I've spent way too much time perfecting my fundamentals...Don't be like me.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first started coming up in the pool world I was always surprised by how much time people spent on their fundamentals. Guys that have been playing their whole lives were still putting the majority of their effort into achieving perfect fundamentals. At the time, I thought of fundamentals as beginner stuff, and once you have the basics down you should move on.

Years later, my skill level hit a plateau and I was struggling to make much improvement year to year. My practice routine consisted almost entirely of just playing races against the ghost at home (which was my real problem). After not seeing much improvement against the ghost, I convinced myself that it was my fundamentals that were holding me back.

My fundamentals were actually pretty solid at the time but there was room for improvement in a few areas. So I started making some simple corrections to my fundamentals and I liked the results. I wasn't necessarily performing better but my stroke felt better than ever and I felt like I was on the pathway to big improvement. Every time I corrected a fundamental flaw, I would find another two or three areas of my fundamentals that I wanted to fine tune as well. Down the rabbit hole I went chasing perfection, just like the guys I mentioned above in the 1st paragraph.

This has been the past 2 or 3 years for me. I haven't been competing much and I've just been hitting balls alone in my basement working on fine-tuning my stroke. The good news is, my stroke feels great. The bad news is, my game hasn't improved nearly as much as I expected at the start of this whole journey.

This past weekend I had an major epiphany. I was checking out Niels Feijen's YouTube channel and I came across his 60 minute tournament prep workout (
). It's mostly a series of shooting drills that he compiles together into a workout. So I gave it a try and quickly realized how inconsistent my shotmaking was on most of these drills. I was really struggling and I quickly realized how much time I've wasted dwelling on my fundamentals and only playing against the ghost.

I realized that all of the time I spent playing the ghost mostly involved short easy shots that I was comfortable with. I wouldn't face many long, tough shots until several balls later in the run when I would get out of line. So for every rack of balls I ran, only a few of the shots would really challenge me. I wasn't consistently challenging myself on every shot. The rest of my practice time typically involved aimlessly running balls with all of my focus on my stroke mechanics.

I now realize that my time would have been much better spent working on pure execution of difficult shots. Just from the few hours I spent on Neil's shotmaking drills this weekend, I can already see massive improvements. My focus on stroke fundamentals was certainly beneficial but it's gone way overboard and I need to get back to actual execution and consistency training. Putting in the hard work that is rarely enjoyable.

My outlook on fundamentals has officially come full circle. Fundamentals really ARE beginner stuff. Perfecting them is important but it's not the end-all/be-all. There is so much more to this game that needs to be mastered. At some point you need to accept what you've got and move on to other areas of development.

Dwelling too much on a tiny fundamental flaw will hold you back way more than the actual flaw ever will. Nobody has a perfect stroke. Nobody ever will have a perfect stroke. There comes a time to stop chasing perfection and work with the tools you've got.

I wonder how much I would have improved if I never started tweeking my fundamentals at all and I just went straight into practicing these shotmaking drills every day. I sure feel like that would have been a better use of my time. The same goes for playing the ghost all the time. Both seemed to have majorly derailed my learning curve. Regardless, I'm back on track and ready to put in the hard work to step up my game. Let's go!

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post. Gets harder and harder to grow the better you get.

I have a question on shot making. If you're struggling on a difficult pot (say make it 1/10 times) should you keep drilling that shot? I'm worried that I'm just actually drilling myself into missing it because it's way more misses than pots.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a question on shot making. If you're struggling on a difficult pot (say make it 1/10 times) should you keep drilling that shot? I'm worried that I'm just actually drilling myself into missing it because it's way more misses than pots.
The best way to combat this is to make the shot a little easier every time you miss and make it a little harder every time you make it.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you Yonger! I don't think it's beneficial to keep missing a shot over and over again. You will just get really good at missing it lol. I would recommend making the shot easier (typically by decreasing the distance and/or shot angle) until you are at least making it 40-50% of the time. Then as you improve you can make the shot harder again and slowly work up to the full shot. You have to learn to walk before you can run. Good question!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I couldn't agree more. Fundamentals are ONE LINK in a chain. Yes, I can hear the people screaming now that without a straight stroke nothing matters. Yes. True. Fundamentals are required. That said, the vast majority of people spend way too much time working on this one link at the neglect of other links holding them back, and they plateau as a result. Worse, they suck the joy out of the game and become too controlled and forced trying to find the magic stance that makes the game easier.

