of person my more serious videos are aimed at. People who know how to play, but would like a little more detail about certain shots. Check out my video on the drag shot and my video on Ko Pin Yi’s shot in the final rack of the Asian 9 ball Open. I’d appreciate some feedback.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out my video on the drag shot and my video on Ko Pin Yi’s shot in the final rack of the Asian 9 ball Open. I’d appreciate some feedback.
Very good production and i see many players would get better just by watching it with thought. I especially liked fact that just follow can be, and will be actually english after contact to rail! Very important thing to learn.

Shuddy

Silver Member
Very good production and i see many players would get better just by watching it with thought. I especially liked fact that just follow can be, and will be actually english after contact to rail! Very important thing to learn.
The "with thought" part is the problem :)

pw98

Registered
Right, that’s the other problem. I don’t want to make videos on stuff that has been done 20 times already, which means getting into more niche shots or esoteric topics, which means more detailed explanations, and stuff that will bore more people.

And I totally use titles that I think will grab eyes. It’s hard enough already to get any attention on YouTube. “A detailed explanation of the drag shot” isn’t going to attract anyone.

By the way, you sound like the kind of person my more serious videos are aimed at. People who know how to play, but would like a little more detail about certain shots. Check out my video on the drag shot and my video on Ko Pin Yi’s shot in the final rack of the Asian 9 ball Open. I’d appreciate some feedback.
Ok. I will check them out.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Check out my video on the drag shot and my video on Ko Pin Yi’s shot in the final rack of the Asian 9 ball Open. I’d appreciate some feedback.
What's it called, "Get your Kicks with Hookers in Drag! Learn how to Kick, Hook, and Drag, now!" ???