Itchy, swollen eyes?

Zagiflyer

Mr. 15
Silver Member
Lately I've been spending more time than usual in the basement with the lathe and twice now I've had my eyelids and the area under my eyes get itchy and puffy and stay that way for days. I would imagine that the dust is causing the problem but I don't know if it's one type of wood or just dust in general. Has this happened to other people?

I will admit that my dust control is very poor right now, I only have a shop vac and I suck up the dust occasionally as I work but the dust gets everywhere. If I want to continue my hobby working on cues I'm going to need to do something because this can't go on and I work in my basement so I don't the whole house to get contaminated. Here's what I'm thinking to improve things, please let me know if you have additional suggestions.

1.) Switching from safety glasses to goggles.

2.) Wearing dust mask/respirator whenever cutting or gluing.

3.) Made box around the Cuesmith Deluxe to keep dust in smaller area when using router.

4.) Buy shop dust collector and put a port into the Cuesmith box to suck out some/most of dust while the router is running.

5.) Buy overhead, hanging air filter unit and leave it on to collect floating dust particles.

6.) Put better quality, HEPA filter in shop vac.

7.) Possibly get portable, home air purification unit and keep it upstairs in living area to further clean the air.

I should have done some of this stuff a long time ago but I didn't have any problem for a couple of years. For the last 3 years I was gone from home a lot and not downstairs much (4-6 cues a year), now I'm home a lot more (out of work for awhile) and spending a lot more time making dust. I've got to do something because if this keeps up with my eyes I'll have to get another hobby. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cocobolo does that to my eyes. It gets worse every time. I stopped using it except for in the cues I already had in progress. I don't think there is much you can do other than quit using it to be completely safe.

I have a full face respirator that also covers my neck. If I'm working on one of the cues with cocobolo (just one more left), I run the shop vac while I'm cutting, then vacuum my clothes and immediately take a shower and change my clothes. It has helped for the most part, but it's easier to just stay away from the wood.

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have thought about full body suits with air feeding into them for people with this problem. I have seen disposable suits that were made from a material like tevex before. I have no idea what they were for. I assume mold or asbestos. If you really want to to work with wood that irritate you this may be a possibility.
That being said I would first look into dust controll. A good system may make all the diffrence. Also don't forget about your lungs! I am working on overkill in my dust collection system. I plan on adding a second large dust collector and 2 hanging air filter units. I already have power run outside the shop, I just need to build the shed to house the collectors. I am also toying with a waterfall dust collector for the return air vent from the shed. That would eliminate virtually all the dust that was sucked into the collector from the room. I have a dehumidifer but I do not know if it will be able to controll the moisture the waterfall would add to the room or not. That is the determining factor of wether I can use it or not. Chris.

shovelmd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
along the same line as Chris stated, you can look into a sandblasting hood. they make a little air compressor that feeds the hood with fresh air from the unit which is outside of course but with that and a pair of those cheap white disposeable coveralls and your set. i cant remember how much it cost now but it did the job. just a suggestion.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had exactly what is described happen to me twice after slicing up chechen burl. At least I believe it was chechen burl...have to ask the friend who passed some my way.

I have never had anything more than a very minor skin sensitivity to anything else.

Kelly

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why I don't make cues from woods I am alergic to.
Cocobola reacts to me like you discribed. Fortunately I only
bought a small piece to test if I reacted to it. There are some other woods
that I have reactions to as well.So I do not deal with them.
I still need good dust control, But I think it is the oil in the cocobola that I am actually alergic to.
Neil

JohnWCCC

Registered
If you are using cocobolo. It can do that. Many get an allegeric reaction to it. It can be like poison ivy. And give a contact dermatitas type reaction, like you described. I get it from snakewood.