I recorded this 2.5 years ago. My thoughts have evolved since then but it's still pretty relevant.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder how much I would have improved if I never started tweeking my fundamentals at all and I just went straight into practicing these shotmaking drills every day. I sure feel like that would have been a better use of my time. The same goes for playing the ghost all the time. Both seemed to have majorly derailed my learning curve. Regardless, I'm back on track and ready to put in the hard work to step up my game. Let's go!
i think the reason you can benefit from these new areas of drills is because of all the work you did to improve your fundamentals
if you cant hit where you are aiming you cant be consistent
jmho
icbw
i havent read any replies to your post

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the reason you can benefit from these new areas of drills is because of all the work you did to improve your fundamentals
if you cant hit where you are aiming you cant be consistent
jmho
icbw
i havent read any replies to your post
I'm sure that is certainly true to some extent. Hopefully my future self can look back on this time and be thankful for the work that I put in. At the moment, it seems like I went overboard on the fundamentals and neglected many other aspects of the game.

Reactions: bbb

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first started coming up in the pool world I was always surprised by how much time people spent on their fundamentals. Guys that have been playing their whole lives were still putting the majority of their effort into achieving perfect fundamentals. At the time, I thought of fundamentals as beginner stuff, and once you have the basics down you should move on.

Years later, my skill level hit a plateau and I was struggling to make much improvement year to year. My practice routine consisted almost entirely of just playing races against the ghost at home (which was my real problem). After not seeing much improvement against the ghost, I convinced myself that it was my fundamentals that were holding me back.

My fundamentals were actually pretty solid at the time but there was room for improvement in a few areas. So I started making some simple corrections to my fundamentals and I liked the results. I wasn't necessarily performing better but my stroke felt better than ever and I felt like I was on the pathway to big improvement. Every time I corrected a fundamental flaw, I would find another two or three areas of my fundamentals that I wanted to fine tune as well. Down the rabbit hole I went chasing perfection, just like the guys I mentioned above in the 1st paragraph.

This has been the past 2 or 3 years for me. I haven't been competing much and I've just been hitting balls alone in my basement working on fine-tuning my stroke. The good news is, my stroke feels great. The bad news is, my game hasn't improved nearly as much as I expected at the start of this whole journey.

This past weekend I had an major epiphany. I was checking out Niels Feijen's YouTube channel and I came across his 60 minute tournament prep workout (
). It's mostly a series of shooting drills that he compiles together into a workout. So I gave it a try and quickly realized how inconsistent my shotmaking was on most of these drills. I was really struggling and I quickly realized how much time I've wasted dwelling on my fundamentals and only playing against the ghost.

I realized that all of the time I spent playing the ghost mostly involved short easy shots that I was comfortable with. I wouldn't face many long, tough shots until several balls later in the run when I would get out of line. So for every rack of balls I ran, only a few of the shots would really challenge me. I wasn't consistently challenging myself on every shot. The rest of my practice time typically involved aimlessly running balls with all of my focus on my stroke mechanics.

I now realize that my time would have been much better spent working on pure execution of difficult shots. Just from the few hours I spent on Neil's shotmaking drills this weekend, I can already see massive improvements. My focus on stroke fundamentals was certainly beneficial but it's gone way overboard and I need to get back to actual execution and consistency training. Putting in the hard work that is rarely enjoyable.

My outlook on fundamentals has officially come full circle. Fundamentals really ARE beginner stuff. Perfecting them is important but it's not the end-all/be-all. There is so much more to this game that needs to be mastered. At some point you need to accept what you've got and move on to other areas of development.

Dwelling too much on a tiny fundamental flaw will hold you back way more than the actual flaw ever will. Nobody has a perfect stroke. Nobody ever will have a perfect stroke. There comes a time to stop chasing perfection and work with the tools you've got.

The problem is for an older player like myself (mid 60s) when you are dealing with a long shot, especially a long distance between the CB and the OB, I don’t feel like any amount of practicing them is going to help me zero in on making these long tough shots more consistently.

The problem is not that I don’t still have corrected 20–20 vision, but that my 3-D depth perception just tends to get worse the older you get, which I’m sure is the same case with most older pool players.

theyonger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't agree more. Fundamentals are ONE LINK in a chain. Yes, I can hear the people screaming now that without a straight stroke nothing matters. Yes. True. Fundamentals are required. That said, the vast majority of people spend way too much time working on this one link at the neglect of other links holding them back, and they plateau as a result. Worse, they suck the joy out of the game and become too controlled and forced trying to find the magic stance that makes the game easier.

I recorded this 2.5 years ago. My thoughts have evolved since then but it's still pretty relevant.

Thanks everyone for the tips on shot making.

Tin Man, your video is the perfect video for me at my skill level. You called me out so directly, I 100% relate to what you said. Wonderful video

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever had a competent instructor/coach look at your fundamentals and discuss with you the things you have to work on?
No. There aren't any instructors in my area that I would consider competent. Much of my understanding of proper fundamentals comes from Mark Wilson's book.

All of the changes I made to my fundamentals were definitely improvements. So I didn't mean to insinuate that I screwed up my fundamentals by tweaking them. I just think I spent way too much time on revamping my fundamentals and that time could have been better utilized in other areas of development.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No. There aren't any instructors in my area that I would consider competent. Much of my understanding of proper fundamentals comes from Mark Wilson's book.

What is your area, roughly? Web-based instruction (e.g. Zoom) is also a possibility.

It is hard for any of us to see our own faults. At pool, even if we see them, it's hard to tell exactly what is wrong or how to fix them. I think instruction beyond books is vital.

Zerksies

I'm not looking for perfection, but I am trying to be the best that I can be. When I play and miss I try to evaluate what went wrong. I guess you might say Zen like i am trying to be self aware of my movements.

I recently fixed my timing on my shots which was easy.

But what has been an issue is with movement in my swing. I find that I am swinging to fast and i am moving left to right in the process. So now i am now aware of it and slowing down to possibly break the habit. When i slow it down my stroke is straight. In the process i have to pay attention to the object ball when i pull the trigger.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I'm not looking for perfection, but I am trying to be the best that I can be. When I play and miss I try to evaluate what went wrong. I guess you might say Zen like i am trying to be self aware of my movements.

I recently fixed my timing on my shots which was easy.

But what has been an issue is with movement in my swing. I find that I am swinging to fast and i am moving left to right in the process. So now i am now aware of it and slowing down to possibly break the habit. When i slow it down my stroke is straight. In the process i have to pay attention to the object ball when i pull the trigger.

Try Jeanette Lee's YouTube explanation. It's pretty darn good. She was there before stroke, pause finish. She is more of an accelerator

Zerksies

Try Jeanette Lee's YouTube explanation. It's pretty darn good. She was there before stroke, pause finish. She is more of an accelerator

I know stoke mechanics well.

I'm not much of a pauser. I've tried it too many times and every time the results are never good with a long pause. I'm probably good with a half second or quarter second. But I'm having success with the slow pull back a micro pause and go. Now it's just working on the discipline

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fundamentals are the foundation of your stroke and your entire game. Without solid repeatable fundamentals you will be forever lost not knowing what your doing wrong. Spend whatever amount of time you feel it takes to get them solid and the results will be amazing.

I give credit to Randy Goettlicher and Scott Lee (RIP Scott you are missed but not forgotten) for tearing my approach to the game down and rebuilding it. BEST money I ever spent on pool was lessons with them, for three long days, in Charlotte years ago.

Do not neglect the fundamentals or you will pay the price when you play someone that has not neglected them!

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I know stoke mechanics well.

I'm not much of a pauser. I've tried it too many times and every time the results are never good with a long pause. I'm probably good with a half second or quarter second. But I'm having success with the slow pull back a micro pause and go. Now it's just working on the discipline
I'm the same. The longer I play the more pause that tends to happen but I could use a more gradual approach to the stroke. I slow stroked when I started playing and got a lot more spin.