John
Williams Custom Cues & Consulting
Pittsburgh, PA
412-860-8258
johnwccc@comcast.net

olsonsview

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look into this subject on the net it can look dismal

I have two dust collectors of 1 micron each and an overhead unit, and a hepa vac. That is not really good enough to insure no health risks. The most dangerous dust is under 1 micron in diameter. SubMicron dust in as little quantity as 1 teaspoonfull can contaminate and make hazardous a normal house. We do not create all that much submicron stuff, but slowly it builds and you have to find a way to stop it. The work room needs to be totally sealed from living quarters, and the heat/cool air must not mingle with living quarters. I am building two such rooms in my basement. The dust collector will be mounted in a separate sealed room with outside venting. The heating duct will be sealed off from that room to prevent positive pressure from back feeding the house. The door into the room has foam seals on all four edges. Is it perfect, heck no, but as good as I can afford to make and not enter a looney bin. In my prior life in the working world I was in charge of hazardous wastes and personal protective wear for a large utility.
The respirator is also needed, and the remote air supply and hood mentioned is under consideration as well. If you can find a used sleep apnea machine cheap, it can supply a steady supply of air, but it needs to be outside the work area to keep you safe.
I cringe when I read about guys using auto and industrial clear coats with just a respirator. They need full body suits like the Tyvek that was mentioned along with gloves and a remote air supply to a hood. Those chemicals absorb into the skin when even mixing them let alone spraying. No you will not die with one exposure, and like cigarettes everyones body is different and it may happen fast or slow, but you are playing roulette with your health my friends. Sorry to dampen the day!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have those little twin window fans mounted to the ceiling above the lathes, it blows the dust down a bit, it helps.

Zagiflyer

Mr. 15
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the information. I bought some stuff today and I'll get it all installed and the situation should be better but we'll see. I still don't know if it is one wood in particular that has caused the problem. I've turned down some Wenge, Goncolo Alves, Maples, Rosewoods and Purpleheatrts lately so it could be any of them or a combination. I wish I would have set up my shop with better dust control in the first place.

RBC

Deceased
Everyone owes it to themselves and anyone who works or comes into their shops to read up on this subject. Most of the machines are useless, and the ratings for them are BS.

Read here:

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/index.cfm

for more than you ever wanted to know. I have one of the Clear View cyclones and it works fantastic. We literally take out several hundred gallons of wood chips and dust each day, and this dust collector keeps the air breathable. It's about time I replace my filters, but it has been a year!

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oops---I was pulling up the website to post this and got derailed while reading the articles about Air compressors and running lines throughout a shop!

Thanks Royce!

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The paint stores sell a disposible full body fresh air suits. Might be a good idea with some woods.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Tony Zinzola said:
Cocobolo does that to my eyes. It gets worse every time. I stopped using it except for in the cues I already had in progress. I don't think there is much you can do other than quit using it to be completely safe.

I have a full face respirator that also covers my neck. If I'm working on one of the cues with cocobolo (just one more left), I run the shop vac while I'm cutting, then vacuum my clothes and immediately take a shower and change my clothes. It has helped for the most part, but it's easier to just stay away from the wood.
This is why I'm getting rid of the coco that I've bought, as it does bad things to my skin. I even wore long sleeves, etc, then the showers, vacuuming, and I have a dust collector and a hanging air filtration unit. It just isn't worth it.
Dave

DBK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How to made cyclone for 15 minutes

In such way one Russian craftsman has made cyclone for 15 minutes. He tells that superb collects sawdust in a bucket and almost all fine dust in a vacuum cleaner. Simply and very effectively.:) I hope it will help you.

123689006.jpg

123689009.jpg

123689013.jpg

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Graciocues said:
The paint stores sell a disposible full body fresh air suits. Might be a good idea with some woods.

Blowes.....sorry, I mean Lowes sells a couple of different versions of the full body suits, along with hoods, eye protection, respirators, and booties in their Paint Dept.

Lisa

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one of these that I use when spraying finish.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Supplied-fresh-Air-Respirator-breathing-vinyl-Hood_W0QQitemZ380064923014QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Work_Saftey_Apparel?hash=item380064923014&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I also have a mask similar to this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Supplied-fresh-Air-Respirator-breathing-half-1-2-mask_W0QQitemZ300259376837QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Work_Saftey_Apparel?hash=item300259376837&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Dick

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are just a bunch of cry babies, suck It up already, don't need no stinking filtration, cough, cough, cough, hack, hack, hack, wait a minute while I cough this other lung up..................:grin-square:

Seriously though, I can tell the stuff is bad, I don't have issues with bad skin allergies like a lot of people, and It still makes me itch a bit, so I can see It really effecting others the way some say. Now when It comes to breathing It in, yeah I am effected By It pretty severely, and It has a way of staying in the shop, even well after attempts to clean It all up. Greg